Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good reads about travelling in a van?

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I read a book last night called, 'Alpine and Other Adventures' about a family who travelled in first a caravan and then a motor home in the Alps. It was a free read on Kindle Unlimited. I had a search but couldn't find many books about campervan experiences. Can anyone recommend any good reads about travelling around Europe in a campervan please? Thanks.

'Drive Nacho Drive' is about a couple who sell up, buy a T25 and drive it through the Americas. I enjoyed it. Not a Cali so not suitable for snobs ;)
(seems to also be on Kindle Unlimited)

As above, the Nacho books are good (It started as a Westy, so you don't have to panic about the Cali heritage). There is a second one called 927 Days of Summer.

I enjoyed the Long and Whining Road too.

A Mitsibishi rather than a VW, but this is excellent: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1482769956/?tag=eliteelect-21
Made me want to pack the van and go.

Thanks everyone. Please keep them coming!

I've just started 'Travels with Charley' written by John Steinbeck. Enjoying it so far...I love how he describes having doubts before he sets off...I get that! But once on the road, the adventure begins...image.jpg

Enjoying this thread. Nice to read about other's adventures during these winter evenings..

Nothing to do with cars or vans but just finished the best book I have read in ages, the goldfinch by Donna tartt

The Kombi Trail by Cox Sherwin & Thompson pub Taurus epic journey in early 60s - amazing story
Wide Eyed Wanderers R Ligato pub Pop Top Publishing - round the world in a Bay
Inshallah by Kevin Jones Telemation Publishing - Middle East travel adventure in a Bay
In The Circle of the Sun Ann Woodin Collier-Mcmillan another epic round the world in a bay journey
and
Campervan Crazy by David and Cee Eccles pub Kyle Cathie - whilst about life with a Camper and the bus scene, it has several epic travel stories as chapters - us going to Afghanistan and India in a Split in '76, a family traveling S America in a split in late 50's, Crossing Africa south > north, wilderness snow trail to Mount Shasta in US, plus some more!

The Kombi Trail by Cox Sherwin & Thompson pub Taurus epic journey in early 60s - amazing story
Wide Eyed Wanderers R Ligato pub Pop Top Publishing - round the world in a Bay
Inshallah by Kevin Jones Telemation Publishing - Middle East travel adventure in a Bay
In The Circle of the Sun Ann Woodin Collier-Mcmillan another epic round the world in a bay journey
and
Campervan Crazy by David and Cee Eccles pub Kyle Cathie - whilst about life with a Camper and the bus scene, it has several epic travel stories as chapters - us going to Afghanistan and India in a Split in '76, a family traveling S America in a split in late 50's, Crossing Africa south > north, wilderness snow trail to Mount Shasta in US, plus some more!
Thanks David. I bet you couldn't image going back to Afghanistan now in your splitty. Is the last one on Kindle or just hard copy?

I don't know about e-books ... it's just been reprinted in paperback ....
one of the things that strikes me about the overland stories is how much has been lost forever in past 40 years .. and when you read the Whining Road's parts about Syria you realise how even more rapidly the pace of mindless destruction is moving ...
I am glad we did it when we were young and had no fear (oh the naivety of being young) and saw what we did ...I still get emotional about the destruction of the Buddhas of Bamyan ...
nowadays its comfy safe stuff in a cosy Cali ... and reading about the adventures of others!

The Kombi Trail by Cox Sherwin & Thompson pub Taurus epic journey in early 60s...... - round the world in a Bay....... - Middle East travel adventure in a Bay
In The Circle of the Sun Ann Woodin Collier-Mcmillan another epic round the world in a bay journey...... us going to Afghanistan and India in a Split in '76, a family traveling S America in a split in late 50's, Crossing Africa south > north, wilderness snow trail to Mount Shasta in US, plus some more!
Wow! I'm having to pluck up courage to leave the island of Britain...!

Back