Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good morning

scimmiamagia!

scimmiamagia!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello. New to the forum. New to the California. Not new to VW though. Several Golfs including a 2012 R that I really regret selling.

Anyway, no time for nostalgia...

We are looking for a California and interested to know if anyone has any tips on how to determine their value secondhand?

Because of the varying specifications, it is impossible to use Parkers, etc, and we have seen a number around the £50-£55k mark varying in age, mileage and specification that makes it very difficult to know what represents good value or not versus a new one which on the face of it, isn't a lot more than some of the secondhand vehicles around at the moment.

We are not looking for a bargain, but a well-priced California, with average mileage, etc.

Also, and I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but do I the Ocean or do I the Beach? Has anyone bought one and wished they had bought the other?

:welcome

The Ocean, Coast, Beach debate !
you know how to get a reaction on your first post ;)

Best advise, think how you will use the van , how many people you’d like to carry comfortably, wether you will cook in the van, if you want a big bed or a smaller bed (downstairs) if you want fixed furniture or adaptable space, if you want manual of Hyro electric roof . What options are important to you such a night heater, cruise control, Led Headlights Etc.
in general the Ocean will have more toys as standard, but that Should not discount the other Models.
Similarly Engine & transmission variants will affect prices, older vans T5 / 5.1 are older Euro emissions which may make it less economical if travelling regularly in cities and restricted areas.

Despite what many might tell you ther is no right and wrong answer, there is merely choice, which IMO is a good thing.

A High spec Beach is far rarer than an Ocean, high spec coast even rarer. (Due to short production run of the later in U.K. spec) = Oceans are pretty common and easier to pick up a run of the mill & compare in cost / spec due to the standard spec being higher than the other offering, but this is an offset against cost.

Regarding prices : there is no such thing as a cheap Cali, new or second hand, set a notional budget, look within that budget and go for what you want, you will find a very wide spread of cost vs age, mileage , extras etc.

New may currently be an option but be aware the order book may close whilst your looking whilst you prevaricate (T6.1 Transporter are no longer available to order new, the Cali is in its various guises).
Second hand residual prices are and have been strong for a long time , in part due to VWs ever increasing list price of a new vehicle.

have a good read of the forum you’ll pick up a wealth of information, some will stick, some won’t.
Don’t be afraid to ask, you’ll get lots of opinion (wether you like it or not ). The wealth of knowledge here regarding the camping side of things is second to none.

There are some who have had one model and switch to the other. Peoples perspective changes with their usage of the Van and changes in circumstances. All models are capable camping vehicles.
If you can go see some In The flesh it will help to recognise the differences and how that affects your perception of how you’ll use it.

Keep an open mind Year, mileage, spec etc, look at each vehicle on its merits vs what you “need” from the van insofar as how you think you’ll use it.

Full service history is a bonus, residual factory warranty or Factory extended warranty (can be transferred to new owner) , as can the All in warranty.
Service history is a good indicator of how the van has been cared for, not necessarily VW dealer history aftef 3/ 5 years but you should be checking service history has been carried out at specified intervals, much like any other prospective vehicle purchase.

I wish you luck in your decision making process & hope you find the under priced unicorn ! :cheers

I’d echo @Perfectos. If you need / want a high spec regards driver assistance, electric roof etc., the Ocean represents better value for money than a specc’d up Coast Or Beach If you want a basic spec then a Coast or Beach without options will be the best buy. If you don’t want a fixed kitchen and wardrobe, and need more of a people carrier that camps, then go for a Beach. Oceans are more numerous so if the normal rules apply, should represent better value.

Think carefully once you're getting into the mid £50ks as you're not far off a (discounted) new one, currently about £66k for an Ocean I think through DTD. A new one you'll have to wait for, but you'll get 3 years of warranty on it and 0 miles, plus all the latest upgrades as they've added bits on over the years (things like the reversing camera didn't used to be standard on an Ocean). This was our thought process, it seemed daft to not expand our budget slightly to get a brand new vehicle, although not everyone has the capacity to expand budget of course.

Oceans are kitted out with everything, but have a slightly smaller "free space" inside. Beaches have less kit and are cheaper (but I'd suggest not necessarily better value on the "toys" front), but are better as a vehicle used for stuff other than camping (e.g. lugging furniture etc..).

Last point; peruse the standard features list and decide if an Ocean has stuff a Beach doesn't but you consider essential. If so, it'll be a far less arduous search looking for a vehicle that has those wanted features as standard than trying to scour for one with specific extras.

Thanks, everyone. Have test driven an Ocean with 4motion and 200ps. Am looking for a 150ps front-wheel drive to compare. I assume the 150ps is good for towing? We don't tow caravans or big stuff but need the capacity. And are things like Dynamin Chassis Control worth the extra expense? Easy to get carried away with the configurator.

I wouldn’t bother with DSC….it’s a campervan! The 150 is adequate for towing. I suspect with towing 2WD vs 4WD is more likely to be the issue if you’re on steeper roads and/or slippery surfaces (leaves etc)

Thanks, everyone. Have test driven an Ocean with 4motion and 200ps. Am looking for a 150ps front-wheel drive to compare. I assume the 150ps is good for towing? We don't tow caravans or big stuff but need the capacity. And are things like Dynamin Chassis Control worth the extra expense? Easy to get carried away with the configurator.
I’ve had both California Ocean FWD MY20 and now have the Ocean 4Motion MY23.
The 4Motion drives, feels a lot more planted, less body roll, and solid.
If your going to keep it for 15 years +
Go with 4M, you won’t be disappointed.
Don’t have. DCC.
Not sure if you can actually configure and buy a new 4M now.

4Motion is not available from new at the moment, so finding an ocean with 4Motion, three rails for extra seat, parking heater and towbar is like the proverbial teeth of a hen.

By the way, is the parking heater an effective way to clear the windscreen or is it best to get a heated windscreen? We loved the heated windscreen in the Discovery, when it was needed, but TBH, the parking heater did the job just as effectively, once we had remembered to set the timer.

4Motion is not available from new at the moment, so finding an ocean with 4Motion, three rails for extra seat, parking heater and towbar is like the proverbial teeth of a hen.

By the way, is the parking heater an effective way to clear the windscreen or is it best to get a heated windscreen? We loved the heated windscreen in the Discovery, when it was needed, but TBH, the parking heater did the job just as effectively, once we had remembered to set the timer.
Parking heater is great to clear the windscreen and warm the car up in winter.
Don’t like heated screen as the fuzzy lines annoy me when driving, even with polarised sun glasses on !

Parking heater is great to clear the windscreen and warm the car up in winter.
Don’t like heated screen as the fuzzy lines annoy me when driving, even with polarised sun glasses on !
Conversely, I actually find the heated windscreen very useful :)

I can see the heated windscreen being useful after you have set off and have a nice toasty van using the parking heater to start with. Often we freeze up after setting off due to the moisture on the screen particularly when there is freezing fog. It's all a bit health and safety overload, tbh.