Getting the factory towbar in ..

• Thread starter This_one_goes_to_eleven
  • Start date
T

This_one_goes_to_eleven

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Watched a lovely video on how to mount the towbar.

He literally just slides it in nice and simple, looks like he could do it with 1 finger .

I have a lot of resistance to get it in and don’t to want to be pushing too hard in case I’m missing something.

Am I missing something or can they need quite a lot of force?

(I have moved the dust cap )

Have you actually got it in yet at all? The detachable part of the towbar needs to be in the correct setting and showing green (I think rather than red).

I remember 1st time having an issue until I worked that out. Should be on a youtube video somewhere which shows that part of how it should look.

It goes in really easily and without much force, or it won't go in at all if not in the correct position to do so.

You do need to pull the knurled knob out before turning it - it should then lock open. You can then insert it easily Into the receiver and it will clunk and lock itself.

Yep I had the same issue.
Mines in, and not coming out anytime soon.
Nice bumper protector :thumb

Yep I had the same issue.
Mines in, and not coming out anytime soon.
Nice bumper protector :thumb
One reason why I opted for a fixed towbar. Might not look as tidy as a detachable hook, but it does save me keeping it greased and tidy, and sitting on my knees to put the hook in place.
Best thing is, when I drive the van, I don't see the back of the van.
And it protects the bumper a bit.

I found it easy enough to put the removable towbar in its socket, once the locking mechanism had been "primed" using the key before initial insertion, but having then removed it for the first time I find I can not "unprime" it and so the key remains in place - the whole tow bar no longer fits properly in the tool case in the boot like it did and probably only would do if I pared a bit of plastic off the tool case. Am I missing a trick here? I notice that Cali Chris doesn't address this matter in his video about tow bars.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and come up with a solution?

If the towbar is still "primed" after removal, with one hand rotate the locking handle clockwise slightly to apply more pressure to the internal spring.

Whilst keeping tension on the spring, with your other hand push and hold in the single ball bearing below the top three ball bearings . Then you can rotate the locking handle anticlockwise to fully release the mechanism and remove the key.

Back