Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

gearbox

C

caliharry

VIP Member
Returning home on the Motorway got into heavy traffic crawling along stop starting first & second gear work this carried on for two hours after about one and three quarter hours it became difficult to get into gear (manual gearbox) pretty scary moments nowhere near an exit, traffic clears slowly managed to get into gears for journey home been running around for about a week then suddenly develop noise from gearbox not a bad noise if the radio is on you cannot hear it,second gear is the most pronounced it is not coming wheels or brakes my Cali is 2006 SE 130 PS TDI PD. :help

It's a while since I had a vehicle that needed a replacement clutch, but I'm sure that difficulty getting into gear was an early symptom before it gave up.

I've no idea how long a clutch should last nowadays, but will depend on the sort of driving. My mother had a replacement clutch in a Landrover Disco, Passat and Golf over the years but I reckon it was because she never took her foot fully off the clutch and mostly drove around town. She's now got a Polo DSG to solve the problem. :D

Andy

I think a number of vehicles seem to be designed with the larger frame (typically men) in mind. The results in smaller people (typically women) wanting to rest their left foot on the clutch for comfort purposes. At least cars no longer have manual chokes that would otherwise be used to locate handbags!!!!

It may be the dual mass flywheel that is packing up.
I had similar symptoms on a Skoda Octavia 130 TDi. The noises went away for a while so I ignored it until I lost drive with horrendous noises from the gearbox. Ended up with a rebuilt gearbox and new clutch flywheel assembly. hardly any wear on the clutch plate though after 65k miles, just the dmf conking out. Well known problem.
Best get it checked out to prevent the gearbox going.