soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Ok, help me out here.

The DVLA collect personal information about us. Name, address and birth date etc etc.
We consent them to store these details about us.
But where did we give them permission to sell these details, on to private parking firms and foreign countries for the purpose of issuing speeding fines etc.

Have I misunderstood the GDPR rules...?
I thought I/we had to give consent for how our details are handled/shared.

Therefore, can I write to the DVLA and command that may personal information cannot be shared with anyone outside of the DVLA...?

Private car parking is not law enforcement, but based on contracts.
Sadly, there is a law that permits certain private firms to purchase DVLA data when they can demonstrate a need, which includes these parking scammers.
Ironically, this law was part of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

Last edited:
So there’s a law which by passes the GDPR rules...???

Sorry, I have no idea with laws etc .
But trying to understand how the DVLA can get away with this stuff.
Information to the police, I understand.

But to Keith at Parking Enforcement I’m Gonna Take Your Pants Down.
It just doesn’t seem right...?

Section 2 of your V5C document covers Data Protection. It says:

"DVLA handles your personal data in accordance with road vehicle law and data protection laws. The law allows us to release your data to the police and other enforcement bodies. We also provide data to other parties where the law allows it."

Then there is bit more blurb and it directs you to a link to www.gov.uk/dvla/privacy-policy

As you would expect, they work within the law. Although I don't know for sure, I doubt they give it away to parking firms, but sell it instead.

I think they charge about 75p a transaction to the private firms.

I would expect under GDPR you could request details of who they have sold your data to. I imagine if lots of folks did that it would grind to a halt. I expect they aren't geared up to answer GDPR queries.

I would expect under GDPR you could request details of who they have sold your data to. I imagine if lots of folks did that it would grind to a halt. I expect they aren't geared up to answer GDPR queries.

I like that idea.

A coordinated approach from all motoring forums?

I'd bid against that with an offer of 80p if this is a source of income for the DVLA.:Grin

Back