Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC Oil Consumption

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I had the GC serviced (only done 3500 miles at the time) just before going to Spain and then covering around 3000 miles over 3 weeks.
On return I notice that the dipstick oil level has reduced from full to about 1/4.
According to the manual VW will say this is ok, but I have 2 other VW cars, my son has a T5.2 Kombi done over 200k miles and none of them use any oil.
It is booked in to have some warrantee work done the beginning of Feb, so it is on the list to mention, and most likely I will be fobbed off, but to be prepared do any other GC’s out there use oil? Does it improve with a few more miles on the clock?
It runs absolutely fine, really quiet engine.
TIA

Mine uses a bit, small too up needed after 7500 miles.

I have had two MAN TGEs and the oil consumption varied. First one was top up every 3000 miles, the latest uses a lot less.

Oil level needs to be checked with engine warm. The level varies of checked cold.

I had the GC serviced (only done 3500 miles at the time) just before going to Spain and then covering around 3000 miles over 3 weeks.
On return I notice that the dipstick oil level has reduced from full to about 1/4.
According to the manual VW will say this is ok, but I have 2 other VW cars, my son has a T5.2 Kombi done over 200k miles and none of them use any oil.
It is booked in to have some warrantee work done the beginning of Feb, so it is on the list to mention, and most likely I will be fobbed off, but to be prepared do any other GC’s out there use oil? Does it improve with a few more miles on the clock?
It runs absolutely fine, really quiet engine.
TIA
Its possible there was an air lock and that now shows up as drop in level. After having a similar issue with my Audio S4 after an oil change I now routinely double check myself after engine is warmed up following a service.

Thanks Gordon, that makes me feel a bit better. I’ll get them to top it up to full again using the same oil and then keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys, as mentioned to Gordon that makes me feel a bit better about it.
I’ll keep an eye on it and check with the engine warm.

From 0 to 6500km mine consume about 2/3-3/4 of dipstick length. VW service told me thats normal, especially when the motor is in the break in period.

Back