Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Frustrated, disappointed

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Some weeks ago I posted about fumes coming into the cab. I booked the Cali into Heritage in Bristol and they told me they had found the problem-the result of poor workmanship in Spain last year when a new turbo was fitted.
So 2 weeks ago I paid £1200. This included a new manifold.
I have been super busy but last night set off for France, Spain and Portugal and guess what? I am nearly sick and dizzy with fumes. I’m angry but worse is I don’t want to drive. I’ve got a splitting headache and my judgement is not what it should be.
What does anyone think this could be now. ERG pipe? Fed up in Noimoutier

I can understand your frustration, you throw a load of money at it
and its still not right. :headbang:headbang

I did have a slight whiff of fumes but after a new EGR a few weeks ago
it whiffs no more, but i don't understand how the EGR could fix that problem
but it did.
The reason i had it changed was the lights flashing up on the dash.
Don't lose faith, you've nearly sorted it. :thumb

Either drive with the windows down or whack the air-con on full with the
air taken out button on.

If you look at your engine. Can you see black marks (soot, smoke black) anywhere?
Run your engine while looking at your engine, if possible, let someone push the throttle, can you hear/see/smell where the fumes leak?

Hard to say but you need to find a good dealer that has the expertise. Not all dealers are the same as I recently had the misfortunate to find out.

Also let the vehicle run for a while. It may be contamination of hot surfaces during the manifold replacement. Also see if you have any fuel leaks as well as checking the exhaust for leaks. Also check for any water leaks. Anti freeze mixture on hot surfaces etc.

Sometimes the garages can be so incompetent….

I had a VW Passat - company car from new. A minor glitch was the clock which kept re-zeroing. After 4 1/2 years and repeated visits which cost many hundreds of pounds in replaced circuit boards and labour, I gave up and accepted I had a clock which was not worth the trouble. This was followed by instances where the car would not start - usually at the airport etc etc.

Only to find out just before I replaced the car that it was the battery which was faulty from new, and was replaced under a 5 yr warranty.

Cost my company a lot of completely wasted money ……...

Some weeks ago I posted about fumes coming into the cab. I booked the Cali into Heritage in Bristol and they told me they had found the problem-the result of poor workmanship in Spain last year when a new turbo was fitted.
I have been super busy but last night set off for France, Spain and Portugal and guess what? I am nearly sick and dizzy with fumes. I’m angry but worse is I don’t want to drive. I’ve got a splitting headache and my judgement is not what it should be.
Ah sorry to hear your having problems buddy. All the best getting it sorted. :)

Cracked EGR pipe in my case about 2 months ago, garage in Inverness said they had sorted a few, get it checked asap.

Back