Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Repair warranty fiasco.

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The first part of this thread is titled Repair Warranty Help in the VW California t5/t6 specific section.
It’s not crucial to read because I’ll explain briefly what happened here.
In Spain in July last year a warning light appeared, quickly followed by the van going into limp mode.
VW assistance (who were superb from start to finish) had me delivered to a VW main dealer (not van centre) in Plasencia.
The turbo was found to be at fault and 5 days later I was on my way, £1800 lighter.
To my dismay the van was sluggish and was drinking petrol. It was a slow, disappointing trip to Portugal.
5 weeks later on our return the same light appeared, the same limp mode too and remarkably, the same dealers in Plasencia. Who were unable to find the problem.
The vehicle arrived back in the UK on a trailer and immediately Heritage vw in Bristol diagnosed and replaced a leaking intercooler.
5 weeks ago, just before a trip to France I had a free 34 point check and a service and was told there was a leak from the turbo. Carbon monoxide coming into the cabin.
We were told by Heritage that it was a small leak and would pass through a filter and would be safe to drive. We were unable to get an appointment for repair so we went.Big Mistake.
Difficult week in France being poisoned with toxic fumes.
The van went to Heritage a week ago and they found damage to a gasket between the turbo and manifold that was the result of poor work in Spain.
So the work that was done in Spain is clearly identified in VW blurb as being guaranteed for a year or 12000 miles.
But the repair must be done at the garage that did the original work.
VW assistance will not take the van, I have to get it there, at my expense but of course I can’t drive it because of the fumes.
VW customer service could not have been less helpful and when I told them I was booked on a ferry in early July to travel through Europe and when asked if I could have a replacement vehicle their answer was certainly not.
I paid a few pounds short of £1200 today and I must add that included a new manifold (that the Spanish were not responsible for).
However, I have nowhere to go with my complaint.
VW warranty the work but with a ridiculous inflexibility. I have to get the vehicle to Spain.
My email to the MD bounced back.
Customer service were unhelpful and I’m paying for someone else’s mistakes.
Hugely frustrating and disappointing.

I think the route I would go after your experience if I had such a breakdown is get the van returned to the UK via VW assist to my trusted dealer.

really sorry to here your plight.

Yes, I did eventually did. I didn’t have much choice initially and to be honest, I had respect for the VW brand and it didn’t cross my mind it would be a problem. On the way home I still had confidence but my partner was adamant it should be returned on a trailer. VW assistance were great at this point, booking return flights, cars etc.

Back