Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Parking Sensor Replacement

C

cally

VIP Member
Hi all
Has anyone had to replace a front parking sensor. My research shows that it can't be done without taking the front bumper off. It look like a big job.

Only on my Landrover

They are fairly easy to do but as noted access can sometimes be an issue. Removal of bumpers is fairly easy once you know how or have a workshop manual.

Looks like I may be removing my front bumper. A middle parking sensor has just started to play up.

I’ve still not got around to replacing the one on my front bumper. I have to do the job outside so will have to coordinate it with good weather. I’m still trying to find a way to do it without removing the bumper if that’s possible. Any ideas out there?

What position is it? The middle ones or the outer ones? Maybe there is some acces through the wheel arch. Removing the plastic wheel arch?

Looks like I may be removing my front bumper. A middle parking sensor has just started to play up.
Maybe you can reach it by removing the under plate under the engine? lifting the front bumper up a little and squeezing your hand and arm between the bumper and the front?
Have not looked into mine, so I don't really know.

Have ordered two parking sensors. Will spray both up and keep one spare. It seems to be intermittent at the moment. At the least the benefit of the screen is that it shows which sensor is playing up

Front bumper looks fairly simply to remove.

It's not that simple. I had it done once from a first T5. You need to remove the front bumper for replacing complete headlights. There are some bolts behind the cover plates in the bumper from the T5 and T5.1. Don't know about the T6?

I have an 14year old Discovery 3 so have had practise of removing and replacing bumpers to replace parking sensors. I got it down to put the dogs on the lead, just going to replace a parking sensor and then we'll head off.

Hmmmmm........ just wondering if my new Sportline front spoiler is causing an issue?

When I first picked it up I noted that the returns of the opening within the spoiler (for the middle sensors) just overlapped on to the top of the sensors but they worked, so all seemed fine.

Anyone have any pictures of the middle parking sensors / spoiler clearance for comparison. I've seen the installation notes but the reality is somewhat different.

Driver's side middle sensor is also unaffected.

I can go take a picture now, one sec.

I havent had any issues with my sensors, that I have noticed.

Last edited:
Sorry for the shadow, there is a strange ball of light in the sky

Last edited:
Thanks Matt, you certainly have more clearance than I do.:headbang

The alignment of the front valance appears to be spot on (I cant complain). Squeezing and pushing it I can only just clear the sensor.

Oddly sensor now working again so I will keep an eye on it. I did tiger bond the sides and realign / fine trim at the weekend the returns on the valance as the gap was opening out.

IMG_20190529_185743.jpg

It's not that simple. I had it done once from a first T5. You need to remove the front bumper for replacing complete headlights. There are some bolts behind the cover plates in the bumper from the T5 and T5.1. Don't know about the T6?
I recently replaced a sensor on my rear bumper, there isn’t much space by the chassis frame and the bumper, quite difficult!

Thanks Matt, you certainly have more clearance than I do.:headbang

The alignment of the front valance appears to be spot on (I cant complain). Squeezing and pushing it I can only just clear the sensor.

Oddly sensor now working again so I will keep an eye on it. I did tiger bond the sides and realign / fine trim at the weekend the returns on the valance as the gap was opening out.

View attachment 45602
Are both middle sensors positioned like that?

Within tolerance, maybe a hair lower. Hard to say on the passenger side due to chipped paint at the top of the sensor (not noticed until after the sportline installation). I gave it a quick dab of touch up just in case the hard paint line was causing an issue

IMG_20190529_185750.jpg

Within tolerance, maybe a hair lower. Hard to say on the passenger side due to chipped paint at the top of the sensor (not noticed until after the sportline installation). I gave it a quick dab of touch up just in case the hard paint line was causing an issue

View attachment 45611
Personally, I think that is your problem, not the fact that you have a failed/failing sensor. Very easy to collect water droplets or insects at the top which will affect the operation of the sensor. @MattBW has much more room to play with.
Might be worth a spray of some Silicone to prevent water droplets forming.

First point of call was to give it a wipe without success. (Then a tap!)

Pictures were taken yesterday and I used the Cali later that evening. Mainly to use / abuse the sensors. No problems last night. I was going to check the sensitive of the overlap onto the sensor using some business cards on working sensors but all seemed to be working. I did try this with foam tape originally on the working middle but it didn't pick up the tape across the sensor.

Will use the Cali again tonight so will post back.

Spoke too soon :headbang

Back