Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French Autoroute Scam

RonB

RonB

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
A word of warning about a scam we encountered last week on our way to the ferry in Dieppe, heading northwest on the A13 Autoroute between Paris to Rouen. We were signalling to pull into an Aire to have a lunch stop when we were overtaken by a small car with a yellow rear number plate, which at first glance I assumed to be either Dutch or from the UK, who parked in one of the few unoccupied parking spaces. As I drove past, the italicised style of lettering and combination of letters/numbers didn’t conform to either of these nationalities and the vehicle was not displaying a nationality plate.

As the only couple of available parking spaces were unattractively situated directly opposite the toilet block, we decided to drive on to the next Aire which was only 20k further on. We did this, found a parking space in a sunny spot and with our side door wide open, sat down at our table inside and started our picnic lunch. Midway through, this respectably dressed young guy appeared, asked in a very strong Irish accent if we spoke English, and wondered if we could help him out.

His story was that his car had been burgled the day before and his wallet, etc, had been taken and as he was trying to get back to Ireland, could we possibly help him out with some cash to get him to Cherbourg. Our response was that because of Covid, we weren’t using cash, only plastic, which was true to an extent, and that we had no cash on us. We also queried how he was managing to negotiate a peage autoroute without money and he spun the most ridiculous story about the people in vehicles behind him at the tollbooths giving him money to get him through.

At this point, his mate appeared on the scene and after being told about the ‘no cash’ scenario, suggested that we could drive to a cash point, they would follow us and we could use our plastic to get some money for them. After pointing out we certainly wouldn’t be doing that, they rather disconsolately sloped off and got into the car with the yellow number plate and drove off.

So, on the one hand, a couple of chancers with a pretty poor back story, but on the other, a wake up call to be vigilant in these situations.

I realise that we are not the first potential victims of this type of scam, it exists here as well as abroad. In fact I know of someone with a great white who fell for it and gave someone pulling a similar scam a fair bit of cash. Anyway, no harm done this time but what I’m unsure about is whether they clocked us in the first Aire and then followed us, or was it just chance that they came upon us in the second?

Sounds dodgy for sure but that said, when I was 18 or so I toured europe for a couple of months with some mates, we ran out of money somewhere near Toulouse and had to beg for cash to get back to Dieppe! Luckily the returning Brits at the petrol stations were happy to part with their unused centimes

A word of warning about a scam we encountered last week on our way to the ferry in Dieppe, heading northwest on the A13 Autoroute between Paris to Rouen. We were signalling to pull into an Aire to have a lunch stop when we were overtaken by a small car with a yellow rear number plate, which at first glance I assumed to be either Dutch or from the UK, who parked in one of the few unoccupied parking spaces. As I drove past, the italicised style of lettering and combination of letters/numbers didn’t conform to either of these nationalities and the vehicle was not displaying a nationality plate.

As the only couple of available parking spaces were unattractively situated directly opposite the toilet block, we decided to drive on to the next Aire which was only 20k further on. We did this, found a parking space in a sunny spot and with our side door wide open, sat down at our table inside and started our picnic lunch. Midway through, this respectably dressed young guy appeared, asked in a very strong Irish accent if we spoke English, and wondered if we could help him out.

His story was that his car had been burgled the day before and his wallet, etc, had been taken and as he was trying to get back to Ireland, could we possibly help him out with some cash to get him to Cherbourg. Our response was that because of Covid, we weren’t using cash, only plastic, which was true to an extent, and that we had no cash on us. We also queried how he was managing to negotiate a peage autoroute without money and he spun the most ridiculous story about the people in vehicles behind him at the tollbooths giving him money to get him through.

At this point, his mate appeared on the scene and after being told about the ‘no cash’ scenario, suggested that we could drive to a cash point, they would follow us and we could use our plastic to get some money for them. After pointing out we certainly wouldn’t be doing that, they rather disconsolately sloped off and got into the car with the yellow number plate and drove off.

So, on the one hand, a couple of chancers with a pretty poor back story, but on the other, a wake up call to be vigilant in these situations.

I realise that we are not the first potential victims of this type of scam, it exists here as well as abroad. In fact I know of someone with a great white who fell for it and gave someone pulling a similar scam a fair bit of cash. Anyway, no harm done this time but what I’m unsure about is whether they clocked us in the first Aire and then followed us, or was it just chance that they came upon us in the second?
This is quite a common scam in the UK. Usually the scammer picks on a lone female driver. Spins a story about some problem, usually running out of fuel with no money but needs to help his infirm mother. Says he will pay it ack and hands over a business card (fake) and also offers a "gold" ring as a deposit. Female hands over money, the business address does not exist and the "gold" ring is some heavy base metal made to look like gold - even hallmarked. A friend of mine fell for this a few years ago in Oxfordshire. She reported it to the police who said it was a common scam. There are some unpleasant people out there!

Similar happened to me on my list trip to Barcelona near the french border (in France). Long sob story and I told him to do one.

The scammers are everywhere. A friend was in the Tesco carpark at Wooburn Moor near High Wycombe recently and having loaded her shopping into the boot but not yet closed it, she was approached by a man asking where the nearest Sainsbury’s store was. During that short distraction his accomplice stole her shopping and her handbag which she’d foolishly left with her shopping. She immediately reported it to the police and her bank. In the short time it took for the bank to block her cards the rogues had already done a click and collect sale at Argos and (we assume) a third accomplice had collected the goods. £800 scam. Happily the police have caught the culprits.

I've had this exact same story laid on me at least 4 times in my life - I guess I have a gullible-looking face, being Canadian and all. I can well a bunch of these chancers circulating this ploy naming it #43 or similar in a kind of grifters lingua franca.

Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping. Here is how the scam works:

Two very good looking girls in their twenties come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot. They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy t-shirts. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they will say no and instead ask for a lift to another supermarket, in my case Tesco.

You agree and they both get in the back seat. On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked, then, when you pull over to see what is going on , one of them climbs over into the front and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you initimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!

I have had my wallet stolen 7 times, already this month, including twice yesterday, so please warn all the guys you know to be on the lookout for this scam. The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4.30pm.

Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping. Here is how the scam works:

Two very good looking girls in their twenties come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot. They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy t-shirts. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they will say no and instead ask for a lift to another supermarket, in my case Tesco.

You agree and they both get in the back seat. On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked, then, when you pull over to see what is going on , one of them climbs over into the front and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you initimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!

I have had my wallet stolen 7 times, already this month, including twice yesterday, so please warn all the guys you know to be on the lookout for this scam. The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4.30pm.
Excellent

Who is your wallet supplier and do they offer a discount for buying in bulk?

I saw a story in our local paper recently where a thief stole someone’s wallet and used the debit card to pay for his shopping but he didn’t want to miss out on the Clubcard points and used his own card for that. He was easily identified by the police and arrested. Idiots everywhere.

Back