Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Four motion Cali

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Can anyone tell me of any problems with the four wheel drive California as apposed to a regular two wheel drive. Is it more costly to service for instance and how does the fuel economy compare with the two wheel drive models.

I am looking at a 2015 180 HP DSG 4 Motion with 26,000 miles and a FVWSH One owner and quite a high spec. All cambelts etc. have recently been done

My other conundrum is if I spend around an additional £6,000 I can then get a T6, but it wouldn't be as high a spec as the T5 (Which is around £42,000 plus)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi Can anyone tell me of any problems with the four wheel drive California as apposed to a regular two wheel drive. Is it more costly to service for instance and how does the fuel economy compare with the two wheel drive models.

I am looking at a 2015 180 HP DSG 4 Motion with 26,000 miles and a FVWSH One owner and quite a high spec. All cambelts etc. have recently been done

My other conundrum is if I spend around an additional £6,000 I can then get a T6, but it wouldn't be as high a spec as the T5 (Which is around £42,000 plus)

Any advice would be gratefully received.
The only difference in service between the 2 vehicles, if both 180 BiTurbo with DSG is the Haldex Oil Change, about £90 at 60K miles.
You would tend to find that tyre wear is equal front/rear unlike the FWD equivalent which can get through front tyres quicker if you are a spirited driver and spin the front wheels. That doesn't happen on the 4Motion.

Well there obviously more mechanical parts that may go wrong but they seem to be reliable. We have had three 4motions and only problem is a very small oil weep now on this one at 58k. Personally I think they are nicer to drive but you do pay more at the pump as they are heavier and the drive train absorbs a bit. Ours averages 32mpg, motorways, mountains and everything in between.

You would tend to find that tyre wear is equal front/rear unlike the FWD equivalent which can get through front tyres quicker if you are a spirited driver and spin the front wheels. That doesn't happen on the 4Motion.
I concur: just had a 23.000km service for my 4MO and all four tyres had exactly the same wear (give or take 1mm)

Well there obviously more mechanical parts that may go wrong but they seem to be reliable. We have had three 4motions and only problem is a very small oil weep now on this one at 58k. Personally I think they are nicer to drive but you do pay more at the pump as they are heavier and the drive train absorbs a bit. Ours averages 32mpg, motorways, mountains and everything in between.
Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Just risking flying off on a tangent (!) - my old skoda 4x4 was essentially fwd until it sensed lack of traction, then it invited the rear wheels to join in. If the Cali is like that too (rather than drive split 50/50), wouldn't you still expect tyre wear to be heavier at the front?

Back on track, have we mentioned the usual 4 motion 'consequences' of often missing the 5th seat capability as only 2 rails, and the reduced load carrying capacity (kg) as the max vehicle weight permitted remains the same?

Just risking flying off on a tangent (!) - my old skoda 4x4 was essentially fwd until it sensed lack of traction, then it invited the rear wheels to join in. If the Cali is like that too (rather than drive split 50/50), wouldn't you still expect tyre wear to be heavier at the front?

Back on track, have we mentioned the usual 4 motion 'consequences' of often missing the 5th seat capability as only 2 rails, and the reduced load carrying capacity (kg) as the max vehicle weight permitted remains the same?
No. The T5.1 is 90 - 10 % minimum rising to 50 - 50 on takeoff and cornering.
I’m sure the OP realises about the 5 th seat capability and as far as the load carrying capacity, judging by what many owners seem to carry, that is the last thing on owners minds when they pack up for a trip/holiday. I would bet a significant proportion exceed the MGW. Load capacity 42 Kgms less on the T5.1 180, and 17 Kgms on the T6 199.

I went from a high powered 2WD Touran and specifically went for the 4WD to stop wheel spin, which it does.
I suspect MPG is down as it’s a heavier lump and yes that’s why no 3rd rail for 5th seat.

Mike

The disadvantages are.;- Reduced payload, increased purchase cost and higher fuel cost. Maintenance and reliability nothing worth noting. My 199 does about 32 - 34 mpg on a run so quite a hit vs a 150 2wd.
For me the advantages outweigh this ie traction, better ride.

I changed from 2wd to 4wd T5 2 years ago with no regrets definitely a better ride. It’s not much different in fuel economy but that’s the price you pay. I’ve only done 17k and have had dsg, Hadlex oil changed before needing but just love the vehicle it’s a dream to drive.