Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Four go to Scotland...

powysjune

powysjune

VIP Member
We spent a week in the Highlands and Islands in that brilliantly sunny first week in June and the Cali really came into its own. It powered up the miles of motorway from mid Wales but was also fine on the little ferries and the narrow single track roads of Mull. First time we had used the inner tent that attaches inside our drive away awning (a Kampa Travel Pod 310) and it worked a treat as a sleeping space for the two French friends who came with us, with plenty of room left for a table and four chairs. We stayed at the Red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe and at Fidden Farm on the far west of Mull, both absolutely beautiful. River swimming and mountain walking in Glencoe, campfires on a white sand beach at Fidden Farm enjoying our French friends' aperitifs and bottles of wine. Neither site has electric hook-ups or marked out pitches but that was no problem especially with the good weather and the solar panel on our Cali roof.
I'd been feeling a bit guilty that we haven't been away in the Cali as much as I thought we would when we bought it secondhand in 2014, but this trip reminded me of what a fantastic resource this vehicle is.

Cali at Red Squirrel campsite Glencoe.jpg

Glencoe.jpg

Cali at Fidden Farm on Mull.jpg

Many thanks for posting. We are planning a trip to Scotland in September. Solar panel being fitted soon. Will make a note of both campsites mentioned.
Amazing weather.
Plan B if weather not looking good in September then we will head to North Spain & Portugal instead.

Those pictures are so nice , we are in thr UK for our second time , we did go to the COTF meet in 2013 and now on the last few days on a two week trip arround Wales , check out my tread on it : https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/meet-in-tewksbury-and-than-arround-wales.14426/
Next time we come over is most likely up to Schotland .
It is raining again in Wales now...if you are passing near Newtown in Powys on your way home (SY163LB) you are welcome to call in for a meal and/or overnight stay (and your dog, we have one ourselves). Would like to have a look at all those improvements you have done to your Cali!
June

@powysjune , just arrived at Overton-at-Dee booked in the Trotting Mare campsite .
Just looked at the map not that far from your place...
Guess we will be heading down your way tomorrow or Shrewsbury , have to see.

I recognise the Fidden Farm beach boulders: a truly magic site.
One of my favourites.
Did you get to the 9th Wave, at all?
Another one of my favourites.

I recognise the Fidden Farm beach boulders: a truly magic site.
One of my favourites.
Did you get to the 9th Wave, at all?
Another one of my favourites.
We were on the waiting list for the 9th Wave restaurant but unfortunately no-one cancelled. Yann's risotto on the beach was almost as good though.

Lovely photographs :)

What is on the roof of your Cali? Solar panel?

Many thanks for posting. We are planning a trip to Scotland in September. Solar panel being fitted soon. Will make a note of both campsites mentioned.
Amazing weather.
Plan B if weather not looking good in September then we will head to North Spain & Portugal instead.

Just a note on Plan B:
We're regular West Coast people and the weather is often quite wild: wind rain etc.
But the wildest weather we've experienced EVER was the 4 days we spent wandering from Bilbao, along the north coast of Spain to Portugal. Apart from the industrial pollution in the environs of Bilbao there was serious wind and rain from the west.
On two nights we kept the Cali's elevating roof down such were the conditions. We put on oilies and braved the beach walks (Cathedral Beach especially) and simply hung them up on a line to dry outside overnight in the gales but they never did (we had to tie them on the line, pegs wouldn't do).
Mind you the 4 weeks wriggling down the Portugal coast afterwards were brilliant.
The Scottish west coast sea food was better than on the west coast of Portugal, though.
But the Portuguese black pig dishes were supreme when we went inland.
And the wines.

Whatever, good luck!

Just a note on Plan B:
We're regular West Coast people and the weather is often quite wild: wind rain etc.
But the wildest weather we've experienced EVER was the 4 days we spent wandering from Bilbao, along the north coast of Spain to Portugal. Apart from the industrial pollution in the environs of Bilbao there was serious wind and rain from the west.
On two nights we kept the Cali's elevating roof down such were the conditions. We put on oilies and braved the beach walks (Cathedral Beach especially) and simply hung them up on a line to dry outside overnight in the gales but they never did (we had to tie them on the line, pegs wouldn't do).
Mind you the 4 weeks wriggling down the Portugal coast afterwards were brilliant.
The Scottish west coast sea food was better than on the west coast of Portugal, though.
But the Portuguese black pig dishes were supreme when we went inland.
And the wines.

Whatever, good luck!

Thank you for that, keeps it all in perspective. Holidays are a state of mind after all....but a bit of sun is always welcome:)

Maybe we are just lucky with the weather. Stayed for two sunny days last year in a campsite north of Bilbao called Camping Sopelana which is on the coast but with metro access to Bilbao: http://www.campingsopelana.com/en
Couldn't book in advance (unless you were staying for a week) but we just turned up and got a great pitch with a low hedge around it and view of the sea. The site has an outdoor pool and restaurant and is walking distance to a couple of beaches.
IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

We went to Fidden mid September last year having stopped in Glencoe on the way. Used the little ferry at Corran and then drove down to get the short hope from Lochaline. Sunny when we left Glencoe and then it poured with rain just after we'd crossed at Corran but slowly started improving the further we drove. When we arrived on Mull there wasn't a cloud in the sky and temp went up.Hour and half drive and arrived at Fidden Farm - 17 deg and no wind. We stayed there for 4 days and weather never changed. We then left Mull and drove round Locj Sunart and up via Salen to Arisaig where again we found a wonderful site away from the big ones down past Back of Keppoch still wonderful weather. Although we don't have a Cali we have next best thing in a Leisuredrive full conversion which has been superb. We have a Kyham Classic Driveaway Awning but when weather is so nice it stays in it's bag. This photo might remind you of how superb Fidden is for sunsets.