Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting OEM Underslung Spare Wheel GC680

If anyone has any doubts about which holes the factory fit the spare wheel carrier in I can look under my TGE which came as original with it fitted.
Don't ask me to look on a wet day though :).
Thanks that would be interesting but as you say please wait for a dry day. You may need to lower the spare wheel to see which holes the bracket is bolted into.

Had a word with my local tyre place this morning. He tells me you cannot get a 205/75R16C with a 115 or greater load rating. The alternative is a 235/65R16C, which is actually the alternative tyre mentioned if you look at the sticker on the drivers door.
So what do we do? Go with the 205 tyre with a lesser load rating, I think about 40Kg less at 113 load rating, as it is only for emergency use, or fit a 235 tyre which has a slightly lower rolling circumference of 1.9mm making percentage change of 0.27% according to https://alloywheels.com/tyreCalculator
Personally I think either option should be ok. At the end of the day it is going to be used as a get you home or to the nearest tyre place. My tyre guy has maybe made the decision for me by saying the 235x16 size is very popular and he happens to have a really good used one where the customer had a puncture in one and swapped both for new.
Also I had a word with my local MAN dealership and he managed to translate the part numbers. They did seem a bit cheaper, although the prices he gave me were without vat and I didn't write them down. I've ordered and they should be here in a couple of days so will update then...

If anyone has any doubts about which holes the factory fit the spare wheel carrier in I can look under my TGE which came as original with it fitted.
Don't ask me to look on a wet day though :).
Hi Rod, I'd be interested to see what size tyre and load rating has been fitted too. See my post where my tyre guy says a 205/75R16C tyre is not available with a load rating of 115. The alternative is a 235/65R16C which has a very slight difference of rolling circumference.

Hi Rod, I'd be interested to see what size tyre and load rating has been fitted too. See my post where my tyre guy says a 205/75R16C tyre is not available with a load rating of 115. The alternative is a 235/65R16C which has a very slight difference of rolling circumference.
This is how my spare tyre clears the anti-roll bar and it is fitted with the lift winch in the furthest forward holes. My assumption is that the rearmost holes are for a 4x4 to allow clearance for the rear differential.
The tyre in my spare carrier is the same as that shown in the other photo.

The vehicle is a 3.180 LWB TGE currently plated at 3.5tonnes with 2100kg front & rear axels but OK without any change to up-plate to 4.2tonnes which I will do soon using Van Weight Engineering.
IMG_20240408_111742_small.jpgIMG_20240408_111839_small.jpg

Thanks for photos
Forgot to say my 680 is a 4motion ! Maybe that’s why I used rear 4 mounting holes !!

Only 4 finger width between tyre and ARB on my 4motion - rear wheel mount location
You can see ARB has bend in it to clear diff, unlike 2wd version has straight ARB
205/75-16c tyre with 116 load rating

IMG_7644.jpeg

IMG_7647.jpeg

IMG_7648.jpeg

IMG_7649.jpeg

I think the 235/65R16C is a more common/cheaper tyre size as it's on most of the Sprinters.

If it's circumference is only lesser by 2mm that would be ideal because the van's original tyres will more than likely be worn by more than 2mm in circumference. You could drive at speed, not have any dash warnings and it would look OK too.

Does anyone have an answer to the wheel bolt question.

Had a word with my local tyre place this morning. He tells me you cannot get a 205/75R16C with a 115 or greater load rating. The alternative is a 235/65R16C, which is actually the alternative tyre mentioned if you look at the sticker on the drivers door.
So what do we do? Go with the 205 tyre with a lesser load rating, I think about 40Kg less at 113 load rating, as it is only for emergency use, or fit a 235 tyre which has a slightly lower rolling circumference of 1.9mm making percentage change of 0.27% according to https://alloywheels.com/tyreCalculator
Personally I think either option should be ok. At the end of the day it is going to be used as a get you home or to the nearest tyre place. My tyre guy has maybe made the decision for me by saying the 235x16 size is very popular and he happens to have a really good used one where the customer had a puncture in one and swapped both for new.
Also I had a word with my local MAN dealership and he managed to translate the part numbers. They did seem a bit cheaper, although the prices he gave me were without vat and I didn't write them down. I've ordered and they should be here in a couple of days so will update then...
Go with the 235 appropriately weight rated tyre for sure.
Are you comparing the rolling radius to the OEM17” alloy wheel/tyre combo or to the 205 16” tyre?

Go with the 235 appropriately weight rated tyre for sure.
Are you comparing the rolling radius to the OEM17” alloy wheel/tyre combo or to the 205 16” tyre?
Hi Chris, yes, comparing the rolling radius from the original 17" alloy to the 235 16 tyre is not exact, but very close. The 205/75R16 rolling radius is exact, but you cannot get the 115 load rating.
I actually got a good used 235 16 tyre with the correct load rating from my tyre guy for free, I know him well. As he put it, "Why spend a lot of money on a tyre to sit rotting underneath a van, when there's nowt at all wrong with that one!"

I think the 235/65R16C is a more common/cheaper tyre size as it's on most of the Sprinters.

If it's circumference is only lesser by 2mm that would be ideal because the van's original tyres will more than likely be worn by more than 2mm in circumference. You could drive at speed, not have any dash warnings and it would look OK too.

Does anyone have an answer to the wheel bolt question.
Hi Gary, I don't know for sure, but having seen a couple of parts lists from people who have had their installation carried out by VW dealers, there were no mention of different wheel bolts.

Further to all these questions I called in at VW today and asked parts, he tells me the wheel bolts are the same.
BUT my tyre dealer tells me I would be limited to 50MPH if I use a different size wheel??

Any opinions please.

Hi Chris, yes, comparing the rolling radius from the original 17" alloy to the 235 16 tyre is not exact, but very close. The 205/75R16 rolling radius is exact, but you cannot get the 115 load rating.
I actually got a good used 235 16 tyre with the correct load rating from my tyre guy for free, I know him well. As he put it, "Why spend a lot of money on a tyre to sit rotting underneath a van, when there's nowt at all wrong with that one!"
You can get 205/75-16 with 116 load rating though - which is what I have
Continental van tyre

Further to all these questions I called in at VW today and asked parts, he tells me the wheel bolts are the same.
BUT my tyre dealer tells me I would be limited to 50MPH if I use a different size wheel??

Any opinions please.
That's correct. You should have the same wheel and tyre size on the same axle and ideally tyre make and tread pattern to travel at normal speeds. You can use a Space Saver wheel/tyre in emergencies but you are then limited in speed and distance. Your wheel/tyre combination would be treated as a Space Saver for emergency situations only.

Any opinions please.
Bolts will be fine between VW alloy and VW steelie.
To be honest the size of the spare is pretty much the same overall diameter as the standard so really can’t see the issue.

Worse case no different to the instructions on a space saver I guess, but better to have a spare you can drive at 50mph than nothing.

I don't see why your speed must be limited, if it's the same circumference and load rating it won't bother me.
I bought a hanger and cable from an older van but it does come with the release tools, £40.
Once its on I'll probably forget all about it and hopefully never have to use it.

Do you have to tell VW if you put private plates on??

Any opinions please.
He’s probably technically correct - you should also mark the wheel with the spacesaver stickers etc.
However its down to your own approach to risk If the overall diameter and width of tyre is the same it’s slim chance of anyone noticing and the handling should be similar, I would however prefer the odd wheel on the back.

The 50mph comes from the rules for proper mini spacesaver wheels which are skinny things with extra grippy high wear rate tyres. The wheel you will be using is designed for normal speeds etc so is far safer.

A narrower tyre than the others would be more of a risk.

Bolts will be fine between VW alloy and VW steelie.
To be honest the size of the spare is pretty much the same overall diameter as the standard so really can’t see the issue.

Worse case no different to the instructions on a space saver I guess, but better to have a spare you can drive at 50mph than nothing.
I don't see why your speed must be limited, if it's the same circumference and load rating it won't bother me.
I bought a hanger and cable from an older van but it does come with the release tools, £40.
Once its on I'll probably forget all about it and hopefully never have to use it.

Do you have to tell VW if you put private plates on??
If the spare is a 16” wheel and the vehicle has 17” wheels, although the wheel /tyre diameter may be the same the spare will have a different sidewall height also a different tyre pressure so could/would behave differently compared to the other 3 wheels when used as a spare.
You may well be prepared to take this risk of travelling at 70 with mismatched wheel/tyre, but what about other road users if you do have an accident.

You may well be prepared to take this risk of travelling at 70 with mismatched wheel/tyre, but what about other road users if you do have an accident.
Why is it ok at 50mph but not at 70mph? 50mph on a twisty country lane is likely to be more dangerous than 70mph on a motorway.

Technically you are committing an offence to use different size tyres on one axle unless it has a spacesaver sticker on it, the 50mph limit is an EU regulation, as an example for other overseas markets. Renaults 2/3 size spacesaver has a 85mph limit.

Why is it ok at 50mph but not at 70mph? 50mph on a twisty country lane is likely to be more dangerous than 70mph on a motorway.

Technically you are committing an offence to use different size tyres on one axle unless it has a spacesaver sticker on it, the 50mph limit is an EU regulation, as an example for other overseas markets. Renaults 2/3 size spacesaver has a 85mph limit.
It is upto the driver to assess the risks and drive accordingly and if involved in an accident answer to the authorities, others involved in the accident and their Insurance company.

Just buy a 5th matching alloy / tyre to use as a spare, then you don't need to worry about slowing down. Also gives you more time to source and get best price on a matching replacement tyre if you damage a tyre when travelling.

Just buy a 5th matching alloy / tyre to use as a spare, then you don't need to worry about slowing down. Also gives you more time to source and get best price on a matching replacement tyre if you damage a tyre when travelling.
A same size steel wheel with matching tyre would do.

The crafter alloys can’t be used with the support system under the van that’s why people use steels.

The hole in the centre of the alloy isn't big enough to pass the support bit on the end of the cable through. The security strap would also wreck the face oof the alloy.

Last edited:
I have found the parts via MAN dealership and the difference in price

VW 7C0803660BF SPARE WHEEL BRACKET AND CABLE £166.80 (MAN 65424030048 £123.60)

Update This MAN part number is NOT correct! There are 2 x part numbers that cross reference with the VW Part number, so it must be the "other one". They do not like giving part numbers out! The difference is the bracket that goes through the hole in the wheel centre is too big. I ended up going back to TPS and getting the VW part.

VW 7C0805350F REBOUND STRAP £68.88 (MAN 65424400006 £48.60)

VW 7 X N0195308 M8X25 FLANGED HEX BOLTS (MAN 65900500002 £16.04)

VW 1 X N10714101 M10 X 25 FLANGED HEX BOLT (MAN 65904050136 £1.92)

Quite a bit cheaper, so handy to know for other stuff as well...

Last edited:
Back