Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First weekend away in our Beach

xvdave

xvdave

Vehicle
T5 Beach
We've just returned from our first weekend away and the Beach lived up to all our expectations and more.

Above all, the sheer space provided by the Beach was really welcome and the attention to detail of the VW build made living in the vehicle a real pleasure.

I made an extra small fold away table for the kettle / mugs so that we had a "work surface" when the bed was in use and we spent a lot of time specifying the right size Really Useful Boxes to maximize space. (I'll post some pictures when I have more time).

Our 140 model performed really well and is clearly going to be comfortable for long journeys. The only downside is nearly having to get out of the seat to reach the handbrake!

The only significant living issue to be resolved is Muddy Boot, management / storage and accessibility.
The only vehicle issue to be resolved is underfloor squeaking! (I'm determined not to get too obsessed about this and ruin a great experience).

Many thanks to the forum and contributors who helped us make the decision to buy and for the accessory recommendations which meant we got most things right first time.

Glad to hear that the Beach has lived up to expectations. We also pick up our new Beach today!!:bananadance:bananadance

Out of interest what did you decide for the bed (VW comfort mattress?).

Any advice re essential accessories would also be welcomed.

Many good times ahead , takes some trips to finalise the "how to load and what to take" list but you will get there .
Btw , change your verhicle details under you avatar , it says SE

I hope the collection went well. We love ours. Best thing we ever did.

We opted for a 2.5mm Duvalay mattress. I was worried it may be too thin but it was absolutely fine. Combined with a new duvet and pillows, we both had a good nights sleep.

I think my best advice is buy other accessories as you think you need them. We perhaps overdid it and ended up with a couple of items that didn't fit our specific requirements. Trawl through the forum. There's great advice on what works best and then you can make informed decisions.

I've got a few more trips planned. This weekend it's : NEC Show.....Overnight Britstop......Stafford Classic Bike Show. After which I will try and compile a list of the good, bad and ugly.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that the Beach has lived up to expectations. We also pick up our new Beach today!!:bananadance:bananadance

Out of interest what did you decide for the bed (VW comfort mattress?).

Any advice re essential accessories would also be welcomed.
Hi
We have had our Beach about 5 months now, ours came with the comfort mattress and I must say it is excellent sooooooo comfortable.

A year in and our solution is the comfort mattress plus a high loft double duvet underneath. The comfort mattress was too hard for one of us.... Then actually a king sized duvet on top. Creates a good nest. We've found a double on top still leaves air gaps.

Also if you go this route, then the double underneath isn't really long enough, so we use two old flatter pillows to fill the gap at the head end and then two normal pillows. The great thing about having extra pillows is you can make adjustments for the angle the van is on as well as using them as cushions.