Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Family of 5 long trip

Ronnie BMX

Ronnie BMX

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
We are planning a a 6 month long trip around Europe with our 3 children aged 4/ 6/ 10. Anyone else made a long trip with 3 young children in a Cali and did it work out OK?
Any hints or tips on how we can make it more comfortable and bearable? I really don't want to buy a larger camper/ motorhome as I want it for my daily also.
Thanks
Ronnie

Suggest you read Amarillo's travels in the leaving EU travel section of the forum. It is a long detailed account and well worth reading. He will be able to point out the positives and negatives. Good luck:thumb

Suggest you read Amarillo's travels in the leaving EU travel section of the forum. It is a long detailed account and well worth reading. He will be able to point out the positives and negatives. Good luck:thumb
Thank you for the tip, and yes we may need some luck ha ha

We are currently on the road with two boys, now ages 2 and 4, and a dog, and have been going for 9 months. The first three months were hardest - it’s now pretty much routine.

Budget is critical. We are spending €100 per day, that’s everything except van depreciation (hair cuts, toothpaste, insurance, as well as the more obvious campsites, food, fuel, excursions, ferries).

We are camping 80% of the time, Airbnb gives us a break or respite in periods of prolonged rain. Off season you can get good bargains in holiday accommodation: in Sicily and here in Greece just €20 per night. Eating out is the real budget buster, but an essential part of European travel (IMO).

Pack as light as you dare. With three children I’m guessing you have a beach. Keep the bench seat in the position to make the bed. You can make the bed with small gaps between the multiflex and tailgate and between the multiflex and bench back for a longer bed and larger boot in travel mode. We managed to pack everything inside the van, no roof box, and we also had four bikes plus a bike trailer on our bike rack for the first part of our trip.

ACSI camping card gives off season camping from 11 Euros per night for 2 adults, hookup and showers - but BEWARE - they often charge extra for children, as much as 5 Euros extra per child. Phone in advance to check; owner managed campsites will be more flexible on price for children, and always remember, off season the campsites will not be full, so if they won’t strike a deal for children they will just be letting the grass grow on the pitch. If they won’t do a deal there and then but you still want to go there, leave your number for them to call back. If they haven’t called back after an hour you will have to accept their terms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back