Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended Warranty or not.. that is the question!

NShep

NShep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi Lovley Cali people, I have a dilemma. My 3 year cali warrantee is about to run out and I need to decide if i go for the extended warrantee which would cost £1473.00!

I have the dreaded roof rust and I am getting the job number for the warrantee on Tuesday. I also have a problem with a headrest on the 2 seater bench seat. it gets stuck and when you look at it the headrest seems to have a bigger hole than the other:(

Any advice people? I don't want to spend that amount of money if I can help it.

Many thanks.

(I have a VW California Beach 2012)

I would get the head rest repaired before 3 years run out.
The cost of VW extended cover has been discussed on here several times. We built up our own repair pot of money may use it may not but we have underwritten our own repair cost should something go wrong

Last edited:
Tend to agree with Meoncast. I would keep a sensible emergency fund in the bank to deal with unforeseen costs.

Also remember:
- The roof rust is covered for 6 years, so no need to extend the warranty for that
- Go over the van with a fine tooth comb when it is 35 months old and get all the bits fixed that you can find
- If something goes wrong when the 3 year warranty has expired you can always ask for a dealer or VW contribution to the fix as you are a loyal customer and always had your van services with VW....
- The extended warranty is not provided by VW but a 3rd party, so will not be as thorough as the original warranty.

Obviously if the engine explodes in a few months time don't blame me :)

If the engine did explode, and you have had it serviced by VW then I would think they would make a contribution to the repair.
I agree with the above. If you can afford the money for the Warranty extension, then pay it into a savings account for emergencies. These companies have so many exclusions they will find some way to avoid or severely minimise a payout. Also, they will probably not pay VW to do the repairs.

Last edited:
Ours was 3 years old in March and we decided not to take an extended warranty due to cost .We had a service and first mot before the warranty ran out and nothing was highlighted.Also having the vehicle from new we know everything which has gone wrong so nothing has been hidden by previous owners , 2 months down the line and everything ok so far !!!!

dave and lisa

Back