Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Epic fail - smashed rear window

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
As the joke goes, it was only smashed on one side......:(

Reversing into work car park, where it lives quite a lot, was in space next to normal and I am normally _really_ careful to check whats above and behind. Missed the black metal rod sticking out at head height against black wall in park with no lights, edging back and BANG right through back window. Just the outside pane though ;-)
Now with VW to be replaced today or tomorrow. I hate to think how much but V Embarassed as I've never done any damage to a vehicle ever. Whoooops.

Oh No!!

There for the grace of whoever you believe in goes all of us.

So easy to do, so easy to feel a fool afterwards. Hindsight is wonderful but so is life and that's life!

Hope it gets well soon

If it makes you feel better I reversed into a massive tree on a campsite last year. Somehow ignoring the parking sensors which I assumed were picking up a small bush on the campsite!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Awesome, van centre just rang "Errr the glass guy turned up to replace it and your one seems to be double glazed".
"Yeah I know , its a California, you sold me it, I told you that 3 times yesterday and asked you about it when i brought it in. And its also got privacy glass so I assume its darker as well"
"Ah, ok we have reordered based on your chassis number, it might be a few days"
"I don't care, i just want the right window"
Blimey, i didn't think it would be this complicated !

The finale was today.
Garage rang, window in all good, some glass fell into the trim and it rattles a lot when you open and close it. Would you like us to remove it (for £90)?

Errrrrr, well yeah obviously. Bizarre.

Nah mate just leave it, i know its a 50 grand van but some glass rattling around will make it feel more authentic.

The finale was today.
Garage rang, window in all good, some glass fell into the trim and it rattles a lot when you open and close it. Would you like us to remove it (for £90)?

Nah mate just leave it, i know its a 50 grand van but some glass rattling around will make it feel more authentic.

You shoud've asked if there was any cost to leave it in... sure there must be!

The finale was today.

If it was only the outside glaspanel broken and the rest intact , howcome there's glas fallen in behind the trim?
I would guess during they change of the window , so they charge you 90 quid extra for work they might have caused....
Thank you sir!

Last edited:
Exactly what i was thinking.

Did you had a rattle when the outer glas panel,was broken before it went in the garage for repair?
If yes they had to warn you in advance and calculate it in ....
If no they have caused the problem...
Either way they are ripping you off in my opinion

No the van was fine, I've left it with them to sort out and will get it tomorrow and have a debate on this...

So, you know when you have low expectations...

Went to collect it this evening. It's an embarassment, by their own admission
1) The area under the window is really badly scratched and someone has tried to hide it with polish, it was still white. Theres scratches all round the VW badge and along the panel at the bottom of the window.
2) There was tape all over the rear of the van
3) After charging me 90quid to take the glass out the tailgate when i closed the tailgate it was still full of glass and more falling inside.
4) All the stuff that was in the back was chucked over the seats into the front
5) The whole inside back is covered in minute pieces of glass, evident when i cut myself really badly closing the tailgate. I bled all over their service reception.
6) The interior tailgate trim isn't actually attached any more. I suppose that will save them time taking it all apart again.

Wholly unsatisfactory. A very embarassed garage manager. It's going back on Monday , frankly they can keep it until they fix it to my satisfaction, i don't care. And I will never take another vehicle in there ever.

Really horrible to hear !
Guess they see it as a "van" ....not thinking that we do live in the vehicle .
Glas all over the place inside ? Nightmare !
Hope they sort out but i would go to the bottom of this and then when you agree it is deliverd back in shape you agree with ask for some kind of gift from them to you as apollygies...a voucher for accecoirs or so....
Otherwise i would go to a costumerservice group or lawyer.

Do take pictures of before and afther just in case!

Last edited:
Nightmare. Fingers crossed for a satisfactory resolution.

The thing is its on a co. lease, we lease about 5000 vw vehicles so the lease manager is onto it as it's not really what you want to hear. I'm ambivalent, the people were really nice but v embarassed, i'm sure it will be sorted but its a total PITA right now.

Back