Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hook up not working

K

knighty

Hi all,

We've had our '63 plate Cali for a year now and so far so good apart from the fact that I've just gone to plug the van into the mains...and nothing! The hook up doesn't seem to be working. I've tested the cable and seems ok, any ideas how I can check whether it's something in the van?

Cheers all

Are the trip switches in the rear wardrobe off or on?

I find they can be easily knocked off when stowing in that part of the van.

GrannyJen said:
Are the trip switches in the rear wardrobe off or on?

I find they can be easily knocked off when stowing in that part of the van.

Hi GrannyJen, they're on unfortunately...was hoping it was going to be that!

Obvious question I realise, but have you got the plug icon displayed on the control panel ?

Martin said:
Obvious question I realise, but have you got the plug icon displayed on the control panel ?
Hi Martin, no when plugged into the mains, I just get the battery icon. I've tested the external cable and it seems ok?!

Are you plugging into a mains socket at home?
How are you plugging in are you using an adapter between your hook up and the socket?
My adapter went faulty recently meaning it was only charging for short periods of time.
Might be worth trying another adapter?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Freeley said:
Are you plugging into a mains socket at home?
How are you plugging in are you using an adapter between your hook up and the socket?
My adapter went faulty recently meaning it was only charging for short periods of time.
Might be worth trying another adapter?

Hi Freeley, yeah plugging in to the mains via a connector. Only used it a few times and when I tested it it seemed ok. Will try and find someone with one I can test near me :D

I bet that's your problem. I used to have a 2 pin euro - 3 pin uk plug but like I said before it stopped working properly.
I replaced it with a blue hook up plug - 3 pin uk lead which is working great. Similar to the one calikev was selling.
Sorry I didnt get mine from you kev!

You are forgiven :thumb we are working on a small shop to sell a few essentials :thumb

How much are the adapters? Should probably check mines broken before I buy another one tho! :D

They're less than a tenner. If you were able to plug in direct to a hook up post on a campsite somewhere you'd know if your adapter was faulty.
Perhaps go for a night somewhere near you, good excuse!
Just make sure you buy the adapter lead from kev it'll make me feel better!

Freeley said:
They're less than a tenner. If you were able to plug in direct to a hook up post on a campsite somewhere you'd know if your adapter was faulty.
Perhaps go for a night somewhere near you, good excuse!
Just make sure you buy the adapter lead from kev it'll make me feel better!

:thumb :thanks

See this thread http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4358 - hopefully your root cause is as simple as a faulty adapter. Root cause for me was a fault battery charger - which is under the fridge, so whole kitchen unit had to come out for it to be replaced (under warranty).

This one isn't listed in the 'Common Faults' poll, so not sure how common it is.

Steve

I had the same problem and it was the battery charger replaced under warranty

Yes it could be that. :thumb
I thought that's what was up with mine initially which was a worry as it's out of warranty.

Just had a similar problem. Electric Hook Up connected, but no symbol on display. Power was reaching the 230v outlet on the side of the kitchen unit, but the batteries were not charging. After reading related posts, checked inspection panel on the side the fridge unit and pushed in the plug on the side of the charger and everything works perfectly. The van is less than 12 months old and I think it has never had the EHU connected before, so might have been like this from new.

Back