Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR recall for 5.1?

P

Pineweasel

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I've just booked my 2012 140SE in for a service and it appears they will perform "Recall 23DV-S-EGR correction -CONFIRM IF MODIFIED / ALSO ADVISE CAN EFFECT CONSUMPTION"

Anyone know anything about this one?

I've just booked my 2012 140SE in for a service and it appears they will perform "Recall 23DV-S-EGR correction -CONFIRM IF MODIFIED / ALSO ADVISE CAN EFFECT CONSUMPTION"

Anyone know anything about this one?
First I’ve heard of any such recall.

Maybe check here.

Last edited:
I will be taking mine in to Sinclairs next week for a service and when I booked it they never mentioned anything about a recall. This is the first I’ve heard re the EGR on a 140 SE.
Would like to know more so I can enquire when I take it in.

If checked on the DVLA website to see if there are any manufacturer recalls for our vehicle and it doesn’t appear there are any.

I've dropped it off and they claim it's a new fix resulting from the VW emissions scandal. Haven't checked my own VIN on that recall site yet - maybe there are differences year on year for the 5.1 140?

[edit] Well, my VIN isn't recognised by the VW recall site, the govt. recall site shows nothing, and the only "23DV-S-EGR " reference I can find anywhere is someone in Australia being offered the work for his 2018 T6: "a software update , something to do with temperature".

Last edited:
I will make sure they don’t touch mine as I really don’t trust VW as. Company to get this right. Also I’ve had a remap which I would imagine if they changed the mapping in the ECU which it looks like they are intending doing it would make it worse for me.

I've dropped it off and they claim it's a new fix resulting from the VW emissions scandal. Haven't checked my own VIN on that recall site yet - maybe there are differences year on year for the 5.1 140?

[edit] Well, my VIN isn't recognised by the VW recall site, the govt. recall site shows nothing, and the only "23DV-S-EGR " reference I can find anywhere is someone in Australia being offered the work for his 2018 T6: "a software update , something to do with temperature".
I put the VIN in the VW site for our 2012 5.1 140. Came up as VIN not recognised.

Checked on the DVLA site against Regisration details and said no recalls.

SMG called me earlier this week about booking a service (although not due for over 6 months!) and they did not mention anything. Also asked them roof corrosion recall as we have now been on waiting list for 4 years, " we will check and get back you"...no reply as yet!...although same as when i followed last service!

...Maybe your dealer thinks it a 180? as believe they had the EGR issue.

I will make sure they don’t touch mine as I really don’t trust VW as. Company to get this right. Also I’ve had a remap which I would imagine if they changed the mapping in the ECU which it looks like they are intending doing it would make it worse for me.

Your remap company should be able to check / reinstall if VW bugger it up!

Your remap company should be able to check / reinstall if VW bugger it up!
To tell the truth I’ve heard so many bad things re VW messing with the ECU and fuel consumption going right down I’d sooner leave well alone as it’s been ok for 4 years + 4 years with the remapping.

Mine (2012 140 engine) also doesn't show via that VIN finder site.

Bit of Googling came up with some comments on German and Dutch sites and a link to what looks like a lawyers site.
https://tx-board.de/threads/aktion-23dv-agr-korrektur.153950/

https://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/n...-die-langlebigkeit-des-fahrzeuges-206337.html

I dont speak German but the gist of translation appears to be it will change the 'thermal window' in which the EGR operates. And enable VW to prove to regulators that they have corrected vehicles under the emissions cheat.
Given that there are comments like extended goodwill on EGR issues, possible consumption changes etc I will be politely declining if offered the update.

I might be wrong but VW & the Gov site may not classify the EGR check as a “recall” if it’s not a safety issue.
There was a similar issue when VW had the “roof tape” check …. A technical check at next service rather than a recall. So if you ask a dealer to check for recalls you may get “computer says, No!”.

Lucky escape by the sound of it. The update was not applied to my van after all as “the server was down”.

They said they’ll write to me when they are capable of doing it, but I think I will be ignoring them.

Last edited:
Lucky escape by the sound of it. The update was not applied to my van after all as “the server was down”.

They said they’ll write to me when they are capable of doing it, but I think I will be ignoring them.
I really don’t blame you, Dont think I will be bothering either....

Its likely that update will just reduce performance but gives VW a green tick to satisfy the authorities.

So the paper performance specs that you based your purchase on are most likely no longer valid (...bit like fitting a water saving device to the head of an expensive power shower).

Took my van in for a service on Saturday and fair enough they said the recall was Campaign 23dv. I did decline as I couldn’t be reassured that the remapping would be affected. Considering the vehicle is now 8 years old and running beautifully why would I want to trust VW to get this one right.
They did try and sell me a new set of front discs and pads as the pads were 50% worn and because the van hasn’t been used since September some slight rust on the inside of 1 disc which will be worn off in a couple hundred miles. MOT done 4 weeks ago and no mention of this at the time.
Plus cambelt/waterpump change , last one done 7 K miles ago. Belts checked and perfect.
I know it’s their job to get the extra work for the company but not on my back would have been around £1k.

Also had this flagged on a recent dealer visit. Didn’t get done as EGR has reportedly seized and although not currently logging a fault code or triggering EMU light, apparently carrying out the ‘23DV campaign’ would cause it to do so.

Just encountered this on a visit too. I was in for MOT and brake fluid and when I checked the job sheet during online check in it was there as well, so I didn't fill that in and spoke to them directly on the day.
In a round about way I established that it's emissions-related, could affect performance and consumption and is not a necessary change.
Like others here, I declined the mod - van is running sweet so why change?

Check worksheets when you check in!

Back