Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Early "running in" oil and filter change?

S

stationmaster

I will take delivery of a new van soon - 6.1 150 Ocean - i want to have the oil and filter changed around 700-1000 miles to clear out any "new engine" debris and give the engine the best chance or good reliability going forward.

I have the 5 year service plan. Does anyone know if i can get this early oil/filter change done as one of the inclusive services?

I will also like the oil changed from the bottom/drain plug, as opposed to sucked out from the filler cap method (which i think is the norm) - is this something anyone has asked for/had a van centre sort for them?

Thanks for your help :)

I will take delivery of a new van soon - 6.1 150 Ocean - i want to have the oil and filter changed around 700-1000 miles to clear out any "new engine" debris and give the engine the best chance or good reliability going forward.

I have the 5 year service plan. Does anyone know if i can get this early oil/filter change done as one of the inclusive services?

I will also like the oil changed from the bottom/drain plug, as opposed to sucked out from the filler cap method (which i think is the norm) - is this something anyone has asked for/had a van centre sort for them?

Thanks for your help :)
Not needed. These modern engines do not require it and if anything else you will mess up the sensors that determine when you will need a service based on oil quality.

You can arrange a service at any time. Whether it gives value for money doing it early (before the vehicle tells you) is open for debate. Personal view - I wouldn’t leave a gap of more than 18 months on low (<6000 miles pa) or 12 months if higher - purely what I’m comfortable with / gut feel. Our first oil change came up 9 months after delivery, and after covering about 9000 miles.

You can arrange a service at any time. Whether it gives value for money doing it early (before the vehicle tells you) is open for debate. Personal view - I wouldn’t leave a gap of more than 18 months on low (<6000 miles pa) or 12 months if higher - purely what I’m comfortable with / gut feel. Our first oil change came up 9 months after delivery, and after covering about 9000 miles.
It would come up for a service at 12 months anyway, even if you only did <6K miles.

I'm not sure we've needed to drain and service oil as much as the OP wants to do it since 1983 ;)

Thanks for your replies.

So, you can use the inclusive service "credits"at anytime/mileage? Is this correct?

I am not of the view that my early oil/filter change is essential...just that my logic tells me it is a good idea :)

You could do either a DIY oil change or get a local Garage to do it for you saving the VW service for later, they would do an interim service.

My T6 came with a 20K miles or 2 year service requirement. It came up with a service/oil change required at approx 7,500 miles which I had done locally saving the interim service for the 2 year point which was below the 20K mile point.

Thanks for your replies.

So, you can use the inclusive service "credits"at anytime/mileage? Is this correct?

I am not of the view that my early oil/filter change is essential...just that my logic tells me it is a good idea :)
You would have to check with VW but I'd have thought they would be services at the appropriate time - I've never viewed them as flexible credits.

As mentioned, my view is that an oil change is not required and would knacker the monitoring process, unless you were to also reset the service schedule when you do the change.

I'd keep the services to when you need them and not worry about it. You haven't needed to run in an engine and then change the oil for decades.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/do-you-still-need-to-run-in-new-cars/n13848 (2008 article)

You would have to check with VW but I'd have thought they would be services at the appropriate time - I've never viewed them as flexible credits.

As mentioned, my view is that an oil change is not required and would knacker the monitoring process, unless you were to also reset the service schedule when you do the change.

I'd keep the services to when you need them and not worry about it. You haven't needed to run in an engine and then change the oil for decades.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/do-you-still-need-to-run-in-new-cars/n13848 (2008 article)
Thanks. Just called VW and they said i can have it serviced early and use the inclusive servicing if i want to - say at a thousand miles - so it looks to be an option.

Grateful to you for the link - thanks. I agree, the need to run in an engine is less these days, but avoiding full load, varying the revs, avoiding too many cold starts... is sensible i reckon.

If i do have an early service - i will of course make sure the VW (original grade) oil and filter is used.

My thoughts are that there is pressure on manufactures to reduce running costs (have longer service intervals) - as a lot of vehicles are purchased by fleet operators, especially commercials like a transporter - so as a personal "fancy camper" owner, it is prudent to run your van with nice clean oil :) An oil service is pretty cheap when you consider the cost of a california.

It would come up for a service at 12 months anyway, even if you only did <6K miles.

I'm not sure we've needed to drain and service oil as much as the OP wants to do it since 1983 ;)

My MY22 (delivered July 22) didn't come up for service yet, only required an oil change after 20.000km. First service due in July this year.

It’s your Van, you do what you want to.

Modern engines do have better tolerance, which should mean less metal deposits in the oil, but there is still a running in period of about 1000 miles from new, during which time the oil pressure runs higher for the entire duration, after which the oil pressure becomes variable based on the engine revs.

after the 1000 mile period the engine would be considered run in.

it will do no harm to change the oil and filter, just make sure all components are VW OEM parts.

It’s your Van, you do what you want to.

Modern engines do have better tolerance, which should mean less metal deposits in the oil, but there is still a running in period of about 1000 miles from new, during which time the oil pressure runs higher for the entire duration, after which the oil pressure becomes variable based on the engine revs.

after the 1000 mile period the engine would be considered run in.

it will do no harm to change the oil and filter, just make sure all components are VW OEM parts.
Agreed. It’s a pointless requirement, but yup, OPs van, service it every 1000 miles if he likes. The OPs money to burn.

My MY22 (delivered July 22) didn't come up for service yet, only required an oil change after 20.000km. First service due in July this year.
From memory there are two different schedules. Can’t be bothered digging them out but a search would yield multiple results.

The TLDR for any service question like this is don’t sweat it, life is too short and the van will tell you.

Agreed. It’s a pointless requirement, but yup, OPs van, service it every 1000 miles if he likes. The OPs money to burn.
Not so sure i will be servicing it every 1000 miles...now that would be crazy, and i'm not that far gone...not yet anyway.
Service at 1000 miles then every 10,000 or so will be just fine (depending on the kind of miles i do).

Not so sure i will be servicing it every 1000 miles...now that would be crazy, and i'm not that far gone...not yet anyway.
Service at 1000 miles then every 10,000 or so will be just fine (depending on the kind of miles i do).
It was a jolly jape, but fill your boots - wont harm it.

I purchased a MAN TGE (VW Crafter) which we took delivery of in November 2022. The van spent a long time doing very few miles in its first year due to delays in getting it converted. By the time it was twelve months old it was demanding an oil change despite being set as 'extended service' presumably due to the condition of the oil.
In a similar position with our last T6 but without the lack of use the van did not call for a service until it had covered over 20,000 miles.
Trust the algorithms in the ECU, they will keep your engine good IF you use the correct oil!

With previous vehicles, i have just followed the ECU/handbook...and i agree, it seems to have been fine. Not that i would really know...as i sold them all with less than 40,000 miles.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to my post :)

Rather than swap it all out at 1k you could do a millers oil analysis on a sample then decide accordingly. Then maybe have the confidence to reasses at 5k?

I would expect it to look just fine results wise but my curiosity would love to see you do it.

Good idea, you'd probably need an analysis of the clean/new oil as well - then you could compare the two. I watched a video in which someone did that with a Toyota at around 1000 miles, looked like there was some benefit to the early change. Much would depend on each use case no doubt.

I purchased one of these testers some years ago and despite my doubts initially it has proven to be a very good indicator of oil condition. Used on Cali plus 3 other cars

Incidentally my Cali is about to have it's 7th oil change at year 7 with approx 29K miles recorded.

2 years maximum service period I believe.

2 years maximum service period I believe.
Yup, TBH I couldn't be bothered to look it up but my TLDR still works. Let the Cali manage it for you. We can all get a little too precious about such a large purchase, financially and emotionally, that we let our imaginations and worries run away with us a little.

I purchased one of these testers some years ago and despite my doubts initially it has proven to be a very good indicator of oil condition. Used on Cali plus 3 other cars

Incidentally my Cali is about to have it's 7th oil change at year 7 with approx 29K miles recorded.
You'll know where i'm coming from then :) Has it been reliable?

Yup, TBH I couldn't be bothered to look it up but my TLDR still works. Let the Cali manage it for you. We can all get a little too precious about such a large purchase, financially and emotionally, that we let our imaginations and worries run away with us a little.
It is always a balance. Not good to let your anxieties get the better of you :)

Yes, but …. the Cali has a soul, heart and sentience as we all know!!

Back