Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull ........

Good afternoon,

We will start our holiday on Friday 12/07 taking the ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg. Here is the rest of the trip:

View attachment 46436

We need to catch the ferry on the 01/08 in Santander. From Cork back home do Kildare.

Can't wait :pinkbanana

Regards,
Eberhard
aha thats more like it Eber - looks like a route

Das ist wirklich eine lange Strecke Eber.
If you'd have gone more north and taken more of Holland i would say that
was one of Adolfs plans. :Iamsorry:Iamsorry
That is a big trip though, how many kms is it?
Hallo Westfalia,

According to Google maps it is about 6.400 km.

Might be more because we stay 3 days in Wehrheim with my brother. One day we will visit Büdingen where I was born. Second day Mühlheim where I lived. That alone will be around 250 km minimum.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hallo Westfalia,

According to Google maps it is about 6.400 km.

Might be more because we stay 3 days in Wehrheim with my brother. One day we will visit Büdingen where I was born. Second day Mühlheim where I lived. That alone will be around 250 km minimum.

Regards,
Eberhard
Looks like a great trip Eber.
Enjoy it and post loads of pictures on here.

I dont know if its just me but this forum has become very dull recently - the most exciting thread of last week was some bloke posting a picture of his lad riding a bike - so where are we heading on our summer travels this year - lets hear about the exciting far flung places you plan to visit in your lovely Californias - who is travelling furthest - someone spice things up a bit - please
It ain´t just you.
I think its gone flat, like as flat as a witches tit.
Each time i post something i see this- This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Come up with a good mod and soon after the club shop are selling it, newbies come
along asking about something and then someone replies- club shop sell them.

How many members here? and how many posters?
Probably about 20 or 30 regular but that is falling, for sure.

If i always see this-This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.
and others do then its no wonder its getting dull, and as soon as i hit the post real button it will
appear again :headbang

@Eber123 : 20 days to do 6500 kms that’s impressive! Will you have time to relax? Btw - The last 70 kms of that motorway you’re taking from Wrocław to the German border will slow you down to about 50 kph as the road surface is dreadful.

Anyway, back on topic, perhaps @CALI FATE should join mumsnet (or is it netmums) forum as Mrs L assures me there’s never a boring moment on there! Lol

Last edited:
Life is so not dull don’t have time to share all the exciting things we are doing with our Cali. Having moved into the realm of a new Ocean to replace our torn and battered tent the world is really opening up. We are currently in Croatia on Pag Iskand on a small basic site soaking up the sunshine and swimming having just travelled up from Split. We had intended going to Scotland for three weeks in June but were put off by the Midges. Having camped in the Lonjsko Poldje Mational Park we realised that mosquitos are a bigger challenge, but at least with a Cali you can shut them out.
We had rerouted from Scotland to Calais and made our way through France Germany and Slovenia following the weather forecast. It took as to eastern Slovenia and into Croatia. Quite sobering how much of Eastern Croatia still shows signs of the homeland war in the 90’s. We keep wanting to get to the Dolomites but the weather forecast is arguing against it although next week there looks like a window of opportunity opening up. Then we’ll drift across towards Roscoff and a ferry back to the UK at the end of the month. Dull never. Tips no Camping Gaz refills east of Austria and read up on Vignettes for Austria and Slovenia. We got into a mess with tolls in Portugal do we have been careful to check each county we go into. A few niggles to go back to the dealer about such as on the couple of times it has rained annoying drips from between the gutter and the awning right over the door opening. We’ll keep following the Dull VWCC cos it’s great but having a Cali gives you so little time to sit on an IPhone. Sorry must dash the sea is looking too alluring !!!

@Eber123 : 20 days to do 6500 kms that’s impressive! Will you have time to relax? Btw - The last 70 kms of that motorway you’re taking from Wrocław to the German border will slow you down to about 50 kph as the road surface is dreadful.

Anyway, back on topic, perhaps @CALI FATE should join mumsnet (or is it netmums) forum as Mrs L assures me there’s never a boring moment on there! Lol

Hallo Liaoyang,

Well, there is a stop in Germany. But we will be visiting places from the past, so to speak. But I still expect it a bit quieter. There are 2 nights we stay in a hotel in Strezlin. That is a wee bit of a break too. The next break will be 3x nights in Pompeii. Visiting the historical site and maybe go to Naples.

From there it is going homewards. The next longer stop will be in Santander, with the ferry leaving the next day. There is a camp site just 20 km or so away from the harbor.

Back in Ireland it is only a 2,5 hours or so from Cork to Dublin. Arriving home there will be August bank holiday weekend, which should give me at least a full day to recover. :)

Regards,
Eberhard

I dont know if its just me but this forum has become very dull recently - the most exciting thread of last week was some bloke posting a picture of his lad riding a bike - so where are we heading on our summer travels this year - lets hear about the exciting far flung places you plan to visit in your lovely Californias - who is travelling furthest - someone spice things up a bit - please
It seems lately to be a platform for people to be unpleasant and irrelevant . Even a little boy posing proudly with his bike caused a debate as to why he wasn't wearing a helmet! Have only been on the forum a short time but it seems to be losing its point. We have just done camp quirky and had a great time talking to enthusiastic people with some amazing ideas

We’re going for a 10 day trip up to the highlands in September to travel the NC 500 and can’t wait . Will post lots of pictures of our travels .

Ok, so we are currently half way through a 5 month tour around Europe. We have owned our Cali T6 about 18 months. Prior to this trip we had been on outings in the UK, north Wales, Cornwall, the Lakes etc. But nothing as complex or as long as the current extravaganza! To add to this we had a newborn on Christmas Day (our first) and a Weimaraner, who is 8 years and not used to this life! So... baby has been amazing, and until recently the fridge, hob and sink cabinet have been an amazing change facility and his lie flat cot, sits in the drivers seat wedged between steering wheel and backrest. The problem now comes that he is rolling all over and getting too big for the cot, so, where do we go from here?! The dog... ...well, that is a different story. Great in cities (surprisingly), apart from with waiters, a new issue we are trying to figure out; but bad around sites, barking and territorial etc. (unsurprisingly). We have a Kela driveaway awning, which has been amazing, but we only put it up if we are staying longer than 2 nights. We massively over packed, so the van is rammed, we could have got away with a third of the amount of stuff we have brought, the old adage of halve and halve again is something I will abide by in the future. However, it has been amazing and the van despite being packed to the rafters, has been awesome (2.0 Tdi DSG auto). We have had issues with the electrics, we had 4 days of torrential rain and water getting in and now the under cabinet light randomly comes on when we close doors or use other light switches(?!) but we have contacted VW and it is under warranty, so it will be in once we return in September. The rear sliding window (passenger side) doesn’t fit properly, something we failed to notice until too late! More worryingly we have had the rear sliding door open a few times without our intervention; twice when the dog has been left and once when we were doing a U’ee after taking a wrong turn! Which they think could be linked to the electrical problem, it has that electric catch; (I have managed to snap the passenger seat arm rest by slipping and standing on it and I have managed to grate along a wall, trying to round some dodgy French double parking! Gutted, but nothing that can’t be fixed!) oh, and the drivers lock has been prized out, where someone has tried to break in in Bologna, luckily no luck for them, thanks to Ozzie Ocean!! anyway, that is my story, apologies for the length...46573

www.wilfywoodstennisball.blog

September, we're heading to Switzerland for approximately 3 nights, then on to Grubhof in Austria with a day trip to Salzburg, then a few nights in the Dolomites.
Hopefully have a night at the Nurburgring on the way home :)

Ok, so we are currently half way through a 5 month tour around Europe. We have owned our Cali T6 about 18 months. Prior to this trip we had been on outings in the UK, north Wales, Cornwall, the Lakes etc. But nothing as complex or as long as the current extravaganza! To add to this we had a newborn on Christmas Day (our first) and a Weimaraner, who is 8 years and not used to this life! So... baby has been amazing, and until recently the fridge, hob and sink cabinet have been an amazing change facility and his lie flat cot, sits in the drivers seat wedged between steering wheel and backrest. The problem now comes that he is rolling all over and getting too big for the cot, so, where do we go from here?! The dog... ...well, that is a different story. Great in cities (surprisingly), apart from with waiters, a new issue we are trying to figure out; but bad around sites, barking and territorial etc. (unsurprisingly). We have a Kela driveaway awning, which has been amazing, but we only put it up if we are staying longer than 2 nights. We massively over packed, so the van is rammed, we could have got away with a third of the amount of stuff we have brought, the old adage of halve and halve again is something I will abide by in the future. However, it has been amazing and the van despite being packed to the rafters, has been awesome (2.0 Tdi DSG auto). We have had issues with the electrics, we had 4 days of torrential rain and water getting in and now the under cabinet light randomly comes on when we close doors or use other light switches(?!) but we have contacted VW and it is under warranty, so it will be in once we return in September. The rear sliding window (passenger side) doesn’t fit properly, something we failed to notice until too late! More worryingly we have had the rear sliding door open a few times without our intervention; twice when the dog has been left and once when we were doing a U’ee after taking a wrong turn! Which they think could be linked to the electrical problem, it has that electric catch; (I have managed to snap the passenger seat arm rest by slipping and standing on it and I have managed to grate along a wall, trying to round some dodgy French double parking! Gutted, but nothing that can’t be fixed!) oh, and the drivers lock has been prized out, where someone has tried to break in in Bologna, luckily no luck for them, thanks to Ozzie Ocean!! anyway, that is my story, apologies for the length...View attachment 46573

www.wilfywoodstennisball.blog
Ah yes the old pack everything problem I'm sure we have all been guilty and probably continue to I know I do. We have a 5 week trip planned, leaving end of July but this dwarfs it. Amazing photos on the blog. Trip of a life time

Lol Snap! We have the identical ZRay paddle board: presumably you got yours on eBay too.....they're really good value or the money if you're thinking of getting one and ours is in on it's 4th season with no issues. Very maneuverable compared with our friend's (more expensive) Decathlon ones and we've used it as a longboard in the surf.

It ain´t just you.
I think its gone flat, like as flat as a witches tit.
Each time i post something i see this- This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Come up with a good mod and soon after the club shop are selling it, newbies come
along asking about something and then someone replies- club shop sell them.

How many members here? and how many posters?
Probably about 20 or 30 regular but that is falling, for sure.

If i always see this-This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.
and others do then its no wonder its getting dull, and as soon as i hit the post real button it will
appear again :headbang
Yes I have always got the same pop up message too.
What is this about?

its all good fun and banter on here - i do find it oddly entertaining and keep dipping in for snippets and clever home made storage ideas - and sipepods caustic wit .... we are heading to Galicia this year for 5 weeks of living on the beach and holing up in the Picos mountains for a bit of mountain lakes and walking - thats the plan - if the weather bit off we'll fire off to Portugal - thats what we enjoy a bit of freedom and fishing for your tea - the local white wine is supposed to be fab with fish and oysters - ill let you know.

Last year we wandered around the Balkans - exploring amongst other places Albania Macedonia Kosovo - all great experience in the van

Well i hope i didnt offend too many fellow enthusiasts - keep on camping

Well done! That sounds just what the Cali is best for.

We went to see the Picos a few years ago. They looked wonderful on our first day recce, but that was the last we saw of them, as they were submerged in cloud for the rest of the week (although the wild beaches west of Llianes more than made up for their absence). We enjoyed Albania last year too, although the Caravan Club insurance no longer offers Albanian cover this year and we couldn't find a good current alternative, even third-party only.

Just back from our first trip this year, from mid-April to late June. Less off-the-beaten-track - mostly unplanned and zig-zag, chasing the sun - but an eight week itinerary perfect for a Cali: In brief: Yorkshire. France (massif central). Spain (north east, south, middle). France again (south west Atlantic, south east Mediterranean, Alps, Jura). UK (Cornwall).

In more detail: Hebden Bridge, Cambridge, Bourges, Puy de Dome, Taragona, Horjaceno de los Montes, Parc Nacional de la Sierra Norte, Conil de la Frontera, El Rocio, Huelva, Jerez de los Cavelleros, Caceres, Madrid, Pena Fiel, Vielles St Girons, Leucate, Beziers, Lourmarin, Reillanne, Forcalquiers, Seyne les Alpes, Murinaias, Annecy, Arbois, Geraudot, Fieffes, Polzeath, Hebden Bridge. Lots of fabulous memories, not least the early morning nightingales., the cuckoos, and the scrumptious food in Spain.

6th year with our Cali and not finding it "dull, dull, dull" yet. Just the opposite! 500+ nights in it so far. Very happy we opted for a Cali! Back to France in August.

Well done! That sounds just what the Cali is best for.

We went to see the Picos a few years ago. They looked wonderful on our first day recce, but that was the last we saw of them, as they were submerged in cloud for the rest of the week (although the wild beaches west of Llianes more than made up for their absence). We enjoyed Albania last year too, although the Caravan Club insurance no longer offers Albanian cover this year and we couldn't find a good current alternative, even third-party only.

Just back from our first trip this year, from mid-April to late June. Less off-the-beaten-track - mostly unplanned and zig-zag, chasing the sun - but an eight week itinerary perfect for a Cali: In brief: Yorkshire. France (massif central). Spain (north east, south, middle). France again (south west Atlantic, south east Mediterranean, Alps, Jura). UK (Cornwall).

In more detail: Hebden Bridge, Cambridge, Bourges, Puy de Dome, Taragona, Horjaceno de los Montes, Parc Nacional de la Sierra Norte, Conil de la Frontera, El Rocio, Huelva, Jerez de los Cavelleros, Caceres, Madrid, Pena Fiel, Vielles St Girons, Leucate, Beziers, Lourmarin, Reillanne, Forcalquiers, Seyne les Alpes, Murinaias, Annecy, Arbois, Geraudot, Fieffes, Polzeath, Hebden Bridge. Lots of fabulous memories, not least the early morning nightingales., the cuckoos, and the scrumptious food in Spain.

6th year with our Cali and not finding it "dull, dull, dull" yet. Just the opposite! 500+ nights in it so far. Very happy we opted for a Cali! Back to France in August.
Thats what i like to see Richard - inspiring tales of californian adventure, fun, freedom and escape - i dont mind a bit of debate about seat covers and mattress protection, and hearing about all those ingenious ideas to stop the sliding tambour opening on its own - but keep the exciting stuff coming too

We are planning a 2 week trip to the Scottish West Coast in August. Only thing confirmed is the ferry to Arran and then 3 days on the Island. After that ferry from Lochranza onto the Mull of Kintyre, possibly Gigha for a night then up to the Crinan Canal and possibly Oban before turning East and south before heading back to Hampshire.

It is timed to be outside the Scottish School Holidays so should be quieter on the sites for last minute bookings.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

We are planning a 2 week trip to the Scottish West Coast in August. Only thing confirmed is the ferry to Arran and then 3 days on the Island. After that ferry from Lochranza onto the Mull of Kintyre, possibly Gigha for a night then up to the Crinan Canal and possibly Oban before turning East and south before heading back to Hampshire.

It is timed to be outside the Scottish School Holidays so should be quieter on the sites for last minute bookings.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
You'll have a great time, try & get up Goat Fell on Arran. Been to Mull a few times, it is beautiful, Calgary Bay & a trip to Iona are a must.
We go to Scotland a couple of times a year, mainly Outer Hebrides, Orkney, highlands & islands on the West coast, absolutely love it. Also highly recommend the Kingdom of Fife.
September we are back up for three & a half week, but the first time in a California, Wester Ross, Mallaig, Rum Eigg, Skye, Rathsay.

At Aubette camping outside city of Rouen en route to Brioude for a T de F hilly stage viewing. Pretty basic facilities but suits us for a few days before we move on. Came here via Agincourt, which was closed; this would have upset Henry Vth!
Look forward to tour Rouen. 09131DE1-7274-49BD-B77B-02DF9B56A442.jpeg