Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG - available from when?

D

Dickins

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I am looking to get my first Cali and want one with a DSG gearbox.

Can anyone tell me when the DSG box was introduced on the different power output engines?

It seems you can get the 180 with a DSG from around 2012, but I have not seen a lower powered version before about 2015.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome , i think DSG has been availeble before 2012 ...or did they call it tiptronic ?

Welcome , i think DSG has been availeble before 2012 ...or did they call it tiptronic ?
Tiptronic is a different system.

DSG introduced with the T5.1 or T5 Facelift, from 2009 onwards.
Not sure which models it was available on initially.
D92F1277-5EFE-416D-AD76-573374E79463.jpeg

My 180 DSG is March 2010, a 5.1...one of the first.

Introduced in 2009, but the vans didn’t actually get going until 2010 due to ... er. .... DSG delay. ;)

Sorry, I couldn’t resist it ... I’ll get me coat ...

Hi, thanks for responses so far. Looks like there were earlier models than I have seen, but I guess there weren’t many bought hence not many around.

I've got a 2008 DSG (175ps). Couldn't say whether it was standard or custom-ordered, as I bought it from a VW dealer who had put it together for one of their sales directors. But it proves the DSG was around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2007 van with Tiptronic - I don't know the technical difference, but effectively you can drive it exactly the same as DSG. I've never felt the need to use the Tiptronic aspect (choosing your gear manually) as I don't really know what it's for. Love automatic driving!

Maybe mine's tiptronic then - all I know is that there's a big lever which you shove into P,R,D, N or S (automatic), or you can flick it over as you're driving to go into a "touch" 6-speed manual selection. I never really thought ask what it was called - just love it!

Maybe mine's tiptronic then - all I know is that there's a big lever which you shove into P,R,D, N or S (automatic), or you can flick it over as you're driving to go into a "touch" 6-speed manual selection. I never really thought ask what it was called - just love it!
Yep, that's Tiptronic. Do you ever use the manual selection? If so, what for? I've never tried it!

I've used it a couple of times when going up a steep hill, and the automatic has been a bit slow in changing down (despite me stamping my foot down). I guess this is where the DSG was an improvement.

I suppose vehicles vary but I do a steep hill regularly, it's a narrow road so I have to slow to pass other vehicles and I'm always amazed by the way such a heavy vehicle picks up! Far better than the 2 litre car I had previously.