Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awning

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Fellow Cali owners,

I am thinking of getting a drive away awning for my 2017 Cali T6.
Can anyone please give me a recommendation as to which models work best for ease of use with regards to putting them up, and most importantly connecting and disconnecting from the existing wind out awning installed on my Cali when going out for the day. What is the easiest method for doing this?
Would I need a separate ground sheet as well as the awning?
Any preference between a blow up awning or one that uses pegs?
What about a free standing tent not attached to the van?
I don't need a sleeping compartment, just somewhere to keep our stuff when we take the van out for the day.
I know, lots of questions but would really appreciate any feedback.

We tried attaching a drive away awning once. Have used a free standing one ever since!
We replaced our pole one with an air one, and to be honest I regret that as it’s no easier to put up on my own and so much heavier. Ours has a groundsheet sewn in, but we put another under as most of the time we are on hardstandings. We have a milestone pace air - it’s great for longer trips but I’m thinking of getting a pop up type tent for short trips now. We have a beach and 2 growing boys so need an awning for most trips.
If you can, get one second hand if you aren’t sure.We sold our drive away one for half price after 2 uses as it wasn’t for us! :)

We have a Kampa travel pod action air, with air beams as the name suggests. Great piece of kit and we found it really easy to put up and take down. Having camped a ton easier than poles IMO. It's drive away and found this great too, just a matter of lining the van up which gets easier with practice. It's a decent size but not huge so may depend how much space you need. We'd only use it if staying for a few nights.

Not used it with the current van that has a wind out awning so no idea how to attach it now, but sure all will become clear when I get time to fiddle with it.

We have an older version of this Kyham Sleeper drive away awning and it is a great bit of kit... though we only paid about £250 for it in a January sale 3 or 4 years ago. It attaches easily enough using 3x figure of eight strips that we simply slip onto the top edge of the van's wind out awning. The 'tunnel' between van and main awning is a useful size space and has a separate zipper to main awning. The main awning can be used as one massive space or split into living area and sleeping pod capable of sleeping 4 people in one big 'bedroom' or two twins. It is pretty easy to put up / take down but quite heavy as there is a lot of tent! Our does not have an integrated groundsheet but this has never been an issue for us. Ask if you want more details.

Hi Fellow Cali owners,

I am thinking of getting a drive away awning for my 2017 Cali T6.
Can anyone please give me a recommendation as to which models work best for ease of use with regards to putting them up, and most importantly connecting and disconnecting from the existing wind out awning installed on my Cali when going out for the day. What is the easiest method for doing this?
Would I need a separate ground sheet as well as the awning?
Any preference between a blow up awning or one that uses pegs?
What about a free standing tent not attached to the van?
I don't need a sleeping compartment, just somewhere to keep our stuff when we take the van out for the day.
I know, lots of questions but would really appreciate any feedback.
If all you actually need is somewhere to keep stuff when you go out for the day... you could just use a pop up tent. Seconds to 'pop up' and a few minutes to perform the act of magic that allows you to fold it back into a circle that fits back in the bag!

We are still not sure if this drive away thing is something for us so we bought a cheap Decathlon tent. We didn't test it in rain as this would be the mai reason for us to keep it. Great to store seats and stuff or to create a some sort of separate room.
3ede767a9a7c2d437ef37d865b6fbdbc.jpg

4a8343709b6d38d7d09d96ac99831d71.jpg

Still in use. Still okay with it.

Last edited:
Back