Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drinking water tank - cleaning tank

We used to clean our tank with Milton just prior to use. However as we always camp on sites with electricity & water we no longer use the water tank at all. It avoids having to clean it & also reduces weight whilst travelling. (A gallon of water weighs 10lbs) When we need water for cooking I just go to the nearest tap. We keep a plastic bottle of water in the fridge for drinking. We do wash but on the campsite!. I suppose we have refined things down to suit ourselves after having a California for 22 years now.

We are going to a site later today where there are often queues for the bathrooms. Just outside the men’s loo there is a tap with a foot long hose over a grate. I often see chaps brushing their teeth using the water from the hose. They are not frequent campers and don’t seem to understand the chemical toilet sign.

We are going to a site later today where there are often queues for the bathrooms. Just outside the men’s loo there is a tap with a foot long hose over a grate. I often see chaps brushing their teeth using the water from the hose. They are not frequent campers and don’t seem to understand the chemical toilet sign.
Oops! That hose could have been inside someone’s loo! Aagh!

Hi,
Would it be recommended to add some sort of cleaning agent to the clean water tank / system to ensure water is safe to drink - if so, please can you recommend what to use?

As the van is not new and hasn't been used for a while (not sure how long TBH, poss 18 months or so) thinking of taking steps to clean the tank & system - any recommendations?

Thanks

Quarter fill, chuck in some Milton, drive around for a bit, drain into the waste tank rather than via the drain valve and let it do its thing in there too. Then flush and refill.
Seems to work fine.

Back