Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Draining water system on T6.1 Ocean

Graham S

Graham S

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi, I hope someone can help me with isolating the power supply to the sink tap on my T6.1 Ocean.
My last van, a T6 had a fuse which isolated the tap but VW advise me this model doesn’t have a dedicated fuse - they tell me that the pump can be switched off using the Control Console. I am unable to find any functionality in the Control Console relating to the water system (other than an indication of water level) and hence still cannot turn off power to the tap.
Can anyone advise please?

I drained mine but just literally draining the tank. I get the impression the tap allows for a slow leak of air or something as when I refilled it with water it seemed to be "dry" and needed to reprime for a few seconds before it started to pull water through again.

Hi, I hope someone can help me with isolating the power supply to the sink tap on my T6.1 Ocean.
My last van, a T6 had a fuse which isolated the tap but VW advise me this model doesn’t have a dedicated fuse - they tell me that the pump can be switched off using the Control Console. I am unable to find any functionality in the Control Console relating to the water system (other than an indication of water level) and hence still cannot turn off power to the tap.
I would recommend fitting a switch and relay to the tap power feed makes draining easy and prolongs the life of the tap (reduces the wear of the electrical contacts ) ……… https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/resources/sink-tap-modification.232/

There is no functionality on the console to switch the tap on or off. There is an error message if you let the tap run dry, but that is it.

If you want to "isolate" the pump, it just sits on top of the water tank in the rear cupboard - just remove the connections?

Just had the Van Centre Service Team revert to me, having raised an enquiry with VW Tech team. They advise me that the only requirement is to follow the Supplement to the Owners Manual - this simply advises that drainage of the system is via the drain handle in the gas compartment (fresh) and similarly under the fridge (waste).
No fuse to allow us to drain pipes.
I said that if the pipes freeze and burst VW would have to repair under warranty to which the Van Centre said ‘yes, probably’.
Not ideal

Just had the Van Centre Service Team revert to me, having raised an enquiry with VW Tech team. They advise me that the only requirement is to follow the Supplement to the Owners Manual - this simply advises that drainage of the system is via the drain handle in the gas compartment (fresh) and similarly under the fridge (waste).
No fuse to allow us to drain pipes.
I said that if the pipes freeze and burst VW would have to repair under warranty to which the Van Centre said ‘yes, probably’.
Not ideal
After emptying the tanks, I just run the tap for about 10 seconds or so just to get the last of the water out. Not long enough to burn out a pump but hopefully long enough to get sufficient water out of the body of the tap. It’s worked for me for the last 10 years…

I’ve followed the supplement but it does seem to contradict itself. At one point it says you should let the pump run dry but when discussing draining the system, it tells you to turn the tap on to let the water run out of the pipes.

I opened and drained both the fresh and waste water tanks and then ran the tap until the exact moment the water started to splutter. I’ll just leave it at that and use bottled water over the winter.

IMG_7920.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

After emptying the tanks, I just run the tap for about 10 seconds or so just to get the last of the water out. Not long enough to burn out a pump but hopefully long enough to get sufficient water out of the body of the tap. It’s worked for me for the last 10 years…
Wrote my reply while you were posting that so crossed. Pretty much what I did. I was in Langdale over the weekend and had sub zero temperatures with no issues so far. As you say, I’ve done this for over ten years in my previous T4 with no issues.

Try this post… you can unclip the tap micro switch quite easily, then suck the water through / blow back to the tank. Pics in this post.

Got to say though, I havent bothered this winter, just ran the pump to the waste tank (to flush it out), until nothing came out of the tap. So far we’ve had one good cold spell and the system is still fine.

Last edited:
Back