Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door card re-trim !

Pete M

Pete M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Both sides of the vans door cards have been scuffed (only very slightly but enough for the fabric to have grown a light adolescent beard) and was hoping to get the fabric section recovered (in leather) but after looking at the download in the VIP area I'm guessing that's not going to be possible as the card it all one piece?

It is possible as some folk have had them done as part of a full trim. Can't help with how to do it though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Both sides of the vans door cards have been scuffed (only very slightly but enough for the fabric to have grown a light adolescent beard) and was hoping to get the fabric section recovered (in leather) but after looking at the download in the VIP area I'm guessing that's not going to be possible as the card it all one piece?

There's quite a few places that break Cali's, if you check eBay there's always some door cards listed. Most of them have the same damage though (due to the awkward spinning seats)

I had mine done as part of a full retrim...

It involves drilling out the plastics welds between some of the panel pieces and is a real b*gger of a job.

Despite being done by a very highly regarded company, it was never up to my standard and I quickly changed them back to normal panels. The tucks around the edge and the skiving of the leather is very difficult to get smooth due to the close panels.

It can be done... but I wouldn't recommend it.

Others may have had a different experience and things may have changed since 2009.

Most of them have the same damage though (due to the awkward spinning seats)

Do people really struggle with this..?! I'd think it difficult to scrape the door panels, since you open the doors to turn the seats... unless of course, you don't... I could understand scraping of the B-column plastics by the seat back adjustment knob, since you need to get the seat well positioned (fore and aft) for this not to catch when you turn

Rgds
Mark

Last edited:
I was hoping to do this at some point as well, so I'm a bit disappointed that it's difficult to achieve a good result. My passenger panel has "bobbled" quite a bit, although surprisingly the drivers one is fine at the moment.

I don't think it's been caused by turning the seat as we are always really careful. It's more likely general wear and tear and VW's use of a not very hardwearing fabric. I would be interested to know if anyone has achieved good results either with leather or some other hard wearing fabric.

Thanks.
Mark

I always open the doors, mine were like it when I purchased it!
I fancy a laugh, I might phone the dealer and see how much new door cards are :eek:

Wonder if one of those knitwear shavers/de-bobbler would work?

Most of them have the same damage though (due to the awkward spinning seats)
I always open the doors, mine were like it when I purchased it!
I fancy a laugh, I might phone the dealer and see how much new door cards are :eek:

Wonder if one of those knitwear shavers/de-bobbler would work?

Pete,
There are some Caravelle door panels on Ebay at the moment for £150ish which is what I sold my leather trimmed ones for.

Rgds
Mark

I thought about trying to carefully cut off the "bobbles" but I was worried it might make it worse. They aren't quite like wool bobbles and are really pulled threads. I thought if I chopped them off it would perhaps cause the thread to run and then look even worse.

I reckon ours are probably caused by velcro on coat cuffs/bags etc. but am only guessing. I would think new door cards would be very expensive and would have the same problem of poor material anyway. I did come across this when I was looking previously:

14.jpg

This was by a company called Exploria: http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/california-upgrades.aspx

I didn't investigate much further since they are a long way from us.

Mark

I did come across this when I was looking previously:

Very similar to the way mine were done... you'll notice the puckering in the lower corners of the pocket and the lumps and bumps along the top edge... Maybe I'm being picky but it was obvious enough for the retrim company to buy new door panels and leave the old ones with me...

Rgds
Mark

btw @SimplyDubs, do you know any good retrimmers in the area? I notice you are pretty close to me.

Thanks
Mark

I went quite far north to be honest for a couple of my vehicles. I'll have a word with a friend who does some serious custom bodywork to see he uses to finish the jobs.

I'll pm and take it offline

Rgds
M

Transcal in Bristol are good, they do a lot of retrims for high end marques. Talk to raged Roy he used them. They make covers up & you take van to them for fitting in a day "while you wait"

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You could swap them out for the more 'work a day' beach cards. No fabric on them to bobble. The door levers however are a bit dull.

Back