Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I need an International Driving Permit for Spain?

Theodora

Theodora

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We're taking Theodora to Spain in 3 weeks. Does anyone know if we need an International Driving Permit (IDP)? There seems to be conflicting advice on various websites, and the "gov.uk/driving abroad website" isn't exactly 100% clear. No one at several Post Offices seems to know, even though they provide them. I think we probably don't, but trying to get a definite answer.
Thanks

not until Brexit day -- then yes and it's a different one to the one you need for France

Ah, yes, Brexit! (Reaction just for the sheer joy of typing it without it being changed to 'Boris bike' ...:D )

Not until 1 November, and only then if we leave the EU without any bilateral agreement in place •and• the EU won’t allow British motorists already in the EU a unilateral grace period.

Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles)1949 TypeIf the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019, you’ll be able to drive here without an IDP until 31 July 2020. From 1 August 2020 onwards, you will need an IDP if you’re staying in Spain for more than 6 months. If you have an older, paper UK driving licence, you must take another form of photographic ID, such as your passport.
UK Gov advice as of today 05/08/2019.

Country by Country advice is here - https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Many thanks everyone - think I'll be OK without one then. Got worried when my insurance company told me that many of their customers were getting them, but possibly more Brexit confusion.

Back