Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY Ladder

N

Nigel hawkes

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've owned a VW Caravelle for over 10years and had always planned to buy a California when the kids left home. Last October I rented one from the lovely people at California Scotland it didn't disappoint in any way and led to me to buying one slightly sooner than I had planned. However, the one thing which did prove a challenge was getting up top! The problem was a total lack of anywhere to put your foot to get a leg up when the front seats are reversed and, invariably, I ended up nose into the mattress as somehow I made it up there. I wanted something which would be easy to use, could easily be put out of the way when not in use and didn't cost a fortune. It also needed to have minimum chance of causing any damage. I've ended up creating a ladder, albeit to use only one step, from 32mm solvent weld waste pipe and 2 broom handles, total cost about £20! Silicon sealant was used to fill part of the gap between the broom handle and tube to increase the stiffness. As the ladder is used in a fairly vertical position the lateral forces are quite small, I weight about 90Kg and it's perfectly strong enough for me. When not in use it is just laid along the centre of the mattress and the roof closed, it is just held in place by a slight compression of the mattress. I did create a prototype using 40mm waste pipe and aluminium tube which was significantly stronger but was tighter in the roof although I could still push my hand under it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - great idea but not sure I would trust the materials. Be handy to lead the pipes to the porta potty from the roof though, just need a funnel :D

Did you get all those pieces for £20 - definitely from B&Q, their waste pipe is expensive!

All components came from www.toolstation.com
Code, Description, Qty, Price
23243, PVC Pipe solvent cement 250ml, 1, £4.38
30010, Wooden brush handle, 2, £1.75
65399, Solvent weld waste pipe 3m 32mm black, 1, £3.53
73415, General purpose silicone 310ml, 1, £2.07
91119, Solvent weld tee 32mm, 10, £0.68

Total cost £20.28

Hmmm - great idea but not sure I would trust the materials. Be handy to lead the pipes to the porta potty from the roof though, just need a funnel :D

The rungs are only 130mm wide so could support an elephant and all the forces are mainly compressive in the uprights. I wouldn't use it to cross a crevice though!

Like the idea of incorporating an upstairs loo - I'll look into it:)

Nice to see constructive original posts

Like it :thumb

Total cost £20.28
Thanks for the idea and parts list..... Just started on construction!

We've just got back from our first trip with the ladder, it's difficult to express the simple pleasure of being able to get up top in one step:)

Good luck with the construction,

Reactions: DM
Im driving around with a THULE box for my surfgear. My challenge was to gain easy access, so I found a solution with a telescope latter (http://dagensbolig.dk/produkt/teleskopstige-260-meter/). I had to modify a bit – shortening the legs – but now it fist perfect in the drawer under the seats. And as extra bonus it gives easy access to the "first floor".

tele-260-dagensbolig-01.jpg

This forum just gets better.....:pinkbanana

I got this one :
https://www.dewitschijndel.nl/stla-titta-aluminium-ladder/
I bought the 150 cm model and made it shorter and narrower. It is easy to dissasemble , all you need is a metal saw and cut the legs and steps according to your preferences. I made it a bit shorter for easier transport and narrower ((23cm if I remember well) to fit in between handbrake and passenger seat while upright . Good quality and ligthweight.

You can find it also here for example :
https://www.camping-kaufhaus.com/brunner-alkovenleiter-scala-3-150-x-28-cm-klappbar/a-21319/

The foldable version you can find also here for example :
https://www.campingshopwagner.de/pr...kovenleiter-Scala-3-150-x-28-cm-klappbar.html

Last edited:
Wouldn't a little rope ladder do the trick and be easier to store?

Wouldn't a little rope ladder do the trick and be easier to store?
Rope ladder has been done DIY and posted by a member here before.
Problem is new posts on thesame issues keep poppin' up always giving about the same solutions....
IMG_1128.PNG

Last edited:
Hi all,
I don't want to really fork our £100+ on one of the proper ladders to get up into bed easier. Was wondering if anyone had come up with cheap DIY solution?

Thanks

I copied this one but ended up not using it.

We love the wooden ladder which my husband made, you can see my 2017 posting below, or search on the word 'ladder' to find it.

Total cost £20.28
Nigel, you say you store this up top when not in use, has that been satisfactory? I assume the 32mm pipe dimension is about the depth, the flanges will be a little more.

Tom

Nigel, you say you store this up top when not in use, has that been satisfactory? I assume the 32mm pipe dimension is about the depth, the flanges will be a little more.

Tom
Hi Tom,
It worked perfectly, both in use and storage but at the end of the day the less you have to pack the better. With a bit more experience I’ve found that closing up the backrest (seat facing backwards) that the top of the backrest is suitable for me to climb up. It does take effort and I can imagine it getting harder at which time the ladder will come back in use.
With regard to the 32mm you are right the flanges take a little more but I did make an earlier version using 40mm pipe with aluminium tubes instead of the broom handles which was ok but felt a little tight.

Nigel

Im driving around with a THULE box for my surfgear. My challenge was to gain easy access, so I found a solution with a telescope latter (http://dagensbolig.dk/produkt/teleskopstige-260-meter/). I had to modify a bit – shortening the legs – but now it fist perfect in the drawer under the seats. And as extra bonus it gives easy access to the "first floor".

View attachment 12068

I have the same issue and use the same solution.
Again. The only issue with the ladder, is finding somewhere to store it.
Been trying to work out a way to make the ladder narrower, but not sure.

I do like the idea of trimming the legs down. Might then be possible to fit in the side of the chair adjacent the sliding door...?

I have the same issue and use the same solution.
Again. The only issue with the ladder, is finding somewhere to store it.
Been trying to work out a way to make the ladder narrower, but not sure.

I do like the idea of trimming the legs down. Might then be possible to fit in the side of the chair adjacent the sliding door...?

I just took off the two rubber "feet" and cut off two centimetres with a hand saw, fitted the rubber again and voila it fitted in the drawer – where we keep all our camping accessories anyway.

Total cost £20.28
Can you definitely close the roof with the ladder on top of the mattress?

Back