Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel Heater Remote Control

C

California John

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The remote for the aux heater worked until the drivers door was completely knocked off during an MOT. Not the best news. I didn’t test the diesel heater at the time as it was warm summer weather. On the first winter run up, the heater worked fine from the central control panel but not from the remote. Of course it was too late by then.
Update - new battery in the remote fob, both red and green leds working. The remote will not synchronise according to VEHVAC in Edenbridge. They have just serviced and mended the heater. Apparently some dental floss was drawn in through the intake by the drivers door step and wrapped itself around then jammed the fan. One expensive piece of dental floss.
Anyway, back to the remote not working. Does anyone know where the Webasto receiver control unit is located on a 2008 California SE. I’ve taken off driver and passenger mirror housings - no antennae and no control unit. I’ve removed the panel above the pedals - no antennae and no control unit. Surely there are only so many places VW could hide it?
Contacted three different VW van centres. No idea where the control unit is.
Does anyone out there know?

IMG_7832.jpeg

IMG_7833.jpeg

IMG_7834.jpeg

IMG_7826.jpeg

The remote for the aux heater worked until the drivers door was completely knocked off during an MOT. Not the best news. I didn’t test the diesel heater at the time as it was warm summer weather. On the first winter run up, the heater worked fine from the central control panel but not from the remote. Of course it was too late by then.
Update - new battery in the remote fob, both red and green leds working. The remote will not synchronise according to VEHVAC in Edenbridge. They have just serviced and mended the heater. Apparently some dental floss was drawn in through the intake by the drivers door step and wrapped itself around then jammed the fan. One expensive piece of dental floss.
Anyway, back to the remote not working. Does anyone know where the Webasto receiver control unit is located on a 2008 California SE. I’ve taken off driver and passenger mirror housings - no antennae and no control unit. I’ve removed the panel above the pedals - no antennae and no control unit. Surely there are only so many places VW could hide it?
Contacted three different VW van centres. No idea where the control unit is.
Does anyone out there know?

View attachment 113089

View attachment 113090

View attachment 113091

View attachment 113092
Looking at the drawing you supplied the Control Unit is around the engine battery, either behind or below.
Have you checked the Camper Control Panel for any errors and cleared them?
Have you checked with VW software or VCDS that a Remote is paired with the heater?

Looking at the drawing you supplied the Control Unit is around the engine battery, either behind or below.
Have you checked with VW software or VCDS that a Remote is paired with the heater?
Thank you so much for answering my question. I did remove the battery cover. Alas not there. Vehvac said they were unable to synchronise the fob (same as pairing) I’m not sure. Could the. Webasto receiver be under the removable panel above the passenger footwell? I have removed the glovebox before but I don’t remember seeing it behind there

Have a look around the T6 forum. I have a hazy recollection of someone being able to sync a remote by pulling the heater fuse, replacing it and transmitting with the remote. The timing was the secret sauce I think.

Have a look around the T6 forum. I have a hazy recollection of someone being able to sync a remote by pulling the heater fuse, replacing it and transmitting with the remote. The timing was the secret sauce I think.
Thank you for your advice.

I thought it was actually just behind the glove box. So inside the van but also just behind the starter battery but separated by the bulkhead.

I thought it was actually just behind the glove box. So inside the van but also just behind the starter battery but separated by the bulkhead.
Looking at the Diagram posted by @California John , the shape of the holding bracket and the shape showing it’s position on the vehicle I inferred that it it is on the engine bulkhead, engine side, behind or below the battery.

Looking at the Diagram posted by @California John , the shape of the holding bracket and the shape showing it’s position on the vehicle I inferred that it it is on the engine bulkhead, engine side, behind or below the battery.
My guess was based on seeing a post somewhere asking “what is this” showing a photo of the receiver dangling in the footwell.

Thank you so much for answering my question. I did remove the battery cover. Alas not there. Vehvac said they were unable to synchronise the fob (same as pairing) I’m not sure. Could the. Webasto receiver be under the removable panel above the passenger footwell? I have removed the glovebox before but I don’t remember seeing it behind there
I did check the control panel for any error codes. It’s saying “No Errors.”

I did check the control panel for any error codes. It’s saying “No Errors.”
Thank you. Can you confirm it’s behind the glove box. I did remove the glovebox to fit an additional usb power socket. As I said, I can’t recall seeing the receiver. It has a connector and an antennae socket.

Back