Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decisions, decisions...........

L

logyk

VIP Member
In anticipation of the arrival of my new Cali later this month , I have already sorted mats from QTM and seat covers from Inka.

I am now turning my attention to a screen cover. The choice appears to rest between external covers - Silverlite, Taylormade or Comfortz Leisure, or internal screens - Brandrup Isolite.

The differences in price are not great enough to be a deciding factor - I am looking purely at the most practical solution. I should perhaps add that my Cali will have wind deflectors fitted when it arrives, which may or may not be a factor.

I would appreciate the views of those who have experience of these products. I am working on the basis that any advantages or disadvantages only become apparent with use.

Thanks to any who take the trouble to respond. I fear this may not be my last quandry over accessories for the van.

Hi there I am testing the brandrup internal ones at the moment in france
Working well and store in the roof :thumb

external ones will keep the sun getting to the screen ,so will be cooler than internal ones . ;)

We've got an external one from http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/ I think it's great. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. It also reduces condensation when camping in colder termperatures.

Calikev said:

What sort of temperatures are you encountering Kev ?

choplee said:
external ones will keep the sun getting to the screen ,so will be cooler than internal ones . ;)

That makes sense, although it would be interesting to know the difference in temperatures generated when using each screen.

Are there any downsides to using an external screen ?

And will they fit with deflectors in place ?

Yes external will fit with deflectors fitted. Not found any real disadvantage yet. Dont pack up very small, but not a problem for me. Big advantage is you don't get condensation that you get with internal ones in cooler weather.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

External screens are another thing to dry, they can scuff paintwork, they get mucky.

Internal for us; happy with the supplied ones.

Calikev said:

Kev,

Were you testing the Isolite or the Isolite Extreme ?

How did you get on with them and what sort of temperatures did you experience ?

I am about to take the plunge and would appreciate your findings.

Thanks

Hi when we were in France we were experiencing 38 degree temperature I can't really say that the Brandrup ones kept it any cooler. But that being said I am still glad I bought them no condensation when I tried them in the uk back in June. They are a great fit and store in the roof so no issues with taking up space. Would I reccomend them well yes :thumb good luck with your final choice

Sorry to go on Kev, but Brandrup now do two types of internal screen - the Isolite and the Isolite extreme.

Do you know which you have ?

Yes I have the isolite ones not the extreme :thumb

Just a point - we have the silver screens externals and they are brilliant at reducing internal heat from sunlight and also dramatically reduce condensation when it's well below freezing. Never found storing them an issue as they pop into their own bag and dry quickly if they're damp. HOWEVER - if you wild camp remember that you have to exit the vehicle to remove them and this might not be something you want to do if you encounter some unfriendly or simply mischievous locals.

I wouldn't mind a set of internals that were black on one side and silvered the other as they would be far less obvious when making a discrete stopover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have an external silver screens type, but generally only use it once temperatures start to cool down. Helps keep the Cali warmer and prevents condensation on the inside of the windscreen.

During warmer weather we only use the standard cal internal ones as condensation isn't an issue and we generally keep a window open during the night

Calikev said:
Yes I have the isolite ones not the extreme :thumb

Hi Kev, I have been admiring these for some time, would you say they are quick and easy to install?.. I think they have Velcro on them, is this correct??

Yes you are right each side window has 4 Velcro dots that you stick to the inside of the door
The cover has coresponding tabs that just attach to the Velcro dots really easy. The windscreen cover comes with a very thin strip of Velcro that attaches to the very top of the windscreen
The windscreen cover then attaches to this. It also has a material piece with Velcro for going round the mirror. I will try and get some picture's up over the weekend when the rain stops
Well thought out as always