Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer haggles

D

DebsWhite

VIP Member
Hi, I'm about to start haggling with dealers over prices for a beach. Will be paying cash and would like to pick one up with less than 10k. Ex demo would be great! Can anyone tell me how much you can reasonably expect dealers to move on price? I know it depends on spec, but I was looking around the 30 to 35k mark.

There should be some good deals about at this time of year.
A lot of the dealers will be wanting to offload pre-reg vehicles as they will in effect be a year old after Jan 1st even with the '62 reg. Obviously affects future trade in value.
Check Volkswagens web site for used(pre-reg) vehicles to get a good idea of starting price and then haggle. As a cash buyer you should be in a good bargaining position.
At the end of the day it's all down to dealer stock.

Hubert

Take a look in our new trade section on the for sale page
Might be something there

What they said and price a new one up on drivethedeal so you can see what you are really saving.

as the Beach has not sold as much as anticipated I suspect you shopuld be able to negotiate a good price as they wont really want to carry 2012 stock into 2013
but then again VW are not known for cheap offers :lol:

Have a look on auto trader. I was looking for a friend yesterday and I thought there were some good deals. There are two 62 plate 140's for early thirties. One is advertised at £26k gross vat qualifying but it will be plus the vat - if not its an amazing deal..

We got 11% on our SE and are due to collect it in january . This matched the Drive the Deal price and I got odds and sods thrown in . We were offered pre reg vehicles with less discount on the new price. So hit them hard to start with . I had 2 dealers pitted against each other and as a cash buyer with no p/x kept at them till one gave up. Pretty sure I could have done better if I was prepared to travel 100's of miles to collect it . Depending who you talk to depends on what margin dealers are working to. 10% seeming to be what I was told the most. So once over this you are into their bonus cash. Not sure we will ever find out true dealer margins as this seems a closely guarded secret and the men in black erase memories should it be divulged.
Good luck with the negotiations and let us know how you get on. As someone else said , end of year great time to buy.

I Just got 17% of a new BM for my dad - a fair bit lower than drive the deal and less than another garage were selling a 6 month old second hand one for! I think a lot of it is being in the right place at the right time and finding a garage that needs to make a sale to hit their targets.

David Eccles said:
as the Beach has not sold as much as anticipated I suspect you shopuld be able to negotiate a good price as they wont really want to carry 2012 stock into 2013
but then again VW are not known for cheap offers :lol:

Hi David

Where did you get that info from. I'd be interested to read about the sales expectations. If you have a link or something that would be great.

Cheers

James

nothing official about this of course from VW though some automotive sites may refer to it maybe. I have contacts within VW Uk and this was part of an informal conversation I had a while back and of course its NOT something anyone could quote or use! I mentioned as just knowing sales have not been as high as hoped may be helpful to just know as there could well be bargains around if one looks hard, but it could NOT be used as a negotiating tool! I think they prob expected to sell more Beach models as people would like the more open flexible use, but I think many have decided if they are spending loadsa money they may as well get a Cali! In the scheme of things the Cali/Beach models have quite a small yearly production - and its not as if there are loads unsold waiting around, as nearly all have to be ordered and built specifically....so more likely to drive down a price would be wanting moving the 2012 stock..which is something all makers / dealers have to deal with at this timne of year I guess.

David Eccles said:
nothing official about this of course from VW though some automotive sites may refer to it maybe. I have contacts within VW Uk and this was part of an informal conversation I had a while back and of course its NOT something anyone could quote or use! I mentioned as just knowing sales have not been as high as hoped may be helpful to just know as there could well be bargains around if one looks hard, but it could NOT be used as a negotiating tool! I think they prob expected to sell more Beach models as people would like the more open flexible use, but I think many have decided if they are spending loadsa money they may as well get a Cali! In the scheme of things the Cali/Beach models have quite a small yearly production - and its not as if there are loads unsold waiting around, as nearly all have to be ordered and built specifically....so more likely to drive down a price would be wanting moving the 2012 stock..which is something all makers / dealers have to deal with at this timne of year I guess.

My personal opinion is that the Beach has two things against it.

The awkward structure of VW commercials in the UK which makes the Beach look expensive and the second problem is the culture of UK car buyers which is largely geared around the badge and badge snobbery.

Anyone who has seen my Beach has loved it and most Beach owners will tell you how useful as vehicles they are. It seems we could end in the same position as Rhd T4 multivans.

I bought mine because I'd long wanted a VW MUltivan style vehicle having owned a T3 Vanagon.

James

Cash Buyer

When we bought are van I did not say much about how were were paying and I felt they expected that I was buying on credit (the dealers work the money they are making on the credit into the deal)

My advise work as you are want credit then went price is right at the 11th hour take the cash out of the rucksack and say you have decided cash sale is want you want

We have one as a demo at the moment that you could have. Please call Hugh in our sales department on 01403 839640

Thanks

Great, thanks everyone. Really useful advice. Watch this space!

HY09UMU said:
Cash Buyer

When we bought are van I did not say much about how were were paying and I felt they expected that I was buying on credit (the dealers work the money they are making on the credit into the deal)

My advise work as you are want credit then went price is right at the 11th hour take the cash out of the rucksack and say you have decided cash sale is want you want

I'm 99% sure that the dealerships will not take cash on site and if you did this i'm sure all the haggling before hand would have got you a deal you was happy with and they more than likely would call your bluff ,as all the paperwork had been done for that deal...
I know a guy that did that with a transporter i'll not go into details .... :shocked

I'm sure the SMG will be able to sort you out :thumb

I have been in car sales for much of my life both with small and large dealerships and it is a myth that being a cash buyer is a good thing.

When we have a cash buyer arrive at our showroom we have all the bank charges associated with the transaction which can run into hundreds of pounds.

When we have someone want to buy on finace we make a much higher profit margin as we do not have the fee's as mentioned above and we also receive a very nice commission off the finance company which can sometimes run into thousands of pounds.

So to sum up we are more likley to give a discount if you are buying on finance we can use the finance houses commission to adjust your price.

spot on van-solo it was clear on our purchase I was getting the feelingthey would have given more off the bottom line deal if I had not been paying cash and took finance for all or part of the deal. My Cali cost twice as much as our first house :shocked and that took 25 years to pay off

Back