Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash cam

P

Patrickphipps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Can anybody recommend a good quality dash cam that fits neatly in a 6.1 ?
Thanks

I’ve just fitted a next base one in my work van. Excellent quality and it attaches to holder magnetically so you can use it in multiple vehicles. You just need to fit another power supply in the other vehicle or vehicles. I’m going to get another power supply for my Cali so I can use it in that too. Just remember to buy a memory card the same time as the dash cam as they don’t come with one. I couldn’t use mine for 2 days as had no memory card. It’s great as you download everything to your phone as and when you need to so no need to plug into a computer and download footage.

Can anybody recommend a good quality dash cam that fits neatly in a 6.1 ?
Thanks
Thinkware dash cams are a neat fit. Three sucessful claims in 5 years against a third party thanks to my dash cam footage.

I have the Blackvue DR900X with the LTE unit. Works brilliant and gives me pan Euro wifi in the van for 4 quid a month. Took some fitting, especially the rear camera, but after some noodling it's well hidden and the wires nicely tucked away.

Where do you plug the dash cams into. The 12 sockets are on all the time so will drain the battery.

Where do you plug the dash cams into. The 12 sockets are on all the time so will drain the battery.
Piggy back fuse into say something like the heater fuse that only comes on when the ignition is on. Most cameras have a small internal battery that is sufficient to cover dailyuse whilst parked up.

Into the fuse box for the blackvue. One perm live and one switched. The unit switches off (for me) when the starter battery gets to 12.5V (a figure I set in software ). In the newer 6.1 all the 12V are now wired to the leisures (I thought the cab one was starter but have checked and nope, leisures) so if you are plugging into a 12V you should either unplug when parked or set the software if it is in the system. On EHU you would be fine as the EHU will charge the batteries fast than the DashCam drains it.

I’ve got 2 nextbase cams. Not bothered to wire them in so just plugged into the 12v outlets on the dash and in the boot. When I’m not driving I just unplug them as they will drain the batteries if left plugged in for a long time.

I've got a VanTrue N4 ....

Front & Interior ....
20220403_134556.jpg
Rear ...
RearCamera.JPG

Thinkware F800 Pro Front & Rear dash cam fitted to my California. The power supply from engine battery fitted with a low voltage detector which cuts power to dash cam if engine voltage drops to a point that would either damage the battery and/or prevent the engine from starting. I assume all dash cams can have such a device fitted.
Turning off the dash cam when parked up seems a very big compromise. I value the fact my dash cam will record events when parked up as well as driving. No issues with draining batteries over the 5 years fitted

Hardwired DRX750 2CH LTE Blackvue cameras front and rear with parking mode. Low voltage cutoff.

Excellent system and like you, no problem over the 3 years fitted. Has Live View function via the App on my phone (although never use it) and recently discovered it works really well as a WiFi hotspot.

* Rear camera fitted on tailgate glass so still functional when the rear blind is in place.

Hardwired DRX750 2CH LTE Blackvue cameras front and rear with parking mode. Low voltage cutoff.

Excellent system and like you, no problem over the 3 years fitted. Has Live View function via the App on my phone (although never use it) and recently discovered it works really well as a WiFi hotspot.

* Rear camera fitted on tailgate glass so still functional when the rear blind is in place.
When you hard wired this in, did it need any additional kit over what’s in the box? I’ve seen there’s a separate Blackvue Power Magic Pro for hardwiring but not sure if it’s needed.

When you hard wired this in, did it need any additional kit over what’s in the box? I’ve seen there’s a separate Blackvue Power Magic Pro for hardwiring but not sure if it’s needed.
Yes, mine has the Power Magic Pro, however I believe newer versions of Blackvue cameras have that feature built into the camera? The installer I used (SatNav Solutions) also needed an extension cable for the rear camera.

Yes, mine has the Power Magic Pro, however I believe newer versions of Blackvue cameras have that feature built into the camera? The installer I used (SatNav Solutions) also needed an extension cable for the rear camera.
Our BV 900 has the BMP built in so was not needed. You need a 10M cable for the rear, the 6M was not long enough but then I brought mine across the back, through the rubber grommet and cable hose, into the back door and across the top of the back door. If you were to just come out at the airplane lockers 6m would work, but wasn't a neat enough job for me.

There is currently a sale on the official BV site in the UK.

The hotspot sounds very useful. I see from the Blackvue website that the sim card has 40GB per month. Do you know how much data you can use for other things whilst still ensuring that there is enough for the dashcam to operate properly?

The hotspot sounds very useful. I see from the Blackvue website that the sim card has 40GB per month. Do you know how much data you can use for other things whilst still ensuring that there is enough for the dashcam to operate properly?
We have the CM100LTE unit, which is the same really but seperate. Same SIM. In use it is mainly used to connect to the camera and exchange data if remotely looking at videos. We have not set ours to auto upload any which would use data. That means we have the full 40GB to use a month on streaming etc. The rub is you have no idea how much you have used because that is how the V Sim from Vodafone works. The only way you know it's ran out is if it stops working and you get a mail from them. Not even the app tells you. That said, only happened to us once. I asked them about this and they basically said they sized it for people to not have to worry. So I don't.

Our BV 900 has the BMP built in so was not needed. You need a 10M cable for the rear, the 6M was not long enough but then I brought mine across the back, through the rubber grommet and cable hose, into the back door and across the top of the back door. If you were to just come out at the airplane lockers 6m would work, but wasn't a neat enough job for me.

There is currently a sale on the official BV site in the UK.

Really useful - thanks. Will see how I get on with fitting it.

I don’t suppose you remember which fuses it taps into and where? Assuming the drivers side fuse box is the easiest rather than running it through into the engine compartment?

Edited to add another question: what’s the max SD card size that’s known to work?

Last edited:
Hey i have been using the wolfbox mirror dashcam since Sep22 and has been great for rear visibility when rear is packed / 24hr dashcam front and rear. link to my youtube below. There are newer models out now which have better resolution.

Last edited:
Really useful - thanks. Will see how I get on with fitting it.

I don’t suppose you remember which fuses it taps into and where? Assuming the drivers side fuse box is the easiest rather than running it through into the engine compartment?

Edited to add another question: what’s the max SD card size that’s known to work?
I do - PM me and I'll send you a picture. Yes - come across the drivers headlining, down the A pillar post and into the fusebox. You will need to remove the A trim.

I have a 128GB one in now - removed the 32 it came with. Not all SD cards work, the Samsung Endurance Pro is the recommended.

Hi Team Cali,
I have just bought a Garmin Mini 2 Dash Cam and plugged it into the 12V socket on the dash for a few days until the hardwire kit arrives. This socket draws its power from the starter batter.
The control panel of the Cali shows a current draw when it is on, but I thought that panel was only connected to the leisure battery, not the starter battery?
Am I wrong about that?

Hi Team Cali,
I have just bought a Garmin Mini 2 Dash Cam and plugged it into the 12V socket on the dash for a few days until the hardwire kit arrives. This socket draws its power from the starter batter.
The control panel of the Cali shows a current draw when it is on, but I thought that panel was only connected to the leisure battery, not the starter battery?
Am I wrong about that?
We have a 2012 with two dash sockets; one runs off engine battery , the other off the leisure battery.