Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash-cam disconnected at service

edzt

edzt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Took the van into VW Preston for its first service and a couple of warranty issues.

One issue they fixed, the DAB reception problem they made worse
On pickup, I was informed ‘we’ve tried several of our van in stock and the reception on all of them was poor’!!

On the drive home I noticed the dash-cam had been disconnected. A couple of miles later it fell of the screen and ended up in the door well.

Do dealers normally disconnect the camera?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took the van into VW Preston for its first service and a couple of warranty issues.

On pickup, I was informed ‘we’ve tried several of our van in stock and the reception on all of them was poor’!!

On the drive home I noticed the dash-cam had been disconnected. A couple of miles later it fell of the screen and ended up in the door well.

Standard practice in almost every garage to disconnect dash cam. Not just VW.

Standard from what I have experienced.

Yes, they all seem to do it. I guess they don’t want you knowing what they’re doing.

I read last week that it is a requirement on an MOT test that cameras are turned off.
Presume the garages have a policy where they do it on every visit, same way they turn off Auto headlights ect.

Yes, they all seem to do it. I guess they don’t want you knowing what they’re doing.

You have no legal right to take photographs or videos on private property without the express permission of the landowner/property owner or any individuals present without their individual permission.
The fact that you the owner is or is not present is immaterial the dash am is owned by you and you have access to the video.

I doubt if any dash am footage would be very informative with the bonnet up.

You have no legal right to take photographs or videos on private property without the express permission of the landowner/property owner or any individuals present without their individual permission.
The fact that you the owner is or is not present is immaterial the dash am is owned by you and you have access to the video.

I doubt if any dash am footage would be very informative with the bonnet up.

I agree, it wasn’t a moan, they have every right to not have their work recorded
I just wish they’d been a little less clumsy

I agree, it wasn’t a moan, they have every right to not have their work recorded
I just wish they’d been a little less clumsy
That's why I turn off on arrival.

Preston did the same for my dashcam recently - and yes it did fall off into the footwell... at least it made me update the software before reinstalling. I think it had only been disconnected just this latest service.

Yes standard practice but i have an independent rear which you cannot see unless you open rear hatch, thats never been spotted!

Also note that many dashcams interfere with the DAB, especially if near the antenna

Back