Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dark thoughts

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Just weighing up the pros and cons of moving our Cali on and wanted to seek the wisdom of the forum - it has 5 months warranty left and clearly it's Spring so a good time to sell BUT we do have four weeks planned abroad (all of August) - mileage is currently 18k, the trip would push that to over 20k and we'd have virtually no warranty left when we returned. We are flexible and could happily take a car/replacement vehicle and stay in hotels/B&Bs instead.

I know it's a desirable spec and so should move easily - would you hang on, do the holiday then move it on, sell now or just keep it?! Clearly it would be worth less after the holiday but by how much I wonder (a grand or so doesn't matter, several grand definitely does!)

No urgent need for funds, just thinking it might be a good time to move it on - we'd probably get something different (not a camper) to replace it.

I feel guilty even thinking about it...

Life's too short!

Go on holiday and enjoy your Cali :)

YOU HAVE DECIDE IS YOUR GLASS 1/2 EMPTY OR 1/2 FULL.

I would use it to the full but if I get the the stage I felt I had to worry too much (what ever vehicle I had) It is time to change

The reliability thing is a consideration but we're not consumed with worry about it.

I have a feeling our minds will keep flicking from "sell" to "keep!"

Our kids would be GUTTED if we moved it on!

As you suggest... it really comes down to an overall "Sell or Keep" decision in my opinion.

If you've made up your mind to ultimately sell, then sooner rather than later is probably the best option... You don't want to worry about damage, mileage addition, further depreciation and spoil the holiday you've got planned.

In reality a couple of thousand miles on your exceptionally low mileage, high spec isn't going to make a huge difference in price. (I certainly wouldn't expect multiple of thousands in difference) but it may take longer to sell after the main holiday period.

To me it feels as though you've decided that the campering thing isn't a major passion for you... You like it, but are more than happy with the many other options out there. It's a lot of money to have tied up if that is the case.

A lot of us rave about the Cali and general capering experience... I'm one of them, but I don't look at it though rose coloured spectacles. Campering (over other options... motorhomes, caravans, small hotels, guest houses, gites, farm houses and villas) is one of compromises (and there are many), trade offs against the mobility and indeed perceived lifestyle value. These compromises mean it's not for everyone and indeed is likely to change over time.

Ultimately only you can play that trade off game... And have a lot of fun while you do :)

"Tis a dilemma indeed...

Personally, we decided to keep. Problems and all. I think we're now with ours for the long run. (5 years and counting).. but then again we have two other VW campers ('72 and '02), so it's a bit of an obsession. There's no way I would consider parting with the money that new Cali's are now commanding... We were lucky enough to get ours before the exchange rate changes, the crash and the related price changes from VW. Our spec would now come in at well over £16k more than we paid... I'd find that sitting a little uneasy with me.

The single most important thing is to enjoy the time with the family, do that any way you can. The memories are irreplaceable.

IF you have in fact made the decision to sell... the choice in reality is... Make it a camper trip to remember (Make a really big deal out of taking the camper) or take the money and make it a trip to remember in other ways... (No doubt made easier with a little of the cash ;) )

Apologies for the random, and slightly incoherent post... Hopefully helps or at least stimulates a few ideas.

Rgds

Mark

Unless there is a history of expensive reliability problems then keep. Get it serviced prior to the warranty running out and have a full mechanical checkover.

So, it comes out of warranty in September, you wait three months, place an order for April 2015 and sell then if you feel the pressure to have a vehicle under warranty.

Mark - thanks for that; I enjoyed reading your post.

We do absolutely love campering; no doubt at all that last year's Euro trip was or best ever holiday (and that includes doing five months in Oz and NZ) and we hope to repeat the fun this year - we're quite well suited to it as a family - the kids are still small and sleep next to each other "upstairs" no problem (in fact they sleep better up there than at home!), we don't mind campsite facilities (some turn their noses up at "basic" toilets, showers, etc) or a bit of light roughing it and are very outdoorsy.

The point about the price hikes is a good one too - that £62k 4Motion (ex demo!) made my jaw drop but when I looked at the spec, it only really had xenons and leather above ours. That's £11k more (using RRP) for an ex demo compared to an unused new model in 2011, or £17k more than we paid for a pre-reg, delivery miler - crazy!!

Anyway I'm erring towards keeping it now…! :thumb

Also when you look at cost to replace if you had a big repair bill in may only equate to 2 or 3 months HP keep it and enjoy

I've thought about changing to a DSG Beach next year when my warranty is up. But I like it too much, I haven't got a great spec but I've got a very individual Beach.

One advantage of the Beach is we've never felt compelled to camp, so it's versatility pays dividends for us.

I am also fortunate to own mine with no finance, so changing it would probably mean taking out finance which seems crazy.

I'm with Mark on the Multivan front, a late T4 Multivan is biting me at the moment, it's on Just Westys. So if I have up Betty, i would really miss her.

James

James - yours is a bit special; hang onto it!

Don't owe anything on ours either, it's not depreciating too much (although I bet a dealer would offer about four quid for it), it's not too bad to tax and insure and it almost doesn't need servicing (still can't get my head around the HUGE service intervals!). And the price increases really are quite frightening.

Think we'll just mentally set aside a bit of breakdown funding, keep it tip top and hope nothing throws a fit.

Well that's how I'm thinking right now anyway!

Better the devil you know, just extend the warranty with VW, and hang onto it :thumb

Our little "other" car makes me grin but in a very different (often slightly scared) way… :lol:

KernowLad said:
Our little "other" car makes me grin but in a very different (often slightly scared) way… :lol:

I know what you mean we pick our white with red leather manual up in 2 weeks time ordered 3 weeks ago ,gonna be here probably before our California (ordered in December) !! IMO it is the modern day version of a z3 m-coupe which I was lucky enough to run back in the late 90's and never got over. It was your various references to this vehicle that got our attention....anyway enough of that and back to the California I think that you should extend the warranty and stick with it,what can you replace it with and still get the same amount of spontaneous enjoyment (excluding motorboat ) for the price ? :lol:

Nice one on the "other car" (I've got myself into trouble mentioning that brand on here...!); you'll love it!

And agreed. I think I will now shut up.

One of the keys to keeping T5 Cali's when they are out of warranty seems to be the lack of non-franchise expertise. I don't think T5 Cali's are particularly unreliable, but they seem so complicated that everyone seems to have to go to a main dealer to get them fixed (at £silly / hour).

I doubt there are many of us T4 boys that feel compelled to go to main dealers. I only went for my timing belt because it's done at a specially competitive price and you are sure of genuine parts. Everything else is better handled from independents at 1/3 of the price.

These roof computers / control panels are a case in point. Under warranty it seems to be a £600 replacement yet shopping around on ebay it's £35.

I think the forum could do more to help in this area. Posts from the guy who fixes them for £35 get deleted because he refuses to become a sponsor. You have to ask to who's benefit actions like this are.

If the forum actually helped the independent / cheap repair routes, folks wouldn't have to sell out after 3 years.

The problem with BMW is that in the UK they still have the image of the 1980s......Mr badge man......

Estate Agents Brashness......

Undeserved now as Mr Audi has taken that mantel.........

BerndRos said:
The problem with BMW is that in the UK they still have the image of the 1980s......Mr badge man......

The image did put me off for a long time but they seem to go well and don't break down much. Always amusing to be ultra polite in one and see the shock on people's faces - still plenty of muppets driving them though.

T4WFA - interesting point. I'd hate to pay main dealer prices out of warranty.

BerndRos said:

True....Let's start a BMW respect driver campaign !!! :laugh2

T4WFA said:
One of the keys to keeping T5 Cali's when they are out of warranty seems to be the lack of non-franchise expertise. I don't think T5 Cali's are particularly unreliable, but they seem so complicated that everyone seems to have to go to a main dealer to get them fixed (at £silly / hour).

I doubt there are many of us T4 boys that feel compelled to go to main dealers. I only went for my timing belt because it's done at a specially competitive price and you are sure of genuine parts. Everything else is better handled from independents at 1/3 of the price.

These roof computers / control panels are a case in point. Under warranty it seems to be a £600 replacement yet shopping around on ebay it's £35.

I think the forum could do more to help in this area. Posts from the guy who fixes them for £35 get deleted because he refuses to become a sponsor. You have to ask to who's benefit actions like this are.

If the forum actually helped the independent / cheap repair routes, folks wouldn't have to sell out after 3 years.

Well said. This forum should help us out as much as it can. Most motoring forums allow indies to post without becoming a sponsor. It generates more traffic for the forum.

I think there is a bit of an expectation that as Cali owners have splashed out a lot on a camper, they won't bat an eyelid paying crazy servicing/repair rates.

A recent fix on my now departed BMW (snapped tracking bolt) that was rather urgent was quoted at £500 (nearly £300 just for wheel alignment!!); I managed to find the part (£18) and get it fitted by a tyre/wheel fitter of decent repute for…. £80 INCLUDING the part :shocked

When you've had a main VW dealer charge £200 for a spare key then another £200 for a very minor service (basically an oil change) and THEN trash your paint by "washing" it with what appeared to be a witches broom, confidence in main dealers can be rather dented.

KernowLad said:
THEN trash your paint by "washing" it with what appeared to be a witches broom, confidence in main dealers can be rather dented.

Arghhh... Don't even get me started on this!!!!

A pet hate of mine, I always instruct them not to clean under any circumstances... One garage on one of my non-VW's has done it twice and hologrammed the entire paintwork... Paid for a machine polish the first time, they're now arguing about the 2nd time.

SimplyDubs said:
KernowLad said:
THEN trash your paint by "washing" it with what appeared to be a witches broom, confidence in main dealers can be rather dented.

Arghhh... Don't even get me started on this!!!!

A pet hate of mine, I always instruct them not to clean under any circumstances... One garage on one of my non-VW's has done it twice and hologrammed the entire paintwork... Paid for a machine polish the first time, they're now arguing about the 2nd time.

I managed to get a machine polish out of them but I had to fight hard (and found out the planned "polish" was just a bonnet polish using heavy filler content low rent polish… I got it changed to a full stage 1 machine polish!). Because the service was so short, I didn't think they'd "wash" it :headbang

Back