Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damaged drivers wing mirror

Alan Chaplin

Alan Chaplin

Glasgow Al!
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, smashed my T6.1 drivers wing mirror today in a too near pass! I just wondered if anyone else had been along this road recently and had any tips, as I’m going to try and avoid an insurance claim.

Search of Tapatalk threads on my proved fruitless.

Top plastic, bottom plastic and glass all damaged or gone !

Thanks

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had this issue a few years ago on T6, believe no change to the wing mirrors on 6.1.
Easy fix as long as the internals aren’t damaged and costs reasonable. More info on parts etc. here:

Check out Ebay, as long as it is just the covers that have gone it won't be too expensive. You may save a bit by buying the genuine accessory carbon fibre covers rather than needing the covers sprayed.

Try Vanstyle,
they do the OEM lower shell
+ they sell coloured upper shells, carbon fibre etc.

primed OEM upper covers available fairly cheaply, cost to spray should be approx £70

you may well need a new bezel as well by the sounds of it

Wow! Thank you so much for this great info already! Had a closer look and hopefully the core and wiring all look intact, so it is the two plastic and glass pieces. The links are brilliant so thank you all !

I ripped off my bmw i3 wing mirror parking, with the Cali bike rack. The local Halfords garage did a total hack job, cutting wires In the door and leaving the new one not fitted. Had to get rescued by bmw garage but got most of the costs back from Halfords
So don’t go there!!

My offside got swiped by a bus near Thurso. The glass was hanging out but for the next three months I managed to keep going by just pushing it back in each time. Then I scraped both mirrors going through a southern French "Historic Centre" where the streets were made for skinny horses, not fat Cali's.

Had both repaired and it was stupidly cheap considering it was a main dealer, SMG, that did the work.

My offside mirror got smashed by someone in a hire van in 2019.
The VW price for the housing was £183.00 colour coded Reflex Silver, and the heated mirror was £44.00 from my local VW dealership. That mirror housing includes a radio aerial under the back.

I had it fitted due to time constraints, but a competent handyperson can do it. You will need to remove the interior trim of the door though. The total cost was £362 including labour and VAT.

The mechanic left a decent screwdriver on the floor, so it wasn't all bad!

Alan

My original VW van dealer has quoted £106 plus vat for all three parts. (Top plastic, bottom plastic and mirror) Given I couldn’t get comfort that other places even recognised the lane changing fitting in the mirror, I’ve went for this. Painting extra but I’ve a trusted local coach works whom I’ll use. £200 tops I think all in, but nine years no claims makes it a no brainier. Thanks again for all the info and ideas

Crumbs I had this on Thursday. Builder van speeding down a country road. I'm not sure he could stop but if he did he only slowed from > 70mph to around 40mph. Knocked the mirror out but I popped it back in. A bit of compound and all gone. Luckily he stopped a hundred metres down the road because I wasnt happy with his driving and would have had a word. (No word of a lie the front of the Cali was 10ft from a passing place and I was near enough stopped waiting for the impact)

Collected and fitted the parts today. It was actually £106 inclusive of VAT (£88), so that was fair I thought. Really grateful to get the mirror back, as driving (with a bike rack and bike etc) felt really blind ! Thanks again for everyones contribution.

Back