Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

:shocked

Pretty sure VB Air won't be that far off. Good to know

I previously used an ARB compressor and they are really nice. This is superior, but the hose he provides is pretty basic. I wanted to continue to use my ARB coiled hose and guage and had to buy an adaptor to make it work. Very pleased as the ARB hose and guage are premium kit and can be stowed away quickly without fiddling with a 5 meter non coiled hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s another reason to get air suspension, I’m still struggling to justify the £6000+ that VB costs over here but I’m nudging ever closer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should do a rating of all the mods I did. I can say for certain that air suspension is at the top of that list. I plan on keeping the van until it dies and the benefits for me were worth it.

Auto level quickly
Weight the van per axle with the push of a button (not available with VB, only Goldschmidt)
And use as an air compressor for my tyres quickly, inflating SUP’s, etc. Funny to watch as people are furiously pumping away inflating their SuP’s and I have mine done in less than 30 seconds.

It's a pricy bit of kit for sure. The reason I went for it is that without it I could not fit the van in my garage, and I did not want to permanently lower my van.

One other benefit I forgot to mention is the ability to also use an air pistol attachment. Awesome when it comes time to remove leaves, dust, or simply water from wheels and crevices after washing.

I previously used an ARB compressor and they are really nice. This is superior, but the hose he provides is pretty basic. I wanted to continue to use my ARB coiled hose and guage and had to buy an adaptor to make it work. Very pleased as the ARB hose and guage are premium kit and can be stowed away quickly without fiddling with a 5 meter non coiled hose.

I have an ARB compressor that used to live in my Landy. It’s a great bit of kit but bulky so I carry a smaller one in the van for everyday use. I did look into getting the ARB mounted under the bonnet but there just isn’t room. Using the compressor for the air suspension as an inflator is a really neat solution and I love the idea of using it for inflating SUP’s too.

If I do ever press the button I’ll be asking you where you got the converter to use the ARB hose from!

I have an ARB compressor that used to live in my Landy. It’s a great bit of kit but bulky so I carry a smaller one in the van for everyday use. I did look into getting the ARB mounted under the bonnet but there just isn’t room. Using the compressor for the air suspension as an inflator is a really neat solution and I love the idea of using it for inflating SUP’s too.

If I do ever press the button I’ll be asking you where you got the converter to use the ARB hose from!

I just went to a local hardware DIY shops that specializes in air tools. They sorted me out! Was only like 5 CHF too.

Hess offers a mount for under the bonnet with the single ARB compressor. Maybe even the dual. So if you don’t want to fully splurge on air suspension that could work. But if you have or want a snorkel (like me) then it’s not possible due to the extra size of kit for that under the bonnet.

I should do a rating of all the mods I did. I can say for certain that air suspension is at the top of that list. I plan on keeping the van until it dies and the benefits for me were worth it.

Auto level quickly
Weight the van per axle with the push of a button (not available with VB, only Goldschmidt)
And use as an air compressor for my tyres quickly, inflating SUP’s, etc. Funny to watch as people are furiously pumping away inflating their SuP’s and I have mine done in less than 30 seconds.

My current top five would be

1. Bilstein suspension/lift
2. Lazer lights
3. Monotube wheels/AT’s
4. Solar
5. Roof rack

I suspect if I ever did go for air suspension that would be the new #1!

My current top five would be

1. Bilstein suspension/lift
2. Lazer lights
3. Monotube wheels/AT’s
4. Solar
5. Roof rack

I suspect if I ever did go for air suspension that would be the new #1!

I'd drop the solar and get LiPo and DC-DC charger first. You can easily add external solar for fairly cheap if required on short notice.

Hess offers a mount for under the bonnet with the single ARB compressor. Maybe even the dual. So if you don’t want to fully splurge on air suspension that could work. But if you have or want a snorkel (like me) then it’s not possible due to the extra size of kit for that under the bonnet.

I don’t have a snorkel but I do have a raised air intake which takes up a lot of available space.

Auto level quickly

My one question would also be:
Is the day to day ride improved over springs and shocks?
I ran a brand new Velar D300 on air and the ride was utterly sublime.
Like on another level to anything I have ever driven.
Hard under acceleration and soft and wafts on the M-Way.
Is the the GoldShcmidt like that ?

My one question would also be:
Is the day to day ride improved over springs and shocks?
I ran a brand new Velar D300 on air and the ride was utterly sublime.
Like on another level to anything I have ever driven.
Hard under acceleration and soft and wafts on the M-Way.
Is the the GoldShcmidt like that ?
I've had the air suspension since I picked up the van so can't compare to stock but it is a very comfortable ride. Don't even need stronger anti-roll bars either as the van barely leans in corners. And mine is always between 3.2-3.5 tons and 2.85 meters high when cruising in medium lift height!

Hi there, it’s a bit rainy today and likely the next days but I’d be happy to take a photo for you once things clear up. Essentially setup like this…. I am now using 2*100 watt BougeRV CIGS panels. These are excellent to deal with potential shading as they have 48 bypass diodes per panel.

The rear panel is side to side with the edge against the front roof vent.

The front panel is front to back with the rear edge against the front roof vent.

Both panels are connected in parallel to further help with any potential shading between panels.

Hi, did you manage to get a photo? They are deciding on best setup/position. Did yours go in the dipped section between the roof lights, or, on a raised frame.

62d35915-b524-4d2e-a23a-796a99241e74.jpeg03914ca2-cc5c-493b-ad45-a7901bc6d042.jpeg

Hi, did you manage to get a photo? They are deciding on best setup/position. Did yours go in the dipped section between the roof lights, or, on a raised frame.

View attachment 120214View attachment 120215

Side to side with one in front of the front hood and the other behind the front hood with brackets to brace it. Depends on what panels they use. Sorry haven’t taken a photo yet and not near the van and have my two kids with me at the park.