Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Creaky steering

Walrus

Walrus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
First, I have searched so I know a few others have suffered. It sounds as though the creaks from my steering at low speeds might be related to a badly lubricated universal joint. I would like to know whether this is common and, more importantly, is it a warranty issue or an easy DIY job? It can't be wear and tear in a van which has only done 10k miles. Finally, is there any other possible explanation and should I be worried? Thanks.

If you are still within warranty you should check with your dealer, as there is a modified steering column which dealt with with this problem. My 2012 Cali had noticeable juddering through the steering wheel especially in damp conditions, but the replacement (fitted in 2015) cured it completely.

If you are still within warranty you should check with your dealer, as there is a modified steering column which dealt with with this problem. My 2012 Cali had noticeable juddering through the steering wheel especially in damp conditions, but the replacement (fitted in 2015) cured it completely.

That's interesting, thank you. That sounds a bit more dramatic than my gentle creakiness but I will look into that.

Back