Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattles, creaks & squeaks !

Stewbie

Stewbie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I have managed to eliminate/reduce most rattles, creaks and squeaks from inside my van, but one is proving surprisingly difficult to solve, so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I have a Stoplock steering wheel lock, and haven't been able to find a place to store it securely where it doesn't rattle or, given its weight, move around when driving. I do manage to silence it when the boot is fully loaded (camping) as it's then wedged in, but for 'normal' day-to-day driving it takes on a life of its' own !

Has anyone else found a solution ?

I'm sure I'm not the only one driven mad by rattles, etc. Is there a thread of advice relating to (un)common problems/solutions in general, or is this the start of one ?

Stoplock.jpg

I have managed to eliminate/reduce most rattles, creaks and squeaks from inside my van, but one is proving surprisingly difficult to solve, so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I have a Stoplock steering wheel lock, and haven't been able to find a place to store it securely where it doesn't rattle or, given its weight, move around when driving. I do manage to silence it when the boot is fully loaded (camping) as it's then wedged in, but for 'normal' day-to-day driving it takes on a life of its' own !

I'm sure I'm not the only one driven mad by rattles, etc. Is there a thread of advice relating to (un)common problems/solutions in general, or is this the start of one ?

View attachment 109551
I have gone for a different (quieter) steering lock solution.

I bought an ABUS 1.7m heavy bike chain (special order at that length, £170) key matched to my existing ebike locks. At that length it perfectly winds around the brake pedal once and then the steering wheel. The chain rolls/folds into a padded £10 GoPro case which slips under the driving seat. The chain can secondly be used on the my Riese & Müller eBike (which is ABUS key matched as above). I added to the the GoPro case a KlickFix so that the chain can be clicked to the front of the bike.

I dare say an angle grinder could get through the chain, but ditto a normal steering lock. The heavy ABUS hardened steel is probably about as resilient at can be found.

There is quite a good California time YouTube video on rattles. My worst was in the steering column. After two months or annoyance my wife said why not give the steering column a good hard in and out thump in the adjustment mechanism. Solved.

Last edited:

View attachment 109551
Where is the key for the StopLock kept? Probably with or close to the vehicle keys.
Unlike vehicles of old the California has a steering lock and an electronic immobiliser, neither of which can be easily overcome without removing the ignition key/steering lock or by hot wiring the ignition, which will not work without the key remote immobiliser.
So the only way of stealing the vehicle is by getting hold of the keys which will give the thief access to the Stoplock key as well.
The additional steering lock will not stop someone using a brick to gain entry via a window.
If the thief turns up with a low loader to take the vehicle without the keys then the Stoplock will not stop them.
Obviously a highly visible steering lock has a psychological benefit to the owner, but in practice has little if any practical use.
Keeping the keys safe, the vehicle locked correctly will prevent normal theft of the vehicle, nothing will stop theft from the vehicle, and nothing will stop a professional crime gang taking the vehicle given enough time.

My Stoplock sits quietly between the seats but I do have a seat cover (as supplied by garages to keep mechanics overall mess of) on the floor under it.

I have gone for a different (quieter) steering lock solution.

I bought an ABUS 1.7m heavy bike chain (special order at that length, £170) key matched to my existing ebike locks. At that length it perfectly winds around the brake pedal once and then the steering wheel. The chain rolls/folds into a padded £10 GoPro case which slips under the driving seat. The chain can secondly be used on the my Riese & Müller eBike (which is ABUS key matched as above). I added to the the GoPro case a KlickFix so that the chain can be clicked to the front of the bike.

I dare say an angle grinder could get through the chain, but ditto a normal steering lock. The heavy ABUS hardened steel is probably about as resilient at can be found.

There is quite a good California time YouTube video on rattles. My worst was in the steering column. After two months or annoyance my wife said which not give the steering column a good hard in and out thump in the adjustment mechanism. Solved.
Great solution !
Yes, the CaliforniaTime video did help me to solve some of the noises - most particularly the squeaky front seats

Where is the key for the StopLock kept? Probably with or close to the vehicle keys.
Unlike vehicles of old the California has a steering lock and an electronic immobiliser, neither of which can be easily overcome without removing the ignition key/steering lock or by hot wiring the ignition, which will not work without the key remote immobiliser.
So the only way of stealing the vehicle is by getting hold of the keys which will give the thief access to the Stoplock key as well.
The additional steering lock will not stop someone using a brick to gain entry via a window.
If the thief turns up with a low loader to take the vehicle without the keys then the Stoplock will not stop them.
Obviously a highly visible steering lock has a psychological benefit to the owner, but in practice has little if any practical use.
Keeping the keys safe, the vehicle locked correctly will prevent normal theft of the vehicle, nothing will stop theft from the vehicle, and nothing will stop a professional crime gang taking the vehicle given enough time.
I agree to a large extent about the in-built protections, @WelshGas. The steering lock is mainly used when parking in places I'm either not familiar with, or are remote (e.g. woodland car parks). In that instance the key is with me, half way up a mountainside. My thought process is that it acts as a visible deterrant to any scrote who may be looking for (what they consider to be) easy pickings.
Of course, any vehicle is vulnerable to a brick through a window

Last edited:
I agree to a large extent about the in-built protections, WelshGas. The steering lock is mainly used when parking in places I'm either not familiar with, or are remote (e.g. woodland car parks). In that instance the key is with me, half way up a mountainside. My thought process is that it acts as a visible deterrant to any scrote who may be looking for (what they consider to be) easy pickings.
@WelshGas makes good points, but in defence of my ABUS approach: (i) I always keep that key separate to my and my wife’s key fob so that if one of the latter is stolen (most of us have been careless with car keys at some point) some protection remains; (ii) my approach being uncommon (if not relatively unique) may well lead a potential thief to assume (perhaps correctly) that I have other unexpected tricks so that he/they pass my car by.

I agree to a large extent about the in-built protections, @WelshGas. The steering lock is mainly used when parking in places I'm either not familiar with, or are remote (e.g. woodland car parks). In that instance the key is with me, half way up a mountainside. My thought process is that it acts as a visible deterrant to any scrote who may be looking for (what they consider to be) easy pickings.
An additional hidden brick protection is interior window film (tint) and yes you can get front door light tint film to suit which still meets legal light levels.

Saw one of those Police video's where they were thwarted by window film using their normal smash the drivers window to get access to the ignition key and driver.

Still wouldn't stop a determined thief but then nothing does.

We had a Fiat Abarth 595 stolen off the drive on Friday night. All clearly captured on CCTV, getting in the door took a couple of minutes, looks like a hole was cut in the door panel to deactivate the deadlocks, once inside the steering lock like the one you use took literally a couple of seconds to break open, cars built in steering lock was another couple of seconds & starting the car with a computer plugged into the diagnostic socket another 10 seconds or so.

That steering lock might put off a casual thief but if they know enough to get past the deadlocks etc they will certainly know how to open that.

While I'm at it, a huge thumbs down to Bedfordshire plod, 4k video recordings from 4 sources, clear pictures available in our corner shop of the scrotes transport complete with registration number, faces before hoodies were pulled up etc but too much effort to send anyone round to view video or request the shop releases the video to them. Just issue a crime number, job done after all its only a £20k motor.

For a cali the acoustic pack looks like a reasonable investment - gives you laminated glass on the front side windows so pretty brick resistant!

While I'm at it, a huge thumbs down to Bedfordshire plod, 4k video recordings from 4 sources, clear pictures available in our corner shop of the scrotes transport complete with registration number, faces before hoodies were pulled up etc but too much effort to send anyone round to view video or request the shop releases the video to them. Just issue a crime number, job done after all its only a £20k motor.

If you don't kick plod's arse you'll pretty soon be better off in Mogadishu where you can at least defend your own property.

If you don't kick plod's arse you'll pretty soon be better off in Mogadishu where you can at least defend your own property.

It's been reported & someone spoken to, just obviously far too busy sitting in their vans eating donuts.

Spotted 2 sitting there this morning within 50 yards of the shop, they are usually there at 6th form college entry & departure times.

We are in a very small Cul-de-sac & the only way in & out even for pedestrians is past the shop.

It's been reported & someone spoken to, just obviously far too busy sitting in their vans eating donuts.

Spotted 2 sitting there this morning within 50 yards of the shop, they are usually there at 6th form college entry & departure times.

We are in a very small Cul-de-sac & the only way in & out even for pedestrians is past the shop.

My sympathies, with plod, with the car with everything. Without the rule of law it's a miserable existence.

@WelshGas has the best advice I think.

Fwiw I say make sure you have bomb proof insurance, gaps and taps included and then don’t give it a thought.

It’s a lump of replaceable metal and there is very little that can be done if someone really wants to steal it.

View attachment 109551
I stick the yellow bit under the passenger seat, it misses all the wires and fuses and relays and sits against the side of the metal bit nearest the handbrake side. (The handbrake being next to the drivers seat base)
I’ll take a pic when I can get off my sick LaFuma chair / bed :thumb

@andyinluton Central Beds has a police force? Never seen a single one of them where we live. They did apparently turn up though for a drive pass of the lad who killed himself on an electric bike last week to wave at all the toads on stolen mopeds and motorbikes.

@Stewbie best way to stop it rattling is to take it off and safely and environmentally throw it in the bin. You’ll never hear it again.

I put our Stoploc Pro between the drivers door pillar and the seat, lock end rearwards. It doesn’t rattle and is jammed in so it won’t hurt anyone in an accident. Slide it down from above the arm rest, with the locking mechanism just behind.
I can send a pic if you need.

I put our Stoploc Pro between the drivers door pillar and the seat, lock end rearwards. It doesn’t rattle and is jammed in so it won’t hurt anyone in an accident. Slide it down from above the arm rest, with the locking mechanism just behind.
I can send a pic if you need.
I'd be grateful for a pic, if you don't mind. Thank you :)

I stick the yellow bit under the passenger seat, it misses all the wires and fuses and relays and sits against the side of the metal bit nearest the handbrake side. (The handbrake being next to the drivers seat base)
I’ll take a pic when I can get off my sick LaFuma chair / bed :thumb
A pic would be much appreciated - thank you :)

We had a Fiat Abarth 595 stolen off the drive on Friday night. All clearly captured on CCTV, getting in the door took a couple of minutes, looks like a hole was cut in the door panel to deactivate the deadlocks, once inside the steering lock like the one you use took literally a couple of seconds to break open, cars built in steering lock was another couple of seconds & starting the car with a computer plugged into the diagnostic socket another 10 seconds or so.

That steering lock might put off a casual thief but if they know enough to get past the deadlocks etc they will certainly know how to open that.

For a cali the acoustic pack looks like a reasonable investment - gives you laminated glass on the front side windows so pretty brick resistant!
Was your Stoplock the snap shut basic model or the key locking Pro version?

Was your Stoplock the snap shut basic model or the key locking Pro version?
It was put on using a key I know that much, I don't have full details as its was my sons Gfs car.