Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant warning light twice recently.

Maxx

Maxx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

I have a 2018 Beach 150 DSG, at around 26k miles, it’s my daily driver.

About a month ago the coolant warning light came on (amber). Checked the level and it was a little below minimum when cold. Topped it up, which took about 500ml.

So today, just over a month later, the red flashing waning light came on a few moments after I started the engine for the first time in a week (been away). Turned engine off and checked level and again it was below the minimum again.

Anyone had a similar issue?

I guess the best thing is to take it in and get it pressure tested.

Thanks.

Apart from head gasket, which doesn’t seem to be a regular issue, possibles:

Have you had the water pump changed yet ? Edit ; Visual check for leaks

suggest looking into threads regarding EGR leaks.

presure test should throw up a loss of fluid but you need then to know where to start looking.
be aware VW will start replacing parts at your cost, checking the EGR by removing the rear EGR pipe should be part of any coherent check - (coolant in the EGR valve body)
hope this help a bit

edit: if EGR failure push for good will presuming no warranty

please report back to help others

Last edited:
Apart from head gasket, which doesn’t seem to be a regular issue, possibles:

Have you had the water pump changed yet ? Edit ; Visual check for leaks

suggest looking into threads regarding EGR leaks.

presure test should throw up a loss of fluid but you need then to know where to start looking.
be aware VW will start replacing parts at your cost, checking the EGR by removing the rear EGR pipe should be part of any coherent check - (coolant in the EGR valve body)
hope this help a bit

edit: if EGR failure push for good will presuming no warranty

please report back to help others
Thanks for the reply and helpful information.

It’s not had the water pump changed yet. Have done visual inspection and no evidence of leak that I can see.

I’m currently out of warranty, although I believe the premium 2 year service plan does include a warranty extension for the period of the plan.

I’ve read a few of the threads around similar symptoms/EGR issues…rather daunting experiences and often outcomes!

Not a Cali but an Audi. We had the same issue with an Audi TT my other half has. It turned out to be the water pump. Only problem was there was 1 of 3 it could have been. Of cause it was the most expensive one. One thing she noticed was the engine fan running all the time trying it’s best to cool the engine down. Could have been a lot worse if she had driven for long journeys………

Thanks for the reply and helpful information.

It’s not had the water pump changed yet. Have done visual inspection and no evidence of leak that I can see.

I’m currently out of warranty, although I believe the premium 2 year service plan does include a warranty extension for the period of the plan.

I’ve read a few of the threads around similar symptoms/EGR issues…rather daunting experiences and often outcomes!
Check the oil level daily to check it does not increase.
An increase in oil level could be due to coolant entering the engine.

All in is a possibility, you would need to wait 30 day from inception to make a claim under the All in !

Back