Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Ocean (2022) - “Bleeding Coolant” warning

T

tweeks71

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Picked up my VW after a software update - got a bleeding, coolant warning, see photo below. The next time I started the car got a red warning prompting me to check the coolant level, which I did. I noticed the coolant level was below minimum. I topped up with the correct: (.8 of a litre)..

Red warning light has now gone, but the bleeding coolant warning remains each time I start the van. Even after a 10 mile drive.

pictures also show the level before and after the refill.

Any ideas?

0ADD71B2-AF38-48EA-A618-BC6F7CF8D2FD.jpegB089241F-A997-4A8D-9E42-B2189BA62CEA.jpeg72A21DA8-9AE6-4F3E-BD5A-43DBB90852DE.jpegB3D58E32-AC03-493E-B3E8-32EE4C4202DE.jpeg

VW MANUAL said:
The vehicle must not be moved if large quantities of coolant have been lost. Failure to observe this can lead to engine damage.

Work on the cooling system should always be carried out by a correspondingly qualified workshop. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles recommends a Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles dealership for this.

The cooling system can be topped up in an emergency if it is not possible to visit a correspondingly qualified workshop.

This description of manual filling applies only to the engine codes DMZA, DNAA, DNAB and DNAC.

You can find information abut the engine code here Type plate.

Requirements when filling the cooling system

The vehicle must be stopped on a firm and level surface.

The engine must have cooled down Coolant.

The cooling system is not damaged (water loss).

A tool that is not included in the vehicle toolkit.

A sufficient quantity of coolant is available, in an emergency water filtered through a clean cloth.

Emergency top-up of the cooling system

The actions should only be carried out in the specified order:

Open the bonnet In the engine compartment

Open the coolant expansion tank.

Fill the cooling system up to the upper seam on the coolant expansion tank until the coolant level remains constant Coolant.

Wait around 5 minutes and add more coolant if necessary.

Switch on the ignition.

The automatic coolant bleeding process begins . This process takes around 5 minutes.

When automatic coolant bleeding is complete, refill the coolant up to the seam on the coolant expansion tank Coolant.

Start the engine and switch off the air conditioning system Heating, ventilation and cooling.

Drive the vehicle at an engine speed above 2,000 rpm for around 30 minutes to get the engine to operating temperature

Switch off the vehicle and allow it to cool down. Once it has done so, adjust the coolant level to around 3 cm above the upper marking. Set the air conditioning system to your preferred temperature.

Have the engine cooling system checked, repaired and filled with engine coolant of the correct specification by a correspondingly qualified workshop immediately. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles recommends a Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles dealership for this.

Try and find the leak if you can. Check for mayo in the oil system.

We had the low coolant warning a few weeks after delivery. Bought some VW fluid straight away from the garage and topped up. Was no leak, likely under filled at factory or there was an air pocket when filling. Thankfully been good ever since as when I read the manual the bleeding issue looked a mare. Did you get a low coolant warning before it went straight to this?

Thanks all (obviously I did read the manual first).

The order of the warnings were as follows:

Bleeding coolant.
Please check coolant level (red warning).

The level was low, so I topped it up
Let it on idol, then went for a drive
Level still looks good

Getting the bleeding coolant warning every time I turn ignition on, despite the level looking good

Thanks all (obviously I did read the manual first).

The order of the warnings were as follows:

Bleeding coolant.
Please check coolant level (red warning).

The level was low, so I topped it up
Let it on idol, then went for a drive
Level still looks good

Getting the bleeding coolant warning every time I turn ignition on, despite the level looking good
My reading of the manual is that bleeding coolant is a procedure you need to follow not a warning.

Has following the procedure got rid of the prompt?

I neglected to turn the air-conditioning off when I went for my drive and the warning still remains. I will turn the air-conditioning and heating off for my next drive to see if there’s any change.

I did contact my local VW service centre, and they said as long as the coolant level is correct- the message I’m getting“bleeding coolant“ is just a prompt telling me what the car is doing and not a warning, so I feel reassured. VW said if the prompt persists to bring the van in to be looked at.

Unfortunately the manual is vw speak but if repeating I'd start from step one again and let it do it's thing for at least ten minutes with the bonnet open lid off the reservoir and ignition on.

The vehicle has a bonnet open sensor which it uses to reset various bits and pieces including oil level warnings. Don't try and out think it.

Interesting - good to know thanks

Will re-post when issue resolved - thank you.

Unfortunately the manual is vw speak but if repeating I'd start from step one again and let it do it's thing for at least ten minutes with the bonnet open lid off the reservoir and ignition on.

The vehicle has a bonnet open sensor which it uses to reset various bits and pieces including oil level warnings. Don't try and out think it.
Just to check..... When you (and the manual) say 'ignition on' I'm assuming you DONT mean engine running?

Just to check..... When you (and the manual) say 'ignition on' I'm assuming you DONT mean engine running?
Yes, because later on they talk about starting the engine. So I assume they want ignition on bonnet open and coolant reservoir open and engine off.

Thanks again (for the clarification)…

Here’s the update & resolution (I hope).

1st up, the van developed another warning… a yellow triangle “Only leave vehicle in P. Please visit workshop”

I contacted VW assist, the AA attended and were confused - they couldn’t clear this warning.

I had the van booked into SMG Tonbridge as a result of the AA visit.

I then followed the ‘bleeding procedure’ correctly.
Including bonnet up and ignition on.

2 hours later I drove home - both the new yellow “ P” warning and the original white “bleeding” message have now gone.

I visited VW SMG this morning & gave them the whole story. The concurred that the bonnet/ignition Sequence can sometimes clear any errors that are not currently an issue.

VW have the issue on record - should I get problems going forward.

Thanks all for your interest and help with this….

Merry Xmas

Tony

Thank you for the helpful information in this thread. I had a low coolant error in my 3 month old Beach this week. After topping up I noticed the " bleeding coolant" message flash up when starting the van. After reading this thread I sat with the ignition on ( engine off) for around 5 mins and this was enough to clear the message for us . We could hear the system doing its thing and the bleeding coolant message cleared once it was done.

That’s really interesting and great to hear. Thank you.

Back