Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Converting from 2 to 3 seater Beach

S

superchargedpolo

VIP Member
I’m trying to help a friend of mine who wants to buy a 3 seater Beach.
We have seen a really nice 2 seater version but a 3 seater is a must.

I have a couple of questions relating to the differences:

Do all beaches have 4 floor rails? So the 3 seater will swap easily with the 2 seater.
Does the 3 seater, when reclined to the bed position, sit higher than the 2 seater?
Does the cushion board at the back come in different heights to accommodate this difference? Is it adjustable or set to a specific height?
Anything else I need to consider when changing from a 2 seater set up to the 3 seater bench.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance
Craig

Not sure about the rails my 3 seater has 4 you are correct the 3 seater is higher and so is the multiflex board so you will need both the 3 seater multiflex board also folds down for ajustment

Yes, it is higher so you cannot sit up in a 3 seater bed when roof is down, and also has more curves so not as comfy as a 2 seat bed unless you get a topper.
You'll Loose storage with a 3 seater bed as side of a 2 seat bench has a storage cupboard.
If your friend needs 3 seats, you can just buy a extra single seat for the rear on a 2 seater but if they want more, then a 3 seater plus more single chairs (i believe 2 more can be fitted).

2 seater Beaches do have the 4 floor rails. The multiflex board on the 2 seater is indeed lower (and less flexible). So to change from 2 to 3 seater you would need both the bench seat and a new multiflex. Would imagine there is a ready market for the 2 seater bench with converters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is higher so you cannot sit up in a 3 seater bed when roof is down, and also has more curves so not as comfy as a 2 seat bed unless you get a topper.
You'll Loose storage with a 3 seater bed as side of a 2 seat bench has a storage cupboard.
If your friend needs 3 seats, you can just buy a extra single seat for the rear on a 2 seater but if they want more, then a 3 seater plus more single chairs (i believe 2 more can be fitted).
...........sorry meant it is higher (when a bed) you cannot sit up in a 3 seater bed when roof is down

An old chestnut (2 vs 3) but If you really want to downgrade ;) to a 3 seater (ie to carry people) then go for it but if not the 2 seater is a much more suitable camping vehicle and much more flexible for sure. It's very easy to make a replacement hinged three part flexible Multiflex board for the 2 seater.

Contact Colin at Oxford T5 (he's super knowledgeable and helpful) - the 2 seater benches are in much more demand than 3 so you're in the right place.

See here too:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/swapping-two-seater-bench-for-three-seater.1699/

I’m trying to help a friend of mine who wants to buy a 3 seater Beach.
We have seen a really nice 2 seater version but a 3 seater is a must.

I have a couple of questions relating to the differences:

Do all beaches have 4 floor rails? So the 3 seater will swap easily with the 2 seater.
Does the 3 seater, when reclined to the bed position, sit higher than the 2 seater?
Does the cushion board at the back come in different heights to accommodate this difference? Is it adjustable or set to a specific height?
Anything else I need to consider when changing from a 2 seater set up to the 3 seater bench.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance
Craig
Hello Craig,

Do all beaches have 4 floor rails? Yes

So the 3 seater will swap easily with the 2 seater. Yes, but not that easily as the three seater bench is large and heavy. Apparently it will only come out through the side door.

Does the 3 seater, when reclined to the bed position, sit higher than the 2 seater? Yes. It gives you less headroom but a much more practical load area and IMO is the better compromise.

Does the cushion board at the back come in different heights to accommodate this difference? Yes. The Multiflex board is higher in the three seater version and unlike the two seater Multiflex, has a transversal hinged drop down section at the front end. The higher Multiflex deck makes for a much more practical storage space beneath and the hinged section allows for greater flexibility with the seating positions. Two seater bench owners have said that some fridge/freezers and portable toilets don't fit under the two seat Multiflex board. Some have also said that it's neither multi anything nor flexible.

Is it adjustable or set to a specific height? No. Both versions are a fixed height.

Anything else I need to consider when changing from a 2 seater set up to the 3 seater bench? There are only three issues:

1. Storage. Changing to a three seater bench will mean different storage arrangements. You'll lose the large slide out under bench drawer but gain three much smaller under bench compartments each containing a storage tray. You'll also lose the ability to fit the large optional storage box that runs along the N/S of the van and forms part of the bed base on the two seater version.

2. Headroom. Most adults would have sufficient headroom to sit on the two seater bench when in bed mode and with either the roof closed or the upstairs bed in the down position. This is not the case with the three seater bench in bed mode. As the three seater bench in bed mode is higher off the floor, the corresponding headroom is less. Therefore you either have to lie down, sit crouched over or raise the roof and upper bed.

3. Bed Comfort. The two seater bench is basically the same unit as in the SE/Ocean albeit with some minor differences. It provides a very flat sleeping surface and when used in combination with the londitudinal storage box and Multiflex board forms a superb king sized bed. The combination of the three seater bench and it's Multiflex provides the same huge king sized bed. However, because the three seater bench is the same unit as used the Caravelle and designed mainly for passenger carrying it is more contoured for sitting comfort. Therefore when folded down into bed mode it forms an uncomfortable undulating surface which IMO is not that suitable for a bed. VW get round this problem by offering the optional Comfort mattress which mirrors the undulations on the underneath and provides a perfectly flat sleeping surface. Personally I wouldn't want to sleep on either version or the SE/Ocean's downstairs bed without the corresponding version of VW Comfort mattress. These mattresses provide a good flat base surface to sleep on but in all versions the bed is still rather hard for many people's liking. That's why the Zonesleep topper mattresses are so popular. They provide a softer breathable top layer which makes all the difference.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Very helpful replies. Thank you.

Hello Craig,

Do all beaches have 4 floor rails? Yes

So the 3 seater will swap easily with the 2 seater. Yes, but not that easily as the three seater bench is large and heavy. Apparently it will only come out through the side door.

Does the 3 seater, when reclined to the bed position, sit higher than the 2 seater? Yes. It gives you less headroom but a much more practical load area and IMO is the better compromise.

Does the cushion board at the back come in different heights to accommodate this difference? Yes. The Multiflex board is higher in the three seater version and unlike the two seater Multiflex, has a transversal hinged drop down section at the front end. The higher Multiflex deck makes for a much more practical storage space beneath and the hinged section allows for greater flexibility with the seating positions. Two seater bench owners have said that some fridge/freezers and portable toilets don't fit under the two seat Multiflex board. Some have also said that it's neither multi anything nor flexible.

Is it adjustable or set to a specific height? No. Both versions are a fixed height.

Anything else I need to consider when changing from a 2 seater set up to the 3 seater bench? There are only three issues:

1. Storage. Changing to a three seater bench will mean different storage arrangements. You'll lose the large slide out under bench drawer but gain three much smaller under bench compartments each containing a storage tray. You'll also lose the ability to fit the large optional storage box that runs along the N/S of the van and forms part of the bed base on the two seater version.

2. Headroom. Most adults would have sufficient headroom to sit on the two seater bench when in bed mode and with either the roof closed or the upstairs bed in the down position. This is not the case with the three seater bench in bed mode. As the three seater bench in bed mode is higher off the floor, the corresponding headroom is less. Therefore you either have to lie down, sit crouched over or raise the roof and upper bed.

3. Bed Comfort. The two seater bench is basically the same unit as in the SE/Ocean albeit with some minor differences. It provides a very flat sleeping surface and when used in combination with the londitudinal storage box and Multiflex board forms a superb king sized bed. The combination of the three seater bench and it's Multiflex provides the same huge king sized bed. However, because the three seater bench is the same unit as used the Caravelle and designed mainly for passenger carrying it is more contoured for sitting comfort. Therefore when folded down into bed mode it forms an uncomfortable undulating surface which IMO is not that suitable for a bed. VW get round this problem by offering the optional Comfort mattress which mirrors the undulations on the underneath and provides a perfectly flat sleeping surface. Personally I wouldn't want to sleep on either version or the SE/Ocean's downstairs bed without the corresponding version of VW Comfort mattress. These mattresses provide a good flat base surface to sleep on but in all versions the bed is still rather hard for many people's liking. That's why the Zonesleep topper mattresses are so popular. They provide a softer breathable top layer which makes all the difference.

I hope that helps.

Now thays why this forum is amazing, people like @Borris and many others go out their way to give brilliant and indepth reponses and share their wisdom like that!

Back