Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Con "fused "

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Forum

My front windscreen washer has stopped working ....you know when you cant hear the motor and you are on the motorway and the wipers still operate three times, causing the salt to be rubbed all over the windscreen making visibility 10 times worse ?
Well first question is

1 Is this a fuse issue? Hope so !!!

2 I have been on a T5 website regarding the fuse system on the vans.....there seem to so many. Anyway I have found out the following information

Hi Forum

My front windscreen washer has stopped working ....you know when you cant hear the motor and you are on the motorway and the wipers still operate three times, causing the salt to be rubbed all over the windscreen making visibility 10 times worse ?
Well first question is

2 I have been on a T5 website regarding the fuse system on the vans.....there seem to so many. Anyway I have found out the following information

Fuse 10 on fuse holder B - SB10
Washer pump switch
Terminal 15
Upper fuse box on centre of dash board

If this info is indeed correct, then are there any spares in the van ( you know like normal cars have ) and if so where are they? Or do I have to order from VW

Sorry its a boring thread, but thanks in anticipation

Martyn

I haven't found any spares, but you should find them in most garages and car shops.
10amp Fuse.

Hi Forum

Well first question is

Fuse 10 on fuse holder B - SB10
Washer pump switch
Terminal 15
Upper fuse box on centre of dash board

If this info is indeed correct, then are there any spares in the van ( you know like normal cars have ) and if so where are they? Or do I have to order from VW

Sorry its a boring thread, but thanks in anticipation

Martyn
Did you know you duplicated your thread?

I haven't found any spares, but you should find them in most garages and car shops.
10amp Fuse.

I found spare fuses in my Cali.....
...becouse i putted them in ....!

Always first thing to do when you get a new verhicle , check out stuff and see what needs to add. Fuses , sparebulbs,spare whiperblades , got it all with me;)

There should be a little pair of tweezer/tong type thing is in the fuse box for pulling them out. No fuses though. VW don't do free things

I found spare fuses in my Cali.....
...becouse i putted them in ....!

Always first thing to do when you get a new verhicle , check out stuff and see what needs to add. Fuses , sparebulbs,spare whiperblades , got it all with me;)
I also have spare fuses but they're not provided by VW as standard.

I was definitely confused by the dealer when I asked them to supply a fuse layout for our van. I was under the impression that given the VIN dealers could pull up the layout and print it off.
"No definitely can't do that sir" On enquiring why not "Health and Safety". Apparently if they supply a layout and
I who have been wiring cars and changing fuses for nearly fifty years change a fuse according to the layout they supplied and it causes problem then they reckon they are liable.
However they are quite willing to sell me fuses in the parts department though.
So. if you have a fuse problem, take it to the dealer. Rip off, no just health and safety.
:help confused.

I was definitely confused by the dealer when I asked them to supply a fuse layout for our van. I was under the impression that given the VIN dealers could pull up the layout and print it off.
"No definitely can't do that sir" On enquiring why not "Health and Safety". Apparently if they supply a layout and
I who have been wiring cars and changing fuses for nearly fifty years change a fuse according to the layout they supplied and it causes problem then they reckon they are liable.
However they are quite willing to sell me fuses in the parts department though.
So. if you have a fuse problem, take it to the dealer. Rip off, no just health and safety.
:help confused.
After all, we are not likely to cause more problems by having to pull each one until we find the blown one are we?
Top tip is take a photo of the fuse layout before fiddling so at least you put them back in the right place!
My T5 Caravelle had a layout card in the fuse cover - that's what we need.
Totally bonkers approach.

If you insist long and hard enough they will print it out for you. Explain that it is your health and safety at risk. Use the example above, can't see for the salt so I'll run into things....

The Beach fuse layout in the VIP section was printed out for me by the dealer. I think they got sick and tired of me in the end and printed it to make me stop pestering them.

So don't take no for an answer and keep a copy on your smartphone as well as some spare fuses.

If you insist long and hard enough they will print it out for you. Explain that it is your health and safety at risk. Use the example above, can't see for the salt so I'll run into things....

The Beach fuse layout in the VIP section was printed out for me by the dealer. I think they got sick and tired of me in the end and printed it to make me stop pestering them.

So don't take no for an answer and keep a copy on your smartphone as well as some spare fuses.

All good but experience on the forum has learned the layout don't always match the verhicle or is diffrent on the same verhicles from diffrent build dates....
Most VW dealers even can't sort it out.

So...can anyone tell me which fuse and where it is please ?

So...can anyone tell me which fuse and where it is please ?

So have you not located the fuse box...
Or the fuse itself ....
Or the spare fuses?

Give us a update on how things are.

If your verhicle details under your avatar are correct it should look like here in this post.
Thas is if your dash looks thesame , have you got the botlleholder?
The upper box.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cigarette-lighter-doesnt-work.10621/page-2#post-99753

Edit : if you take a good look at each of the three shown fuse boxes posted by three difrrent persons in the link above they all are diffrent.....thats what i mean , none looks thesame .
You need to work out for yourself witch fuse does what .

Last edited:
All good but experience on the forum has learned the layout don't always match the verhicle or is diffrent on the same verhicles from diffrent build dates....
Most VW dealers even can't sort it out.
There aren't that many differences HC, your 2nd post above was much more helpful than this statement.

The fuse layout documents in the VIP section are I think for an SE 5.1 and definitely for a Beach 5.1. There may be minor differences between individual vehicles but I'm pretty sure 99% of what you might need to find will be the same for all SEs and all Beaches in those models.

Right...found the fuse pertaining to the washer / wiper and it isn't that....therefore its probably more serious , like the washer motor......

Right...found the fuse pertaining to the washer / wiper and it isn't that....therefore its probably more serious , like the washer motor......

Motor cold be stuck... limescale , or just broken...
Means you have to check under the hood , no idea where it sits but can't be hard to find imo.

Yes it is hard to find,....its under the wheel arch

Right...the latest....the motor is under the left wheel arch....you need star keys to access it.
I have asked VW for a quote on the part of replacing the motor. ( it def is the motor by the way).....they sell them on eBay for £5.99 whereas VW charge £50......so its worth a punt...

The motor is under the left wheel arch

A basic thing to check is under the bonnet if the piping is still connected. I had my washers stop working once on my Brera and it was as simple as the piping had came loose. Used it when it was below freezing and the pressure of a blockage of ice popped it off. Not sure if it can be accessed on a cali easily but worth a look. If the motor is making a noise look for any water dripping down perhaps.

Back