Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

comfort dash

Some prefer the Comfort Dash, others prefer the rugged commercial hard plastic and cubby holes, neither is better than the other, just individual preferences. Live and let live eh and enjoy whatever you choose.
Hard plastic is used cos it is much cheaper to produce/fit and can withstand better the abuse it normally receives in "challenging" work situations. They also don't fit floor carpets or leather covers on the steering wheel etc.for the same reasons.
I have a top of the range Skoda octavia and after 3 years of none 'challenging' work situations, the lovely dash certainky doesnt look lovely no more(marked, scratched, dents in soft keather etc). I have a 10 year old ford connect and the dash looks brand new still and that dash has been absolutely hammered! I plan to keep the cali for many a year so it can be a wise decision to have something that will last the test of time and withstand 2 kids, however, as with most options, each to their own! There are pros and cons to both dashes!

In my personal experience, I've learnt that for times like this it's a case of what does your heart say (assuming the thing is within your budget of course).

Your head can lie to you, but your heart does not.....

You'll have a gut feeling that will either be saying to you 'I really want the comfort dash' or 'it's a waste of money'....whichever one of those two it is, go against your heart and it will be the source of regret, go with it and you'll be smiling each time you get in the vehicle.

I much prefer the digital heating controls that come with the 3 zone, and I don't think I've seen a picture of the climatronic with the standard dash, has anybody seen / got a picture of this combination?
Photos taken in the dark, with and without flash. Not very good I'm afraid.
IMG_2040.JPG IMG_2041.JPG

It has felt covered glove boxes if this is what you mean?
From what I have observed, the Ocean T6 has soft touch vinyl covering on top of the door (where the window switches are) and some fabric covering lower down. I though this may be included with the comfort dash option on the Beach. Are there any Beach owners with these 'comfort' door cards I wonder??

From what I have observed, the Ocean T6 has soft touch vinyl covering on top of the door (where the window switches are) and some fabric covering lower down. I though this may be included with the comfort dash option on the Beach. Are there any Beach owners with these 'comfort' door cards I wonder??
There’s now aftermarket retailers that supply these surrounds in gloss. They look great

Personally I want a car like experience when driving such a vehicle. If I was a trade person driving a van in a challenging working environment, then I would choose differently. One major reason for buying a Cali instead of having a T6 van converted was the "car feel" look. I wanted to enjoy the comfort of 3 zone air con and other little luxuries that a vehicle costing almost 60K should have. We all have our priorities. :)

The Beach Comfort dash does not come with any upgrade to the door cards at all, and also for some reason, the Beach comfort dash has a matt black gearstick and cubby hole flap, where as the Ocean has a gloss black finish.

It's a shame that the Beach does not have the option to the full Ocean dash including the door cards and also the A pillar roller blinds.

Actually, it's a shame that VW do not offer a NO COST OPTION to Delete the whole kitchen and wardrobe and swap to a 3 seat bench in the OCEAN, as it would be far better value than buying a BEACH.

I hate the way most options are packaged to be honest. Why is it always 'if you want this, you have to have that too"?

When I had my Evoque with leather seats as standard I wanted the leather dashboard instead of the fake leather look but they packaged that with an upgrade of memory seats. I have no idea what the relationship was between them except when you only want one thing in the package it's too pricey to justify.
All brands seem to do it.

I much prefer the digital heating controls that come with the 3 zone, and I don't think I've seen a picture of the climatronic with the standard dash, has anybody seen / got a picture of this combination?
Try these.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I hate the way most options are packaged to be honest. Why is it always 'if you want this, you have to have that too"?

When I had my Evoque with leather seats as standard I wanted the leather dashboard instead of the fake leather look but they packaged that with an upgrade of memory seats. I have no idea what the relationship was between them except when you only want one thing in the package it's too pricey to justify.
All brands seem to do it.
Some are truly bizarre. I was looking at a new Skoda Superb, and to get the high end audio option the spare wheel option had to be included.

Actually, it's a shame that VW do not offer a NO COST OPTION to Delete the whole kitchen and wardrobe and swap to a 3 seat bench in the OCEAN, as it would be far better value than buying a BEACH.
I'd just like to see a level playing field! That is both versions with identical base spec and the cost of the options being the same for both models. I would also like UK customers to be able to choose which option they want in the same way that's possible in certain other areas in Europe e.g 4motion on a Beach or Coast with manual roof. The current VW strategy is clearly designed to extract more profit from the UK Beach purchaser possibly in order to subsidise the Ocean price. There would/should still be an overall price difference between the two models but I haven't a clue what that would be.

If there were to be a level playing field then I suppose following this logic Beach prices could come down and Ocean prices rise.

No need to discuss as there isn't a cat's chance in hell of it ever happening. VW's policy is profit driven and that's as it should be even if it ain't fair. No profits = No VW = No California.

Last edited:
Normal dash.jpeg Comfort dash.jpeg

This is a manual gearbox with 3 zone climatronic.

If you download these images, you can flick between them and see the differences :)

Personally, I agree the comfort dash looks nicer...however, the standard dash is just far more practical for our use. So when we order a new T6 (sometime in the next few weeks) we will get the standard dashboard.

VW's market and pricing structure is very clever. There are marked differences between what is available in the UK, as compared to the continent. The most likely reason is that they build a lot more LHD vehicles, so production costs for the UK are likely to be higher. However, in both cases, the primary objective is to empty your wallet with maximum efficiency. The germans are very good at this!

Back