Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging Leisure Batteries

simplybikes

simplybikes

Hi Folks....bought new leisure batteries on Friday and was advised by the garage to run them down as much as possible and then recharge them. Between the fridge and heater I've been trying to run them down. My question is what is the best way to recharge them. I have a 5 hour drive on Wednesday, should I leave it to that to recharge them or plug the van into the mains at home? Advice appreciated.

Ian.

Definitely charge at home from the mains for at least 12 hours

Not sure why they would tell you to discharge them, leisure batteries use different technology to normal batteries and running them down will do more damage than good.

Righto Billy, no more discharging unnecessarily and charge them back up for 12 hours on the mains.
I was not comfortable with the idea of just running them down. They're still at 60% so I take it no harm done.

Cali leisure and vehicle start batteries should be AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries which are safe for an 80% discharge rather than 'conventional' lead acid variants for which only 50% discharge is recommended...so unlikely any damage done.

As far as it goes, discharging to recharge is new advice on me - never heard of it!

Many thanks for the advice folks. Glad I asked the question before I did any damage. Batteries now fully recharged from the mains.

Back