Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure batteries (again!)

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I know there have been many discussions about what to do with leisure batteries over the winter, but I'm now even more confused! There's an article in this month's Camping and Caravanning club magazine on the subject, and there is a comment "... alternatively, a drive of an hour or two every few weeks during the winter should be enough to keep both motorhome batteries in good condition". Is that true? If so, then I'll stop putting my batteries on mains charge every now and again over the winter, as I drive my van about 150 miles once every 10 days all through the winter. Is just driving to recharge enough? Some have suggested not.

I know there have been many discussions about what to do with leisure batteries over the winter, but I'm now even more confused! There's an article in this month's Camping and Caravanning club magazine on the subject, and there is a comment "... alternatively, a drive of an hour or two every few weeks during the winter should be enough to keep both motorhome batteries in good condition". Is that true? If so, then I'll stop putting my batteries on mains charge every now and again over the winter, as I drive my van about 150 miles once every 10 days all through the winter. Is just driving to recharge enough? Some have suggested not.
Driving charges the leisure batteries to around 80%, only mains charging takes them up to 100% so still worth doing once a month and also running the aux heater for at least 30mins on a high temp to keep it clean.

As always the answer is not an easy one.

Ideally for lead-acid batteries to be kept in top condition and therefore prolong their life they need to be charged up fully and allowed to be trickle charged for a number of hours. This last low current charge is important because a lead-acid battery can have sulphur crystals forming on the plates which will reduce the condition of the battery and its life. A number of hours on a trickle charge will break down these crystals and increase the life of the battery. Hence the suggestion to put the van on charge every 4-6 weeks for at least 24 hours.

It is perfectly feasible to drive your van regularly and keep the batteries charged. When my Cali was parked on the road in the past this is what I had to do. However, unless the run is long, more than an hour, you won't get to the trickle charge point long enough to reduce any sulphurisation on the plates.

To add to this, if you have a Blue Motion vehicle, the batteries (both engine and leisure) are only charged to 80% relying on the engine overrun to make up the remaining charge. This technique allows the alternator to free run and reduce the load on the engine during acceleration, increasing mpg and reducing Co2 emissions.

Admittedly, I tend to be a 'belt and braces' type so even though I use our van all year round, I still plug it in regularly. My leisure batteries are now 10 years old. The engine battery needed replacing back in 2018.

Hope that helps.

Alan

That "advise" in that article refers to VW California's ? Or campervans in general ?
I know one thing , my Cali turns eight this july and i never ever had battery issues dispite it are still all three factory fitted battery's . My Cali sometimes is unused for sevral months without even starting the engine .
I never had a problem , but i hook it up about every two to three weeks on 220v for 24h charge.
Don't belive all the articles in magazines , take advise from other owners ;)

If you have an "old" California, or no Bluemotion Technology, your batteries will be charged up to 100% while driving.
If you have Bluemotion Technology or a T6 and up, your batteries will only charge to 80% to leave room for regenerative braking (charging the batteries while you brake).

Even if you drive the van regularly, it can never do harm to put the van on the mains to keep the batteries topped up.

It really is up to you if you find the mains charging too much of a hassle, then you can leave it to charging while driving alone. If it doesn't bother you, it won't harm the batteries neither.

I think these last two responses miss the point that 'driving' in a Cali of any age won't fill the batteries up to 100% as the alternator and split charge system is an unintelligent charger. It brings them up from empty very efficiently, but can't do the fancy charging cycles / pulses that constitutes a trickle charge.
It's a bit like filling a jar with pebbles (engine charging) then filling it with sand while giving it a gentle shake (mains charging).
That is at least the 'big picture' of how it's meant to work... Vw could be telling us fibs, but members here seem to report better camping battery life when charged from the mains.
The theory is that getting them to a proper 100% (pebbles and sand) gives a longer life, perhaps because it breaks down more of those sulpher crystals.

I know the control unit says 100% after a long drive, but plug it straight into the mains and you'll see it charges for a while longer, with the amps going in dropping down very low, but still charging.

Last edited:
I should add that when you are on a campsite and hooked up for more than a day, then you will be charging the leisure batteries fully, including a trickle charge. Driving around while in one location or moving to another site will also keep the leisure batteries up and when back on site the mains charger will take over again.

The only time you should be aware of an issue is if you have the fridge and/or habitation heater on but are not on hook-up, say wild camping, on a site without hook-up or at a festival. These two items will drain the batteries over a number of days.

Having said that, if your batteries are in good condition and just the fridge in use, then you should get 3-4 days (possibly more) of power before the system shuts off due to low battery volts.

One way to solve all battery problems is to fit solar panels on the roof and park up outside. These will keep the batteries fully charged all year round.

Alan

Thanks for all the great contributions! I think I'll just play safe, and put my relatively new (first replacements in 12 years!) batteries on hook-up every few weeks during the winter, even though I drive the van some distance once-in-a-while.

When I purchased my T6 in 2017 I fitted a solar panel kit with Victron Bluetooth charge controller from that day both my batteries have been fully charged and topped up every day since , even though the winter months it still works ( bought my kit from the guy who sells them with a discount ) just checked my batteries are on float charge and 13.9v easy to fit and much cheaper than replacing the batteries

How do you connect up your solar panel? I'd love to do it, but it always looks a bit complicated, as you have to connect up to the battery underneath the passenger seat.

Possibly a silly question but...
In am picking up our first Cali in March. I will not always have the capability of putting van on charge as van will be parked on the street but will be using it regularly as my main mode of transport. Planning to put solar panels on van so will the panel charge the leisure batteries to 100% given enough time (and sun)?

Possibly a silly question but...
In am picking up our first Cali in March. I will not always have the capability of putting van on charge as van will be parked on the street but will be using it regularly as my main mode of transport. Planning to put solar panels on van so will the panel charge the leisure batteries to 100% given enough time (and sun)?
They will at least keep the batteries healthier than driving around with it (80%), or not charging at all.

you can buy the kit from a guy who is a member and he will fit it for you I am sure someone knows who he is , if you buy the Victron charger this will keep your batteries charged without any problem even on dull days
How do you connect up your solar panel? I'd love to do it, but it always looks a bit complicated, as you have to connect up to the battery underneath the passenger seat.

The caravan and camping club 'technical advice' should be never relied on. They have no idea other than advising dumb things like check your tyre pressures and lights work. The questions asked are even worse! When should I get my motorhome serviced.? Errr....sometime between when it's due and before you go away. Thanks for that.

Why the passenger seat?
If you have a California SE or Ocean you just wire to the rear Leisure Battery, underneath the wardrobe, as both batteries are wired in parallel so both batteries will be charged.

Since you're profile doesn't say what vehicle you have, your question is harder to answer. Beach under left front seat, SE/Ocean at the back under the wardrobe.

So grateful for all above advice regarding batteries' top-up during winter months. Have received such conflicting advice from many so called experts at VW centres. Only had my Ocean California (2019) since last August. The previous owner unfortunately didn't look after the batteries during lockdown. They've just been replaced under warranty. I really want to keep them in tip top shape, and thank everyone for very clear, informative, knowledge.