Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changes to new coast

I think that’s why it’s generally skipped in U.K. default builds and standard in Southern Europe. I’d agree that if you are planning long road trips in Italy/Spain/ south of France you probably need it for the rear passenger comfort. In U.K. probably not (maybe 1 or 2 days a year).
Indeed; is it that much skipped in the UK? Could be, don’t know.
An additional plus of the second air conditioning pump is that you can set a pleasant temperature at the back without having to put the air con at full throttle in the front (and actually have it too cold) to cool it down to that pleasant temperature at the back. And it’s faster, much faster. More pleasant to use at high temperatures.

Post in thread 'Changes to new coast' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/changes-to-new-coast.44064/post-571156

I agree that a 2nd compressor would be lovely, but you can tailor the rear passenger experience a little, with some fiddling of the controls. You are not just reliant on pushing the chilled air from the dash vents. There is the additional single vent in the rear too.
Yes, that is true. I carefully viewed the system when changing our order and know about the lower rear vent. I am sure it is adequate as it is but I wanted the extra pump that cools for the rear and not the chilled air from the one pump for the whole vehicle and that thus has to pump some of that chilled air to the rear. That’s why it is faster, which we wanted (we really wanted to travel more comfortable after the old but trusty -not rusty- T4). Also: people now claim “they never touch the rear panel”.. my guess: rather obviously: it isn’t that necessary because of the extra chilled air from the extra pump. I also stated that it is a ‘fancy’ panel but won’t be used much; set temperature and the 3-zone air con does the rest. It’s a choice and each chooses his own.
Happy travels!

Last edited:
Indeed; is it that much skipped in the UK? Could be, don’t know.
An additional plus of the second air conditioning pump is that you can set a pleasant temperature at the back without having to put the air con at full throttle in the front (and actually have it too cold) to cool it down to that pleasant temperature at the back. And it’s faster, much faster. More pleasant to use at high temperatures.
I thought the default Coast build in Southern Europe included the rear aircon as standard (with appropriate cost implications) but obviously it doesn’t in U.K. could be wrong, just something I’d read here before.

I thought the default Coast build in Southern Europe included the rear aircon as standard (with appropriate cost implications) but obviously it doesn’t in U.K. could be wrong, just something I’d read here before.
Rear air con is/was standard. The 3 zone climatronic was a £900 upgrade when we ordered our MY21. The OP was worried that there was nothing at all in the rear which is the common misconception. They need not worry, there is "get out of jail free" AC that will keep most rear passengers comfortable in all but extreme temperatures. So if you missed the ticket box or like me, chose not to spend the extra I don't think it will spoil the experience. In in my humble / biased opinion :thumb

Could be, I don’t know, I’m from Belgium :)
With us, the coast was very basic as standard and you could dress it up a la carte, as it were. I found this very attractive. The air con was also the normal one as standard and the 3-zone air con was a lot more but hey, it is what it is.

Last edited:
We have a coast with the basic aircon. Never needed any extra in the back. However I did buy a small USB fan with a clip that could be attached to the passenger headrest and blow the cold air to the back quicker. Not used it yet . But was only £9.99 so not too much.

Rear air con is/was standard. The 3 zone climatronic was a £900 upgrade when we ordered our MY21. The OP was worried that there was nothing at all in the rear which is the common misconception. They need not worry, there is "get out of jail free" AC that will keep most rear passengers comfortable in all but extreme temperatures. So if you missed the ticket box or like me, chose not to spend the extra I don't think it will spoil the experience. In in my humble / biased opinion :thumb
I meant the 3 zone when I said rear aircon.

Nasze dzieci często kłócą się ze sobą, kto ma sterować tyranem panelem klimatyzacji. Z tego powodu jest często. Może lepiej iść nie mieć ;)!

Nasze dzieci często kłócą się ze sobą, kto ma sterować tyranem panelem klimatyzacji. Z tego powodu jest często. Może lepiej iść nie mieć ;)!
Our children often squabble with each other who is to control the rear air conditioning panel. For this reason, it is often turned off;) Maybe it's better not to have it!

So having read this thread I had a look at my standard Coast. Yes the overhead panel can be used to direct air to the rear (exits by the lower right hand side of the rear seat) but is is not air conditioned……

So having read this thread I had a look at my standard Coast. Yes the overhead panel can be used to direct air to the rear (exits by the lower right hand side of the rear seat) but is is not air conditioned……
Will have to have the AC button on the dashboard illuminated too.

Back