Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carplay/Bluetooth Connectivity

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Struggling with connectivity. CarPlay works most of the time. But occasionally disconnects and won’t reflect the live navigation on my phone.

This seems entirely at random (seemingly not related to 4/5G coverage).

In addition, using the Bluetooth connectivity to the native VW app, it refuses to pair using the setup wizard.

The 4 digit pairing code matches. Bluetooth can see the VW device. Pairing fails. Has occurred 8+ times.

Wi-Fi is connected. I’ve successfully paired on several other VW devices. It’s driving me bonkers.

Never had this issue with other cars and/or devices.

Edit - using iPhone 14 with latest updates.

If you’re trying to use CarPlay via Bluetooth and also have Wi-Fi set up to use the Cali On Tour app, this may be the issue. Mine will only connect to one or the other - ie I have to remove all connections for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and then set up Bluetooth all over again to use CarPlay.

Happy to be corrected if I’m doing something wrong though!

I had a similar problem recently. CarPlay would randomly plot me miles away from current location, inbuilt VW navigation would also plot me miles away from current location. I also had random SOS calls made and when using the phone for voice calls I could hear people fine but they couldn’t hear me. This was using CarPlay wirelessly or via Bluetooth.

This was using iPhone 15 with good signal/reception.

Turns out that CarPlay uses the vans GPS sensors when in use, not the phones.

Had a software update at the dealer on 20th March 2024 and touch wood, no problems since which included a 1400 mile tour of Scotland last week.

I’m still waiting for service details to come through from the dealer to detail what was actually carried out.

I use the USB cable, seems to be the only reliable method…….

Struggling with connectivity. CarPlay works most of the time. But occasionally disconnects and won’t reflect the live navigation on my phone.

This seems entirely at random (seemingly not related to 4/5G coverage).

In addition, using the Bluetooth connectivity to the native VW app, it refuses to pair using the setup wizard.

The 4 digit pairing code matches. Bluetooth can see the VW device. Pairing fails. Has occurred 8+ times.

Wi-Fi is connected. I’ve successfully paired on several other VW devices. It’s driving me bonkers.

Never had this issue with other cars and/or devices.

Edit - using iPhone 14 with latest updates.
I stopped using Bluetooth and the wireless Carplay. It is laggy, due to the connection type and kept connecting when I did not want it to. Just use the wire now. Removes all issue.

Infotainment on my new 6.1 Ocean has been hopeless.
Android Auto connects wirelessly then disconnects after about 20 seconds. Have to use USB.
Every few trips (about 20% of the time) the dash throws up a load of errors: SOS, parking camera, road signs etc. all malfunctioning in various ways. Reverse camera sometimes won't come online
And every ten trips or so the whole centre display simply gets stuck on the user profile loading screen.

From a bit of searching I gather this is a VW-wide problem with MIB3 and has been going on for some years so not holding out much hope of a fix. Just venting here really (as the system is pretty good when it works) but if anyone out there has a fix, or has had this sort of thing successfully fixed under warranty by a dealer, I'm all ears!

I had a similar problem recently. CarPlay would randomly plot me miles away from current location, inbuilt VW navigation would also plot me miles away from current location. I also had random SOS calls made and when using the phone for voice calls I could hear people fine but they couldn’t hear me. This was using CarPlay wirelessly or via Bluetooth.

This was using iPhone 15 with good signal/reception.

Turns out that CarPlay uses the vans GPS sensors when in use, not the phones.

Had a software update at the dealer on 20th March 2024 and touch wood, no problems since which included a 1400 mile tour of Scotland last week.

I’m still waiting for service details to come through from the dealer to detail what was actually carried out.
Mine keeps centring me on previous locations too.

I’d head VW infotainment was weak. This confirms it.

Back