Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites around Perpignan / Spanish Border ?

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are looking at heading down to the Perpignan / Languedoc area this year and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for campsites around the Spanish border?

Hey Martin we might see you down there?

We are heading to Ceret on 20th August for a week but we are camping on a friend of a friends land :grin:

Nice one Mark, we are just working out our route/crossings and thought this is a good place to head for on the Med as it is only 9 hours from the port, we will probably then drive over in to Spain and follow the coast down, do you know the area around Perpignan at all? We have never been there before?

Martin said:
Nice one Mark, we are just working out our route/crossings and thought this is a good place to head for on the Med as it is only 9 hours from the port, we will probably then drive over in to Spain and follow the coast down, do you know the area around Perpignan at all? We have never been there before?

The only times I've been to Perpignan were to pass straight through on the way to Spain so it will be nice to actually visit the area for a change.

We have booked a ferry with DFDS which is Dover - Dunkirk as its only £45 each way with a Cali :thumb

Its only about 15kms up the road from Calais too - We are stopping at Olivet over night on the 20th and then just heading down to Ceret the next day

Sorry I can't be anymore help on the campsites down there :doh

We were last down there in 2007, we'd been virtually full timing for a while and the A7 had (has?) a very bad reputation at the border and down into Spain. The problem was criminals and robbery of vans. The advice was to avoid stopping at the service stations if possible and particularly don't leave the van on it's own to go off together for a coffee, it could be broken into by the time you get back. And avoid those little laybys on the Spanish side with no one on them. If you are alone it makes you vulnerable
Same rules appy to overnighting, avoid the service stations. Vans get broken in to while you are asleep . Not a comfortable thought. Best to go a to a local composite even if it takes a bit longer to find.
There was also a risk of getting stopped over some spurious matter, (" your van is on fire sir, both of you must come and look at it") and they then rifle you valuables. We know of at a number of couple who had this happen to them.
These guys are very aware that we carry all sorts of nice goodies like laptops in our vans.

We still use the A7 so please don't get frightened off but you do need to be aware

David

Thanks for that David, I had read quite a bit about this a few years ago on the Motorhome forums and was not sure how bad it was nowadays, I think we may well be changing location now any way as looking at the last few years in that region it hits 38+ degree's in July/August which is a bit too hot, especially for the dog who collapses as soon as the sun comes out!!

Back to the drawing board :headwall

We drove down that way from Calias week before last.

Dijon > Lyon > Montelimar > Orange (Carpentras/Bedoin/Ventoux) > Nimes > Montpellier > Sete.

We went to a campsite on the pinnacle between SETE & AGDE (who's name escapes me) but didn't like the area. Despite us calling ahead and booking for a late arrival the campsite was closed when we got there. Luckily there was a Municipal nearby that had space however it is more aimed at fully self contained Motor Homes as there are no facilities and it's about 5 - 10 minutes to the nearest toilet. We didn't like the area as it had lots of campsites and seemed like Majorca or Ibiza but without the hotels and nearly everything was closed.

After we'd rested for the night we moved back up towards Le Grande-Motte which was a very nice area and is recommended. (Camping Le Boucanet & Camping Le Garden)

We also visited Phil & Sylv at a lovely site in Millau which we would use ourselves if visiting the area again. (Les Rivages)

Right off the motorway at Montpellier was some of the cheapest fuel we found too :thumb

Drop a PM to PhilCod and ask him for their thoughts as he and Sylv spent 2 or 3 days there I think.

Martin said:
Thanks for that David, I had read quite a bit about this a few years ago on the Motorhome forums and was not sure how bad it was nowadays, I think we may well be changing location now any way as looking at the last few years in that region it hits 38+ degree's in July/August which is a bit too hot, especially for the dog who collapses as soon as the sun comes out!!

Back to the drawing board :headwall

Pleased to help Martin, hope I didn't put you off too much. France is a great camping country. We like the Ardeche Gorge area, spectacular with camping!

David

Back