Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite/Aire to stay on after channel crossing

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

We're planning to go on a holiday to the black forest & Austria in August, and we're looking to go through the tunnel aat about 6-7pm, and then stay overnight somewhere in France before continuing on in the morning.

Has anyone got any suggestions for places to stay about an hour or so out of calais in the direction of Saint Quentin (a26)? we'd need somewhere that doesn't mind us arriving petty late...

Thanks
Dave

Not an aire, but a beautifully kept ACSI inspected site in a little village near St. Quentin. We were sorry we were only staying one night:

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe ... es-103927/

Not sure how late you could arrive but the owners speak good English and I'm sure could advise you. Essential to pre-book in high season as it' s on both the Brit and Dutch routes in and out of France.

http://www.campingstlouis.com/ in Autignues is not far from Calais with easy access to A26. We stayed there last year after going through the tunnel at a similar time. And used it on the way back. It small but all you need for a stopover. We were late as the train was cancelled so I just rang ahead and they were fine about it.
In fact we'll go again this year. There is also Guinnes, but it is expensive.

Europe Shopping Centre just a couple of miles from the tunnel....has an overnighters area in the car park by the supermarket. It's free.

The Calais area is a bit dodgy I think. There's a lot of people hanging around with not too much to do and no money. I'd get out of Calais and put a bit of distance on the clock if you can. Most French towns have aires and they are prob safer than those in Calais. I've stayed in French town supermarket car park aires throughout France in our old t4 but I don't thinK I'd fancy it in or around Calais.

burko73 said:
The Calais area is a bit dodgy I think. There's a lot of people hanging around with not too much to do and no money. I'd get out of Calais and put a bit of distance on the clock if you can. Most French towns have aires and they are prob safer than those in Calais. I've stayed in French town supermarket car park aires throughout France in our old t4 but I don't thinK I'd fancy it in or around Calais.

very sound advice
John

Thanks for all your suggestions...

We're definitely looking to get away from Calais before stopping. A found a campsite called La Paille Haute, which is about an hour or so away from Calais, but I'll definitely check out the other ideas suggested.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=6349

Thanks for all your replies. In the end we booked the St Louis site. it looks nice and is pretty close to Calais.

Thanks again