Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in the winter

M

MalcolmK

VIP Member
I have had my Cali for 2 months now and wondered if anybody goes camping in the winter
If so have you got any tips. Thanks in advance

Yes!
I'd recommend a roof topper to help keep in the warm and reduce condensation while we sleep ( we left it off once and woke up with an almost frosty blanket!) if its very cold/windy you can always sleep downstairs.
The heater is really toasty and runs fairly quietly. Stock up on books and games and booze ;-)
If you want to camp at new year book early- lots of people have the same idea!

cali topper or similar is a must-have. We were camping in minus temps in the spring and it made a big difference having a topper.
We also have a small oil filled heater that fits between the front seats so when hooked-up we can stay toasty without running the diesel heater.

Thanks all. great suggestion Linda I will stock up on the rum. Like the idea of the oil filled rad
Any pictures of the radiator please. I will look into buying a calitopper

Have you considered packing away the cali topper when it's wet? An alternative is
the Brandrup IS0-TOP EXTREME

see http://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup-prod ... ion-vw-t5/

note that the blue ISO-TOP at the top of the page is only a wind stopper. Lower down it shows the grey EXTREME padded version, which is fine down to minus 13C from my experience with the heater on at setting 1. Mine is a T5 but the one shown here says T4

The iso top extreme can't be left in the roof and is a real pain to keep putting on and off

I agree, Victor that it is a bit of a faff to put up and take down but you need something if people are to sleep up and down. If there are just two of you and it's extremely cold, maybe sleep downstairs with the roof down? Certainly, cheaper.

bernie said:
Have you considered packing away the cali topper when it's wet? An alternative is
the Brandrup IS0-TOP EXTREME

see http://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup-prod ... ion-vw-t5/

note that the blue ISO-TOP at the top of the page is only a wind stopper. Lower down it shows the grey EXTREME padded version, which is fine down to minus 13C from my experience with the heater on at setting 1. Mine is a T5 but the one shown here says T4

I have a calitopper and used it 2 weeks ago when it rained all night I was dreading packing it up wet. When we took it off we gave it a good shake and all the water just shook off when it was packed it was nearly dry I just unpacked it and put it on the next day and its fine :thumb

Yes! NEVER try and roll up (stow) your awning if it's wet, damp, icy, frosty etc. and the air temperature is below zero. I did, and it froze solid in the halfway position and became totally unmovable. It took an hour with a mains extension lead and my wifes hair dryer to complete the roll-up.
Whatever you do ... enjoy your camping!
DrJohnB

I never understood how the Iso top works as surely the canvas still gets wet?

The goretex ISO TOP is an extra thin layer that blocks wind and moisture. I leave mine in place all the time. The ISO TOP EXTREME is specifically for very cold weather rather than wet weather though the canvas in the roof should be waterproof. You can always spray the roof canvas with a tent water proofer to be sure.

I was always told we can't spary the canvas with anything :??

Yes vw don't recommend you spray the roof canvas :thumb

I should keep my mouth shut. :eek:

A friend who has just bought a one year old T5 told me he had done it. Wonder why you can't?

I think it is mentioned in the user manual as well. I think the reasoning is it is not the same material as a tent ?

Only problem we have had in winter is condensation. We sleep with the roof down the awning out a little to protect the door window which we leave open a tiny way for ventilation. We also carry a small oil filled radiator or a very small fan heater. The calis own diesel heater is very effective too. The rad can be left on if it very cold. Big thick duvets help above and below! Make sure the wife has warm feet! D + 2ndtimeround.

A topper is a must have for winter camping. We have a Mutze Cap which we have found fantastic, have been as snug as bugs up top in -5 degrees. Lots of people on this forum have Cali Toppers with great reviews.
My personal favourite is a goose down duvet, completely fabulous. Big discounts in the John Lewis sale. Kx

We have a Pucer cover (external insulated cover), windscreen insulated cover, winter duvet, blanket, couple of hot water bottles and a small oil filled heater!!

Warm as toast!